Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My sis just got an 05 civic ex with the D17A2 which has a"learning" ecu which makes it harder to get hp, so we thought a nitrous build would be good. I heard a 35 hp of a dry shot of nitrous would be best on this engine compared to the wet b/c of the 7th gens ecu's. She first is going to get headers, test pipe, exhaust, air intake, iridium cooler plugs from ngk, and a fuel ratio gauge w/ a wideband o2 sensor.

For the nitrous kit we're thinking of this one. Is this a good kit?http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS%2D05122%2D05NOS&N=700+400047+4294907813+4294907812+4294839926+4294906227+115&autoview=sku

I read the nitrous sticky in the forced induction forum but no info on the d17's. We would like to know if anything else is needed. Some other things we think we might need but were not really sure about is a new headgasket, and a tune w/ hondata/crome or what ever she chooses to use. So are we missing anything.

Anyone used nitrous on this engine before?

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
speedfoos is the one here who knows about the D17, try lookin round to his post, not sure if hes done a juice though, but i know he boosted

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
My sis just got an 05 civic ex with the D17A2 which has a"learning" ecu which makes it harder to get hp, so we thought a nitrous build would be good. I heard a 35 hp of a dry shot of nitrous would be best on this engine compared to the wet b/c of the 7th gens ecu's. She first is going to get headers, test pipe, exhaust, air intake, iridium cooler plugs from ngk, and a fuel ratio gauge w/ a wideband o2 sensor.

For the nitrous kit we're thinking of this one. Is this a good kit?http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=NOS%2D05122%2D05NOS&N=700+400047+4294907813+4294907812+4294839926+4294906227+115&autoview=sku

I read the nitrous sticky in the forced induction forum but no info on the d17's. We would like to know if anything else is needed. Some other things we think we might need but were not really sure about is a new headgasket, and a tune w/ hondata/crome or what ever she chooses to use. So are we missing anything.

Anyone used nitrous on this engine before?

I really don't see what the ECU has to do with a dry shot being better than a wet shot. Don't waste your money on a test pipe. It's been proven time and time again that they give like 1-2 whp and that's it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't see what the ECU has to do with a dry shot being better than a wet shot. Don't waste your money on a test pipe. It's been proven time and time again that they give like 1-2 whp and that's it.
are you sure about that, i remember a while back speedfoos said how restrictive the pipes were going to the cat on the 7th gen's, i could custom fab for cheap but a test pipe would be easier, plus i thought the less restrictive ehaust the better on a car w/ nitrous. i could be wrong idk

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
are you sure about that, i remember a while back speedfoos said how restrictive the pipes were going to the cat on the 7th gen's, i could custom fab for cheap but a test pipe would be easier, plus i thought the less restrictive ehaust the better on a car w/ nitrous. i could be wrong idk
The less restrictive exhaust, yeah. A test pipe to replace a cat converter, no.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
the DP on those cars are twin pipes iirc, a pipe inside a pipe and the one doing the flowing is really samll and shitty

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
a few things i MUST clear up for the OP...

first, yes the ecu is a "learning" ecu, meaning it can make timing and fueling adjustments outside of what the "other" ecu's you read about on here can, this does NOT mean that it is restricting horse power...the reason that the d17 does not react well to bolt ons is not because of the ecu, but because of its design as a whole...for instance, the rod stroke ratio is bad for high rpm power, the intake manifold is the worst design EVER!! (i might be exagerating a little here)...and yes the exhuast manifold is a pipe in a pipe configuration for heat purposes...

now to help you out here...don't be stupid, get a wet shot so that you have a complete addition of nitrous AND gas so as to not have a lean situation...get a new header, keep the stock cat, or get a larger "high flow" cat from a respectable company that makes a REAL high flow cat...and last but not least you'll want a cat back that flows nicely...also probably won't hurt to get an intake, but don't go out and get the most expensive one there is...

you'll probably be fine out to a 50 wet shot, this should net you some good gains, and iirc the stock d17 has a very respectable compression ratio for a 87 octane gas burner...however if you decide to use nitrous, i would recommend getting one step colder spark plugs, and run 91 octane (probably don't need anything higher than that) this is not for horse power gain, but for insurance purposes...

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1998 Hatchback
312 Posts
Clint.. aka speedfoos lol.. yeah he knows the d17 but i know about it lol.. After all thats what i started with! LOL.. That motor is crap IMHO...

But if your going to spray i would suggest getting some sort of piggy back controller to help spray a little more fuel from the injectors.

But since its the A2, i have a little experience with it.. With a good driver mod, DC 4-1 Header, Apexi WSII exhaust, Injen CAI i manage to run a [email protected] on that car. so a 35 shot isnt going to help much, maybe get yah in the 14's. Just a little FYI... Then theres always the issue of traction. lol...Ask Clint about that lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i've messed w/ a little racing on my sisters 01 civic ex and wheel hop was terrible, after the motor work we're going to get some stuff to fix that, new bushings etc.

·
Registered
1998 Hatchback
312 Posts
I would suggest fixing that first.. Energy suspension motor mounts, Ingalls TQ dampener, and a nice set of coil overs you will be okay. I wouldn't even bother with nitrous.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would suggest fixing that first.. Energy suspension motor mounts, Ingalls TQ dampener, and a nice set of coil overs you will be okay. I wouldn't even bother with nitrous.
yeah good call, i know she will be getting the coilover's with in a little while, and we might go ahead and get the motor mounts and ingalls tq dampener, depends on prices, i know the first thing she will be doing for sure is the exhaust, and header, b/c she already has the cai thats was on her other 7th gen. thx good suggestion.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
The less restrictive exhaust, yeah. A test pipe to replace a cat converter, no.
I don't want to get in this deep discussion, but have you ever see a dragster with fully built engine with cat converter? stock daily car going to the race track yes, dragtser on a trailers behind a pickup truck NO. Right size and lenght tuned for the whole engine and setup. I tried many cat converters in my car from small to big ones, never get more power at high range only moving litle bit tq in mid rpm band. The best result I got is with headers-test pipe-resonator and muffler of the same size, like 2.25inches diameter.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
i just thought u were suppose togo w/ a dry set-up on the d17's b/c of the ecu, we'll look into a wet kit. also yeah a highflow cat would be good how does this one look, i really like this company it headquarters and design shop are right down the road from me in a small town in georgia http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-70_86/product-890/index.html.

Good point we'll be sure to run 91 octane
this is a good company...and it is going to work like a real cat, and provide a slightly better flow through due to its size increase...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts