Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone, i've been reading up on nitrous applications and i'm becoming interested in purchasing a kit. First of all, I want to know what everyone thinks about using nitrous with an automatic (would it be reliable for a 40-50 shot). Second, is there any recommendations regarding tuning for a 40-50 shot...i've heard about colder plugs and timing. Any input is greatly appreciated, im pretty much a noob so far when it comes to nitrous.

·
Registered
605 Posts
with a 40-50 shot it isnt enought to need colder plugs or mess with the timing u can pretty much run stock everything

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,799 Posts
55 shot via ZEX.....

tranny cooler even if you NEVER EVER do anything else

stock plugs or go to the high speed plugs (one step colder)
stock timing

BUT HONESTLY......

you'd likely see more gains switching to a 5 speed than the gain of running a 50-55 shot on a slushbox.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^^^^Agreed swap the five speed in first then the bottle! For what it's worth I have seen a NOS dry kit run a 75 hp shot through and automatic. Ithandled it regulary for about three months. Then the rods let go but the tranny did hold up the whole time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
^^^^^Agreed swap the five speed in first then the bottle! For what it's worth I have seen a NOS dry kit run a 75 hp shot through and automatic. Ithandled it regulary for about three months. Then the rods let go but the tranny did hold up the whole time.

gotta switch tannies, but my preferences are the wet kits but just my opinion

·
Registered
370 Posts
Look, I know the auto sucks.. but I find it hard to believe it would be slower than a 5spd with a extra 55hp....??? Lets say this engine stock has 105hp and the engine is soaking up 55hp, then you really only have 50? My auto crx feels like it has alot more than 50hp. I don't imagine a auto with nitrous would slaughter a 5spd, but it would still win.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Figure 25-30% power loss throught the auto compared to 12-17% for a 5 speed. Your going to be about even on power with a stock 5 speed, probebly a little over, useing a 55 shot. Now if whoever has the 5 speed and can't shift then you going to put down some time on them.

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
manual trans is a far better upgrade.

·
Registered
370 Posts
manual trans is a far better upgrade.
Well one thing is for sure anyway.. there is no possible way you can add any extra danger to your engine by swapping trannies, nitrous however.. you never know.. So with that in mind yeah.. far better swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look, I know the auto sucks.. but I find it hard to believe it would be slower than a 5spd with a extra 55hp....
yeah those were my thoughts as well...i obviously know the 5 speed would be better for just about any upgrade, be it FI, N/A, whatever, but I just wanted to know how the auto would take it. I may hold off on the nitrous now...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am working on a turbocharged auto, I imagine it would have a similar effect on the tranny. Maybe worse because nitrous is instant power. Anyway from the reading I've done a auto can work but isn't the most reliable setup either.. Having a big tranny cooler is a must.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts