Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welp, here it is. A build thread. Figured since I'm doing some major updates to my car in the next month that I should start one.

To do list:

1. Steering wheel
  2. Sun visors
  3. Coolant bottle
  4. MPFI conversion
  5. Shock/spring swap
  6. Swaybar (brackets)
  7. Subframe brace
  8. Camber kit
  9. Rear lower control arms
  10. Swap all Si seats into STD
  11. Gauge cluster swap
  12. Front hub swap (23 to 26 spline cv)
  13. more...
Anyway, my car is a 1990 ED6. Standard model. Hatchback. Red.

History time. A long time ago. Somebody owned this car, and the d15 decided it didn't want to run anymore. So they took it to my dads shop, where he replaced the engine with a ZC and what I'm assuming is a DX 5 speed. The owner decided he didn't want to pay for the work completed, so I guess he sold the car to my dad, or it got liened. not sure exactly. Anyway, I turned 16, and got the car for my birthday. I hated it. Back then I wanted nothing to do with Japanese cars. And to be completely honest, I'm still not sold on Honda's. There's a lot of the culture around it that I'm not a fan of. But I grew to like my civic. So here's the build.

This is what the car looked like from 2007 to 2012:

More pictures here

I decided that I was going to drive this car, and didn't like the pink paint job, courtesy of the Southern California sun. So here's the in progress paint stuff:

Album here, I'll post a couple highlight photos.

So that's where the story of the paint ends.

I got tired of the faded side trim. So I decided to plasti-dip it. I think it turned out well.

before

after

This is where the story ends for now. This weekend I'm picking up a wrecked 89 Si and I'm going to swap in all the fun bits. Stay tuned

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

So I swapped a few parts over tonight.

-Steering wheel

-Sun Visors

-Coolant overflow reservoir. (I was using a fiji bottle for this previously)

-Battery and battery tie down.

No big stuff yet. and nothing really worth taking pictures of.

To do list:
  1. Steering wheel
  2. Sun visors
  3. Coolant bottle
  4. MPFI conversion
  5. Shock/spring swap
  6. Swaybar (brackets)
  7. Subframe brace
  8. Camber kit
  11. Gauge cluster swap
  13. more...

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
Huh? No pixors?

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
FYI
all those spots you saved will be lost after a short time... you are only able to edit post up to a certain time frame and its not very long...

just check my million dollar paint thread, i have a bunch of post saved but lost them all :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I swapped a few parts over tonight.

-Steering wheel

-Sun Visors

-Coolant overflow reservoir. (I was using a fiji bottle for this previously)

-Battery and battery tie down.

No big stuff yet. and nothing really worth taking pictures of.

To do list:]

1. Steering wheel
  2. Sun visors
  3. Coolant bottle
  4. MPFI conversion
  5. Shock/spring swap
  6. Swaybar (brackets)
  7. Subframe brace
  8. Camber kit
  11. Gauge cluster swap
  13. more...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So today I decided to do a couple more things.

I swapped the rear hatch hydraulic lifts, because the donor car had better ones. The ones on my car wouldnt even hold the hatch up.

Swapped the rear left tail light because mine was cracked. What a pain in the ass. The one from the donor car only uses 4 bulbs and the mini-harness is different. I had to snip the connector from my old one and splice it onto the new one...

And it's too short. Fuck me. I had to extend it.

And I pulled the driver seat from the donor car.

Seat bracket is broken, so hopefully I can get that welded up. I really like the seats from the Si much better than the ones on my car. Stupid vinyl.

·
Registered
276 Posts
does your car have the d15b1? If it does, a mpfi swap won't give you any gains, and will likely make it run rich. The d15b1 cam is very small and restrictive. Either before you go mpfi or at the same time, do a cam swap. b2/7 and a b2 ecu while staying dpfi will give you about +20 hp and will set you up for the mpfi later. Even better would be mpfi with an a6 cam - just read about the a6 cam gear compatibility if you go that route.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
does your car have the d15b1? If it does, a mpfi swap won't give you any gains, and will likely make it run rich. The d15b1 cam is very small and restrictive. Either before you go mpfi or at the same time, do a cam swap. b2/7 and a b2 ecu while staying dpfi will give you about +20 hp and will set you up for the mpfi later. Even better would be mpfi with an a6 cam - just read about the a6 cam gear compatibility if you go that route.
No my car has a ZC. Pretty sure I mentioned that in the main post. Otherwise id just swap the entire d16 in from the Si

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
I like the turn around so far. And you sound like me, I am not into the whole honda scene and way of life, but they are great cars that are fun to drive.

If your car has the ZC SOHC engine then that is good, it is one of the best non-vtec SOHC engines honda made, get that MPFI swap done and you will have a blast. Si tranny would be good too, shorter gearing is always fun.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Welp... i hit a snag today...

I learned that 89 seats do not swap into a 90. FUCK ME. I hear theres some sort of pan swap you can do. If anybody can PLEASE link me to one I would be pretty grateful.

I finished swapping the brake lights and i changed the rear bezel.

Extenders for the plug because 89 tails are different from 90's

I set the 89 seat in the car to see how it would look.
I WANT IT SO BAD :(

1 - 20 of 82 Posts