Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade my DSM 1g bov. I have one off a junkyard unit that is crush modded with a nickel (small crush), it works flawlessly to 18psi, but pushing it any further (I was @ 21-22psi at the end of last season) and it starts to flutter

My cold side charge piping is one piece, and would be very hard to re-create just to change the flange, and since it is powdercoated, I would prefer to just eat the bullet and get a not so popular bov/flange and stick to my options with the existing 1g flange on my piping.

What bov do you guys suggest? Appreciate any help

·
Registered
333 Posts
My old DSM had the most retarded sound when I crushed the BOV. Sounded like a tweety bird singing.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
If you crush them too much they dont work at all. I remember there being a mod for the stock one just cant remember how to find it. Im pretty sure a greddy rs style bov will fit you just have to redrill the holes.. Its been 6 years since I had one and even then I dont remember there being a bolt on aftermarket bov.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forge makes a bov for about $150, they have issues in the past with sealing, seems good now

Agency-power make one for $250, never heard of it, has alot of twist dials and barbs on it though.....

Or I just stick to 20psi, keep my the dsm 1g bov, and keep my motor together longer on not so high boost...

The flutter I experienced at the end of the year was no fun though, completely kills power

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
just cut the bov flange and just change to a different flange. that's probally the best thing to do instead of hunting around and coming up with nothing. most dsm guys may also tell you to get an adapter. my neighbor h as a 1G talon and he ran a BOV with adapter flange until he had custom intercooler piping made for a FMIC ...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just cut the bov flange and just change to a different flange.
You missed the part where I mention my pipe is powdercoated and I would like to NOT have to redo that ontop of the cost of a new bov, changing the flange isnt an option.

I *may* end up with an adapter, but there definetely seems to be some bov's that will bolt directly to a 1g flange. I would like a quality bov, but am still hoping to keep the price down, I dont care so much for the bling and sound, just high boost function and reliability.

The dsm 1g bov was AMAZING for the price until I really started to up the psi

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
how much are you paying for powder coating? doesn't make sense to have buy an adapter AND the new BOV vs powder coat the single charge pipe.

pics of your set up? I'm curious why you can't make the cold side removable by using a coupler/bead it. if you do that you have your pick on bovs

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much are you paying for powder coating? doesn't make sense to have buy an adapter AND the new BOV vs powder coat the single charge pipe.
No matter what I need a new bov so I dont get why you say it like that, only the adapter would be the extra expensive vs getting a new flange welded and the pipe recoated, the adapter being a third of the price.

pics of your set up? I'm curious why you can't make the cold side removable by using a coupler/bead it. if you do that you have your pick on bovs
I have a ONE piece cold pipe. only a coupler on the backdoor i/c and the t/b, why would I add moreciuplers and clamps to change bov's?

Redrilling the dsm flange for a greddy is an option, but Ive never been a fan of how many have diaphragm and adjustment problems they seem to be prone to on a daily, and the jdm fans boys seem to have the price sky high on them right now

·
Registered
EK Sedan
347 Posts
I have a knock off greddy type s new in the box in my garage if you want it. I ended up going with the type rs before I ever used the one that came with my charge piping. My rs seems to hold around 19-20 psi good, don't know how much more it would handle but im sure the internals on the type s knock off and the type rs knock off are the same... just haven't turned up the boost anymore is why I don't know.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wouldnt trust a knock off for 20+ psi

Go with a name brand, the turboxs rfl is a good bov as it is very simple piston design with no diaphragm to rip

The HKS SSQV is my all time favourite, but they run $250+ new

No matter what you buy, be very cautious and check the pictures thoroughly, there are alot of fakes out there, and people not even knowing there selling fakes

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually just pulled the trigger on the Agency Power bov, very good reviews from the evo and dsm guys from what I can see, most using it as a recirculating valve, but it has the ability to run 50/50 or full atmosphere dump which is how I will obviously run it as I dont have a MAF

$190 shipped seemed like a good deal and it bolts to the existing 1g flange no changes or adapters....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380720739900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
No matter what I need a new bov so I dont get why you say it like that, only the adapter would be the extra expensive vs getting a new flange welded and the pipe recoated, the adapter being a third of the price.

I have a ONE piece cold pipe. only a coupler on the backdoor i/c and the t/b, why would I add moreciuplers and clamps to change bov's?

Redrilling the dsm flange for a greddy is an option, but Ive never been a fan of how many have diaphragm and adjustment problems they seem to be prone to on a daily, and the jdm fans boys seem to have the price sky high on them right now
I was asking because I'm curious as to your limitations. not trying to flame or pick a fight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts