Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at engilshtown today with my pops he's almost 70 years old we both love john force the guy is a legand. But most of all we love the funny cars/top fuel. This race is usally on fathers day and i've been trying to drag my dad to this race for years and we finally get to go we meet john force shake his hand he's a great guy funny as fuck thats a dream come true right there. But the day ended on a sad note with a life ending crash taking the life of Scott Kalitta. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU I know theres a thread about this already but i was there and just wanted to share my thoughts on how quick you life can end. Be careful out there fellas.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I heard about that yesterday and saw the vid. It burst into flames near the finish line after a good run and it didn't slow down. Didn't slow down much if any...makes me think the explosion did him in. RIP.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
not going into details here.........but he was knocked out and never got on the brakes........
They should come out with something that can let the crew stop the car by remote control or something. I knew that first explosion probably knock him out, but it there was a way to stop a car at the speed he was going that probably could have save him from the crash at the end of the track. Also something to stop all that flame, if the driver is out how the hell he is gonna press that fire safety thing , hit the brakes or the parachute.

Its just sad.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
thats terrible. prayers to his family. The video also doesnt work anymore, nhra took it off.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
They should come out with something that can let the crew stop the car by remote control or something. I knew that first explosion probably knock him out, but it there was a way to stop a car at the speed he was going that probably could have save him from the crash at the end of the track. Also something to stop all that flame, if the driver is out how the hell he is gonna press that fire safety thing , hit the brakes or the parachute.

Its just sad.
Lets just sit around a camefire and sing kumbyya (sp!)......

I've seen the after pics.....wadded up frame, broken axle housing.......

My best guess......the sand trap flipped him and while upside down the BACK of the car hit the cement post that held the barrier.

Better Chutes, remote deployment, rear brakes at 50% and when crossing the finish line......but what if that fails? Electro Servo valves to shut off the fuel valves at the finish?

1000?

One mag?

I won't get into the timing retard MANDATES of NHRA to slow the cars already, but 275-280 mph at the 1/8.......think about it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I know that the speed that this people run any mistake and its almost a garantee you will get hurt, if you are one of the lucky ones. I just think they should come up with something. But I get your point bones, its just a sad ending that maybe in time and more research and development, could be preventive.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
There is a pic floating around that shows his hand reaching for the chutes as the body was blowing off......or he was knocked out and let go of the wheel.

IF I had to go out, it'd be like that or Dale Sr did.

When it is your time, accept fate. I'd rather go quickly than be a veggie.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
IF I had to go out, it'd be like that or Dale Sr did.

When it is your time, accept fate. I'd rather go quickly than be a veggie.
You got that right, even my father says that to me, " I hope the day I die, It will be quick, I don't want to be all sick and in pain till I die"

If I die let be racing or having sex, LOL. either way I be happy!!!

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
if there is a way to help this type of event from happening i would like to think either the NHRA or another entity is efforting the R&D work to get it handled...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
plenty going on, just not seen HERE.

KK talking about retiring, Gary as well. Force might hang it up too.

Thing is, the track had little to do with it.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
plenty going on, just not seen HERE.

KK talking about retiring, Gary as well. Force might hang it up too.

Thing is, the track had little to do with it.
Englishtown is one of the best track in the nation, thats why almost in all of the events at that track theres always a new record being broken, is better to retired now and just relax, but this guys have racing in their vains is not easy to retired even thou a lot of them have enougth money to do so, they just doing it for the love of the sport.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts