Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,
I want to plan my next engine build, but with the experience and knowledge gained mostly from this forum, I know it be twin cam, electronic fuel injection at the very least.

As previously posted here, I scored a 2nd 1989 ED 1.5 twin carbs.

Yep, I got the bug now, so I'll start hunting around for donors.

What exactly do I need to rip out of a donor car, be it at the wreckers, or buy a smashed car and rip out engine / electrics / cables / plugs etc ?

I be stabbing in the dark to start off with, I'm asking in case I miss something during an opportunity and that part I may have needed may be gone the next day.

Is there a list of all the essentials from a donor car or wreck to do a engine swap from SOHC carburetor, to DOHC EFI, and fit straight in the ED chassis ?

What size engine and what engine numbers do I look for ? ( Australia )

Thanks

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
If you can score a wrecked ED CRX then you'll be set. They'll come stock with the EFI DOHC ZC. Alternatively if you can find a Concerto, you'll have yourself an EFI SOHC D16 which is also not a bad thing. Either way you'll need to pillage the fuel tank, motor with front and rear manifolds, ECU, Front bulk head cabin harness ( You'll need to do some rewiring due to spec differences). That's the bulk of it off the top of my head. Either of those cars will also give you rear disc brakes and larger fronts.

Specifically with the CRX, if you swap the final drive from your sedan you'll end up with a super fun short ratio box

The EG SI also had a DOHC ZC, except in OBD1 form if you're set on a DOHC motor, but the rest of the parts in the car aren't as useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts