Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I picked up my car from my tech just a few days ago. I've had the transmission rebuilt with new carbon synchros and a shorter 3rd, 4th and 5th. More importantly to the topic, I had a new head built.

The motor is a d16z6. The head was ported and polished, a Rocket Motorsports stage 4 camshaft, springs and Ti retainers were installed. I'm using a 60mm ported y8 intake manifold with port-matched runners to the head. I also had a Walbro 255 pump and B&M (IIRC) fuel pressure regulator.

Last year I had the block built with 75.5mm P29's and was running a Bisi stage 2 cam in a stock head. The AEM cam-gear was set back to 0* by the mechanic since he didn't know what it should be set to with these modifications. The distributor is also at 0*.

The car does not want to idle. I took it out for a little spin this evening to see if I can feel any issues. I need to keep feathering the throttle to keep it from dying. Any time the revs dip below 500-1000RPM the engine shuts off.

I have a tune scheduled for next week Wednesday and I'm assuming that will erase this issue, however, I need to get it there. This requires driving in nearly an hour of potential traffic.

Any suggestions? Should I try advancing or retarding the timing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
advancing the camshaft a degree or two might help the low end but you need to make sure you have enough P2V clearance for that. advancing the timing would help possibly but it would also advance your full throttle timing and part throttle timing.

Check your IACV and see if its clogged, possibly open the air bleed screw on the throttle body a touch to get it to idle around 900-1000 just for the time being.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
why not ask rocket for a cam card and set it up properly?

·
Registered
777 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rocket motorsports is awesome I talked with him many times about different automotive subject I'm sure he can give you a cam card. But till then with out a tune I would do like the guy above and raise the idle a bit the choppy idle from a big cam not letting the ecu hold it target settings for idle hence it stalls. Friend of mine had a bisi cam stage 5 and it didn't like to idle below 1200 and it still camed at that Idle speed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robert at Rocket has been incredibly helpful throughout this process. I've been in touch with him from the concept inception right up to now. He's made some recommendations concerning the idle issue as well.

I've thought about trailering it but I think it'll be fine if I adjust the throttle.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Crack open the TB with the tb stop screw if you have to, to keep it idling without a tune.

Make sure to tell the tuner to set it back before he starts to tune it, he should be able to get it to idle with the ecu/IACV.

Make sure your valve lash is good to go.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may have discovered the problem and I think I've temporarily corrected it until I get the tune.

The intake manifold I'm using is from a d16y8. The throttle cable bracket sits further to the driver's side on the y8 IM than the z6. The z6 throttle cable will not work if it goes into the y8 bracket as it is when mounted with the two 10mm bolts. When I built the bottom end last year I had to move the bracket to the bolt hole closest to the passenger side in order for it to work properly. The bracket is held on with just the one bolt but it worked fine last year.

I think my mechanic may not have considered adjusting the slack on the throttle cable when he reinstalled it. It could see that it had a considerable amount of slack when the throttle body was closed. I adjusted the cable position using the two bolts on the cable and also a little at the mounting point for the bracket. I was able to get around 1500rpm and then down to just under 1000rpm when warm.

I'll revisit the throttle cable position with the tuner when I see him on Wednesday.

Thanks!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So...

I went and had a dyno tune done yesterday. I'm very happy with the results :) I'll make a post about it later.

But the tuner sorted out the idle issue. He resent the throttle cable and using his computer-savvy ways, smoothed out the idle. He did say that his system was showing some signs that the IACV may be partially clogged or blocked. I'll get to that once I have the chance.

Stay tuned!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts