Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I apologize ahead of time for the wall of text!

Although I've been a frequent visitor of the forum here for quite some time, I've never gotten around to actually posting. However, that time has come, as I am in need of some real help!

First of all, let me say that I - in no way, shape, or form - would consider myself to be what one might call 'all knowing' when it comes to this stuff. I'm here in search of some help from the real D-Series gurus. So if I come back to any of you with a 'noob' comment, don't be surprised at all

Now onto the point -
A couple years ago I purchased a blue 1990 Honda Civic RT 4WD Wagon (D16A6) in fair shape. There was of course all the little problems that come with a 20 year old car, but it was in decent running condition

- It was my second car, and the first car I ever bought with my own money
- I loved it
-Drove it for a few years
-Things were great
- Its head gasket finally gave out at around 180k - I got the vehicle with around 140k

Needless to say, everybody told me to scrap it and put it behind me. "It's more trouble than it's worth" Blah Blah

Anyways, I'm in the process of a stock rebuild that will put me back onto the road - while replacing things along the way that need it - while I have the car torn apart. I enjoy doing the work, and love putting the effort into the wagon. However, this is my first true tear down and rebuild of a car, so there are going to be bumps along the way I can expect.

THE REAL ISSUE - -

Today I got around to finally removing the wiring harness, and as it goes with a lot of the wiring clips and inserts I've seen, they get brittle and break easily due to the long exposure to the heat.

- The O2 Sensor's plug-in which is connected to the wiring harness itself broke off as I was removing the harness. Dang.

- The O2 Sensor itself and the wiring insert which meets up with the harness is still perfectly fine.

WHAT I NEED TO KNOW - Is there any way at all to reconnect these wires in a safe/dependable way without throwing some sort of codes? Is it possible to splice the wires and crimp them directly into one another?

For example
How it should be - I think?

(O2 Clip in Harness)>(Into Clip at end of O2Sensor)>(O2 Sensor into Manifold)

Would this work? (Probably not haha)

(Wire from O2 Clip in Harness)>(Tied with wire coming directly from O2 Sensor, from Manifold)

Essentially just removing the clip from the end of the O2 Sensor wire and crimping it to the wire that is now exposed at the harness

Again, if this is totally retarded, I'm sorry for wasting your guy's time haha, but any help at all is appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
1990 Civic Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I didn't want to hear, haha

Surely there's another way that doesn't involve trashing my harness?

It's just the O2 Sensor connector on the harness that is bad - everything else is good to go

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
go to honda and see if they can order the wire plug

you can also choose to get a new O2 sensor, and hardwire it in. denso is recommended if not getting oem honda sensor

hardwiring is fine if you replace that sensor, as they last several years as long as you do NOT have any exhaust leaks between the cylinder head and sensor.

EDIT or junkyard and cut the sensor plug from any 80'-early 90's car/truck

·
Registered
20 Posts

you can also choose to get a new O2 sensor, and hardwire it in. denso is recommended if not getting oem honda sensor

hardwiring is fine if you replace that sensor, as they last several years as long as you do NOT have any exhaust leaks between the cylinder head and sensor.

Agreed^^ probably your best cheapest quick and least problematic solution .. I think it would be easier to solder in some newer ends than dive in and swap out entire harness.. Plus there's a ton of videos on YouTube that teach you how to solder.

·
Registered
160 Posts

^^^ agreed here , but a new harness might not be a bad idea , could give you the opportunity to wire tire it... not sure if your looking for the clean finish or not but just thinking down the road

·
Registered
93 Camaro (backup)
491 Posts
There is no way I would replace an entire harness because one little clip was broken. Like stated above, I would go to a junkyard and just find an a6 car if possible and cut the clip you need then just solder it onto your harness and heat shrink it up.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
you guys make it seem like replacing an entire harness is difficult. i dobit in my sleep. any who OP your post was so long i didnt realize only 1 plug was bad you made it seem like many on your harness were going bad. but if its just the o2 do what everone else said go to junk yard and clip the parts you need and wire them in

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1990 Civic Wagon
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good!

I'll have to make a day of going to the local junkyard here to find the harness clip

Also, when I do finally get the parts I need, would it be just as possible to wire the new Clip onto the harness via a crimp-on terminal? Followed by wrapping up the new connection as well as I could

Or is soldering the only way to ensure a good connection?
Again - I'm new here, sorry for any stupidity:uh:

I really appreciate you guys helping me out:biggrin:

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
987 Posts
We need pictures of said WAGON!!!! asap

Also yes JY find a A6 get anything you need, want, or might need later.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Is it just the plastic part that broke?

If so you can de-pin the connector and get another one from a junkyard from almost any 80's single wire o2. This way you have no soldering or crimping.

·
Registered
93 Camaro (backup)
491 Posts
you guys make it seem like replacing an entire harness is difficult. i dobit in my sleep. any who OP your post was so long i didnt realize only 1 plug was bad you made it seem like many on your harness were going bad. but if its just the o2 do what everone else said go to junk yard and clip the parts you need and wire them in

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Engine harnesses are easy, but it's 10x easier to replace a connector than to tear out a harness and install a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts