Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Sry im not posting in the newb section, but it seems as though no one follows up over there so i decided to post here. I'm about to purchase a 89 crx si next week and im very excited to be back to the honda side of the tuner world. I've been researching alot about which engine i wanted to go with for the rex, and ive decided to be the underdog and go wit the mighty d! Plus everybody and their granny goes wit a b swap, but in my eyes that swap is just to expensive considering the d has so much hidden potential, and it seems way more cost effective to. Now if u guys dont mind, i just want to be set in the right direction in what to do with my engine for building boost wise(btw the motor in the rex im looking at is the single cam zc motor)but i was thinking about buying another one and build it on the side(d16z6 i presume)

Im going to list some things and just tell me what else i should get/change

Vitara pistons with the i beam rods??
turbo build kit from fj
880 injectors?? or whats something under those that will get the job done
oil line kit?? (im guessing go-autoworks has a good one)
I have a ct26 supra turbo that i can use(not sure if it will be good enough)
any specific intercooler?
intercooler piping kit from go-autoworks good?
Hf manifold or just get a log??
Exhaust?? do they make a e-cut out exhaust for the rex??
Intake manifold??
Throttle body??

Not sure if im leaving anything else off, thx for ur help guys!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
what are your plans for tuning software?
hp goals?

and Greg will help you out with what ever you need.....He does great work as well built to your needs even:bigok:

you will also need a good suspension.....

im sure im missing some.....

just look around at the build threads there are plenty of great ones here

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
put a walbro fuel pump on the list.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o yea i forgot to put my goals, Im shooting for the 300 or more, im not sure what to use for tuning, whats a good software that peeps use nowadays?? yea i didnt post anything about suspension because i just wanted advice on the engine and boost, and problems with the HF manifold??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, slight change of plans. I just got a Free running d16y8 motor:), so my question is, can i still get that same turbo build kit from fj ro fit the d16y8?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sure can, just make sure you port and shim the y8 oil pump. If you could go through the extra time and expense swaping motors out twice, it would be safer to build the zc bottom end.
For that turbo just run the hf manifold to get you started but still plan on up grading the turbo and manifold later.
Don't worry about the intake manifold, throttle body or cam under 400 but get them if you can afford um . Y8 manifold or better, 60-62 throttle body, stg2 cam.
Exhaust cut outs are usually genearic and you just half to look for the size you need and splice it in.
Add a socketed ecu to the list. Obd1 for less head aches.
2.5" down pipe at least and a 2.5 bar map sensor should get you there with the wabro of course.
For inter cooler be sure on you're power goals because the smaller 28x7x2.5 is good but you don't want to regret going too small if you decide to go high horse power.
Don't forget the clutch upgrade. Lightened flywheel isn't needed but stay in the middle for weight. I went too light and other guys are complaining about going too light for boost because they have the 7.5 lb like mine. It doesn't seem be a problem with fts. Keep in mind the rods will add a little weight.
Start thinking about adding better valve cover venting. Mine is ugly but works.

·
The H Badge is it!
5,657 Posts
firstly, if youre going for 300 whp, forget the ct26 existed. get a garrett (or ebay.. if youre like that..) t3/to4e turbo at least, and 880cc injectors id say are over kill, use 450s or 550s if you dont like to live on the edge.. lol

secondly, dont get a log manifold. not saying your goal cant be acheived with one, just its easier with a ram or mini-ram. dont be afraid to spend some money here. same for the wastegate.

3rd: get a front mount intercooler, dont consider a sidemount or anythign less. 6"+, id actually go with an 8".

exhaust: get a 3" system, straight pipe with a muffler. end of story.

charge piping and bov: you have 2 options here.. aluminum or steel (stainless or whatever). steel is ultra durable and any ass hole can weld to it. aluminum is pretty strong, and the advantage is that is discipates heat very very well (additional cooling past the intercooler). and as far as the bov is concerned, get a real one. not a 1g dsm or a chinese one from xs power, an hks ssqv, tial 50mm (my favorite :) ) or greddy type rs or something like that..

edit: forgot the most important part!! tuning. please please please dont even look at shit like a apexi vafc or anything like that, chipped ecu.. thats the only option.

lastly: i beleive fj motorsports puts together a kit for the y8, just get that one. and vitaras will be fine for the build you're considering. they have been used on 400, and some 500+ hp setups! metal headgasket, etc etc, and the stock i/m and tb are ok to use, but to make the goal a little easier, get something like a skunk2 or the blox knockoff, and 60mm b16 throttle

that should do you. but also consider suspension and other stuff. you gotta get the power to the ground :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thx for the info bro, well the original crx i was suppose to get, the guy isnt calling me back, but i do have back-up plans, and I just got this motor for free. there are 2 shells that i was looking at for cheap, so i might end up wit one of those. where do i go about getting the hf manifold and and adaptor plate?, which tranny should i go wit??, for the cam i was thinking about just sending the one in the motor i have to delta for the 272 grind(i think thats what it is), and go ahead and get a cam gear. Also valve cover venting?? not sure what to do about that subject..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought the ct26 was a decent sized turbo for the numbers im going for, and its kind of hard to forget it exist considering it was free lol. The exhaust issue wit me is that i already own i loud car, so i dont want 2 loud cars, i dont mind sacrificing a couple hp to be quieter :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and also about those chipped ecu's, are all chipped ecu's the same or something?? im new to the honda ecu's and stuff, should i find a chipped p28? or a virgin p28?

·
The H Badge is it!
5,657 Posts
thx for the info bro, well the original crx i was suppose to get, the guy isnt calling me back, but i do have back-up plans, and I just got this motor for free. there are 2 shells that i was looking at for cheap, so i might end up wit one of those. where do i go about getting the hf manifold and and adaptor plate?, which tranny should i go wit??, for the cam i was thinking about just sending the one in the motor i have to delta for the 272 grind(i think thats what it is), and go ahead and get a cam gear. Also valve cover venting?? not sure what to do about that subject..
well, since you arent really getting the crx, the question is: what car are you getting??? it really does make a difference. if the chassis is obd1 then you dont need to convert to obd1 or anything (obd1 is ideal - the best tuning programs are based on it as a footstone). the whole hf manifold thing with an adapter plate, forget it. if you want something badass under the hood, go with AT LEAST a log.. not some ghet-ified hf setup. ive been there, done that. if i could do the whole boost thing all over again, id definitely use a real manifold and a T3 based turbo.

the transmission used should probably be the Si or ex version.. or something like that depending on the shell, hydro or cable trans. and remember, always buy your clutch and flywheel to match the transmission, not the motor!
i thought the ct26 was a decent sized turbo for the numbers im going for, and its kind of hard to forget it exist considering it was free lol. The exhaust issue wit me is that i already own i loud car, so i dont want 2 loud cars, i dont mind sacrificing a couple hp to be quieter :)
the ct 26 is a decent sized turbo.. and pushing it real hard id guess youd probably get the goal youd want. but the issue is, its a turbo that is designed for a specific car, so getting it to work for your setup, and making upgrading a breeze, is a whore. if you get a t3 based turbo, a generic inlet flange, basically generic dp flange, and any asshole's oil line kit will work on it. its just my suggestion to make YOUR life a little easier in the long-run.

when i was boosted in my crx, i ran a 2.5" straight mandrel bent pipe to a dynomax 2.5" muffler, and the only thing i heard at idle was the dsm 450cc injectors ticking their little hearts out, and the slight hissing of the turbo sucking in air thru the k&n filter. and i'd reckon a 3" would only be slightly louder, if at all.
and also about those chipped ecu's, are all chipped ecu's the same or something?? im new to the honda ecu's and stuff, should i find a chipped p28? or a virgin p28?
obd1 chipped ecus are all "the same" persay.. they can all be converted to run vtec motors, if they arent already,a nd they all use the same plug. only real differences are obd1 and obd0. a chipped p28 is the ecu used to control the d16z6 vtec engine, so that means the chipper didnt have to convert it. a virgin p28 just means its taken from the car and slapped into a box to ship. its not chipped, or anything. my recommendation is to find a chipped, vtec converted p06 ecu. generally they are cheaper.

oh, and i highly recommend reading the above linked thread, and also make an account on homemadeturbo.com, theres a lot of useful info there as well as some good deal on good quality parts.

remember:
fast - cheap - reliable
you can only choose 2 of these words..........

any other ?'s??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, i like your responses haha. Sorry that i didnt make it clear, Im getting a CRX for sure, i just may not get the one that i mentioned previously, i know of 2 more crx shells to get on backup. Yea im deciding to ditch the ct26 and go with a garrett t3/t4 .63ar(no need to cheap out on the main part). Also i found some evo 9 mr injectors, they are 560cc u think i could make those work for my set up?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Go with FJ Dist, and Go-Autoworks for the turbo set up/intercooler and rods, i have both and their service is excellent. not to mention they have a lot of people here that can vouch for them as well.

Dont mess with the EVO injectors. Tunertoys has some injectors in all flow ranges that dont require any resistor wiring because they are high impedance, so thats a plus.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the only reason i considered the evo injectors was because i can get them for 100bucs, im checking out tunertoys.com now. but they are down for maitenance atm

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dont mess with the EVO injectors. Tunertoys has some injectors in all flow ranges that dont require any resistor wiring because they are high impedance, so thats a plus.
crxs have resistor boxes stock so that would be easier to run low impedance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, it was a deal that just came by me, i can go out and buy some expensive injectors if needed

1 - 20 of 30 Posts