Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
EJ6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been a lurker on the forum for a good while now. I've got a 2000 EJ6 sedan and have a few seemingly noobish questions, hear me out.

First and foremost: D16 headers. Upon close inspection online, both on forums and vendors, most D16 headers seem to be sorta universal. Is that right? I'd be looking at buying just a generic Ebay header to replace mine. (see here.)

Next off, being that my car is still OBD2B, I'm going to be looking at ways to fool my ECU since I won't be running a cat. I've seen actual simulators and whatnot but I'm looking more closely towards the low-pass filter approach.

Anybody have any luck with this? I'm really just looking for a cheap method to prevent from throwing a code without shelling out another $100 dollars on a miniature board or making my own off of a 555 timer.

Thanks in advance for letting me into your (awesome) community. I hope to do a few things here and there on my sedan once I fix my exhaust. It seems that after fourteen years of forced marriage, the manifold's flange decided it had enough and blew off the B pipe at ~6000rpm. Sounded like those Youtube videos of guys hitting VTEC hard with their riced out B16s, only on a D16Y7 and with that loud (but crazy cool/funny) rumble ever present. As much as it pains me to have to rid my lovely from her new vocal cords, it's only because of the fear of what a pissed-off cop may do as I rumble past him.

·
Registered
EJ6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember I just let the o2 sensor dangle in my engine bay and had no code lol
could also throw a spark plug fouler on and that usually gets rid of the code
Yeah, I read about that method too. From what I can see, all it does is recess the O2 sensor so it doesn't get as well exposed to the gases flowing past it though, right? Also, if I were to use one of the Ebay headers like the one I linked above, I'd think it would be a close fit in the tunnel, no?

·
Registered
EJ6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a real one before. The link is someone on my build thread I believe.
But it uses a 555 timer and it fakes a signal.
I take it it worked well? I wouldn't really mind making one but it's just a bit of a pain, if the low-pass filter were to work decent that would be sweet.

As for the header, I take it that they really are a sorta one size fits all deal?

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
I take it it worked well? I wouldn't really mind making one but it's just a bit of a pain, if the low-pass filter were to work decent that would be sweet.

As for the header, I take it that they really are a sorta one size fits all deal?
Yea been working just fine for over a yr I believe. I used resistors for the heater and the 555 timer circuit for the signal. My rear o2 was hitting my shifter so I needed something.
And all the d15/d16 header are the same.
The y7 had the cat built into it an a pipe after that to make up the cat from the ex models.

·
Registered
EJ6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And all the d15/d16 header are the same.

The y7 had the cat built into it an a pipe after that to make up the cat from the ex models.

Don't EXs have a shorter B pipe to compensate for the cat? All this exhaust stuff is getting me mixed up honestly. I need more hands-on experience with these. :/

I just want to be sure that the Ebay header will simply bolt on (no need for any test pipes) so that I can get it all back up and running within a reasonable timeframe.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Don't EXs have a shorter B pipe to compensate for the cat? All this exhaust stuff is getting me mixed up honestly. I need more hands-on experience with these. :/

I just want to be sure that the Ebay header will simply bolt on (no need for any test pipes) so that I can get it all back up and running within a reasonable timeframe.

Pulled from honda parts.
It looks like the header will bolt in but your be without a cat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.