Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any benefit to running an ecu from a d16y8 on a non v tec engine? I could see the benefit on a mini me because it would become vtec but I don't know if you would get boost on a non vtec.maybe I could rephrase that a 3rd time.....TIA

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about chip options...I believe I've got an ODB2, which I understand can be a problem. I could convert to an ODB1, choices, options......worth the hassle?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
no benefit AT ALL... you're just guessing with the different fuel maps.. plus you'll throw a check engine light.

If you're staying non-vtec, get an obd1 ecu. not the p28, too expensive... get a p06 or pr4 (integra obd1). These can both be chipped and both use the 4-wire o2 sensor. Then you can get it tuned (with a chip), run Hondata, whatever....

BTW, only worth it if you're going to be doing some engine mods... obd2 doesn't like anything major done to your engine. If it's just a cold air intake, not worth it... if you're getting new exhaust, might be worth it. if you're getting turbo, nitrous, it's a MUST.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Makku. I might look into the obd1 ECU. I think I'm going to stay non v-tec. Right now I have C/A/I and custom exhuast (header, high flow cat, 2 in. pipe, etc). I'm going to be adding D16y8 intake manifold,a fuel rail,a cam gear, basic bolt on mods. I just started looking into ECUs because it seemed to be a.) easy and b.) everyones talked about it when they mentioned the mini-me set up(which I'm in no rush to do). I thought maybe you could bypass the head and still see results with the ECU and the intake manifold....Any recomendations on who and/or where to get an ECU chipped if I go that route? Thanks for helping out the new guy!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
it's only useful if you have your car tuned (i.e. get your fuel maps tailored for your particular setup)... otherwise, a generic chip will just boost your fuel and make your ignition run more advanced. You won't maximize what your engine can really do and you will probably waste more gas than you need to. It can raise your hp a few points at certain RPMs, but might lower it at others.

BEST, CHEAPEST way to do it is to use Uberdata, a free ROM editor, and buy some dyno time to do a basic tune using datalogging. Read up at pgmfi.org BEST, EASIEST way to do it is get a basic hondata setup and get it tuned by their pros. Next best way (way more money) is to get a standalone (AEM EMS) and dyno time, but that's overkill for NA unless you're running a high c/r or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts