Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any help in advance!

I recently picked up an 89 Civic Si... I drove the car a few months back and everything went great. To make a long story short, last owner was finally ready to negotiate and had the car parked after getting a newer vehicle for about a month in his garage. He took it out for a drive before I came to look again and he thought it was leaking coolant from the radiator cap. It appeared to have a bad gasket so I brought one along and replaced it, topped the coolant off and started off with a compression test before actually starting the car again. The car averaged around 150 across the board and showed no significant variance from cylinder to cylinder.

What we did find when testing compression was that there was coolant coming out of somewhere near the driver side of the motor near the bottom of the block. It was clearly flowing from somewhere higher up. I am curious if anyone thinks the water pump seal may be not seated correctly and it's leaking during the cranking done when testing compression? It seems to only leak when being cranked and sort of stops after a little bit of not cranking. No visible sign of head gasket failure. The car does start and runs, it does however run a tiny bit rough at idle. Not sure what that could imply, again I am new here, I come from the DSM world so it's a little different.

Thanks for any help or advice, your time is greatly appreciated!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,308 Posts
is it pouring, or is it weeping. the water pump weeps. put some dye in the coolant and check for drips

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it pouring, or is it weeping. the water pump weeps. put some dye in the coolant and check for drips
During the cranking process when testing the compression it would start to drip, flow a very tiny "Stream" where the drip was taking place for a bit and then go back to a drip once the cranking stopped. It's definitely coolant, definitely coming from somewhere near the timing side of the motor and making it's way down to drip near the back of the driver's side of the engine. I went to pull the upper timing cover for a better look but realized I would need to pull the valve cover in order to do that properly. I am just curious if anyone thinks it is the weep hole or has experience with that as I am unfamiliar with what it actually looks like. Another thing to note is that the car had a timing job done on it a year ago (6K miles or so have been driven since then). Not sure if they didn't seat the gasket right in the pump or what.

Thank you!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,308 Posts
if the pump was changed out, it may be the o-ring on the water pipe in the back, like I said, dye would show you where its coming from

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Very common for people to re-use the O ring on the water tube, and old rings tend to roll over the edge, causing a constant leak.

Overfill the radiator with water, fill the overfill bottle with water, and see if it weeps out without cranking the engine over.

If it does not weep out from gravity, I think will/Slo is correct, its a water pump gasket/oring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.