Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm rebuilding a spare d16y8 I have with some PM3 pistons for a little NA CRX beater car.

My question is this.. I have a rebuild kit with standard sized ACL bearings. I'm using the stock crank and rods that were in the block, which has 200k miles on it.. I was told i'll still need to plastic gauge the bearing clearances on the cap and rod side. So, what's a good clearance for the standard bearings to work? how exactly can I tell what size to order if it's off spec?

do I need to check the cylinder shape or should I just hone it for a few minutes and then size the rings? should I use stock gap from the workshop manual?

thanks in advance for any help

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
1. Check the manual for proper clearances. I'm sure you can find it via a search or in a haynes manual.

2. Yes you still need to check clearances. IDK why you would be out of spec if all is good with the crank. If you don't like where your clearances are when you throw the bearings in there then switch bearing halves around until you get the clearances you want.

3. Checking the cylinder shape is up to you. If it was me and all was good when the motor was pulled then I wouldn't worry about it. Beyond that, you could just run .20 over and have the cylnders bored out and not even have to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
First take a step back and do some research on what your talkign about doing.

All I'll say about it is KAAAFUCKINGBOOOOOOMMMNMMM! when the piston hits the bottom of the head.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First take a step back and do some research on what your talkign about doing.

All I'll say about it is KAAAFUCKINGBOOOOOOMMMNMMM! when the piston hits the bottom of the head.
will the PM3 pistons have a bad clearance on the d16y8? i've never heard that before

·
11,892 Posts
will the PM3 pistons have a bad clearance on the d16y8? i've never heard that before
I believe he is referring to the compression height of the PM3's.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Bad would be a tragic understatement. Kiss everythign good buy before the motor even starts for the first time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to explain yourself a little better..

on Zeal's compression calculator I get 11.8:1 on those pistons using a d16a6 head gasket.. I don't plan on milling or decking so why would the combination lead to catastrophic failure as you predict? I've had a 12:1 b16a run great.

·
11,892 Posts
You need to explain yourself a little better..

on Zeal's compression calculator I get 11.8:1 on those pistons using a d16a6 head gasket.. I don't plan on milling or decking so why would the combination lead to catastrophic failure as you predict? I've had a 12:1 b16a run great.
What he's saying is that the piston height in (relation to the piston) is higher. Your piston will therefore sit higher and smack the head / valves. C/R is irrelavant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts