Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, its great to be here. I'm on year 3 of my Honda Del Sol Si restoration. Interior is all done with new upholstery, carpet, vinyl... Suspension is almost there (just a few more parts/bushings left) Brakes are done Body is done minus new paint (waiting till after engine rebuild) All I have left is the engine and tranny. The motor has about 280 000 km (174 000 miles) compression is actually ok 175-185. I decided to check it after I hydro locked the motor one night. The Motor burns a Ton of oil, I don’t even know why I both changing it, the oil never stays in the crankcase for any extended period of time, I decided to go rebuild more as a project instead of economics. I can get a JDM ZC 1.6 Vtec for about 600 with about 60 000 km but I want the satisfaction of DIY to complete the entire DIY mindset of the car. Ok so heres the deal, I found a great deal for a complete rebuild set on eBay. I realize all the parts are not Honda OE, but for the price the set is indisputable. And in my defense I have worked for a Tier 1 Automotive supplier and in most cases there is no difference between OE and aftermarket parts, bearings and materials. I found that Chinese bearings are just as capable as their Japanese, German, Korean and North American counterparts. I've never rebuilt an engine before so be gentle: Does anyone have experience with this Ebay rebuild kits? How are they? What are P29 pistons, they are offered by the seller in oversize 75, 75.5, 76mm? I understand the factory engine bore size is 75mm. What is the factory diameter of the d16z6 pistons. What I'm trying to get at is, what is the clearance between the piston and bore? I'm considering going with the 75mm piston but what will the machine shop need to bore to accommodate this piston size?

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
P29 pistons have a little higher dome, thus creating more compression. They are very popular with N/A builds.
You will need to measure your cylinders to determine what piston size you need, but since the motor has 280k on it, id stick with the 75.5mm. Most likely, the block needs a hone, honing a block with 280k on it will definitely not result in 75mm pistons. 76mm is getting a little thin for the sleeves.
A good P2W clearence is .0015

1 - 7 of 7 Posts