Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting aside the fact that we all have a love for Honda for second, I've got a genuine conundrum on hands. We all know that the new Type R is brilliant is perfect conditions; however, I'm not sold on the thought of all of that power through the front wheels will allow the car to perform at peak levels on say a track day situation. I've been seriously looking at getting a 2017 Focus RS and love the innovative torque-vectoring rear end coupled with the AWD system (minus the lack of a factory front mechanical LSD [ Quaife can solve that]).

I've honestly been enjoying my Lexus IS350 for over 5yrs now without a hiccup, and it'll remain my DD for as long as possible. Coming for RWD to a possible FWD platform to me just doesn't make any sense; plus the near outlandish styling of the Type R has me wondering if I could even see myself driving it. The Focus RS just seems to be a more of a well-rounded vehicle that checks all of the boxes.

Even after checking out a certified pre-owned used M2 with all the accessories, I still finding myself leaning towards the RS.

With an absolute cap @ $40k for a "new" weekend-only/track-only vehicle that you could beat on without modification from the factory, what would you consider to be best car for the money?

In the running, in a best-to-least best for me order :

1) Focus RS
2) used BMW M2
3) Miata Cup
4) Type R

What additional cars might you add to this list and why?

Thanks for your time!

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
40K Cap puts alot of cars into perspective..

you can get a used NSX and still have money for mods.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
40K certainly puts a lot in the pot. You could find some used ZR1/Z06 corvettes for that money. Do you have a minimum year cap too?

There are some Ferraris that can be had for under $40K.

Lotus Elise/Exige also fall into that category if you're willing to buy used and wait for a good deal awesome looking and Toyota reliability to match your IS.

FD RX-7, earlier M5s and M3s can be had for well under $40k.

Most used STis also come in well under the price cap.

Lots of incredibly fun possibilities at that price point.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At least trying to stay new or newer, under a factory or certified manufacturer warranty. So though ALOT of vehicles would easily fall into this price range, having a remaining factory warranty would pull most out of that realm of possibility.

Thought of the STI too of course; but the lastest model year in comparison to anything on my list is just now too "old". They REALLY need to revamp that car!

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Ohh jeezz.. Now your adding a warranty..

so which warranty. 3/36K, 5/60K

In an age where sports cars are non existant, I would go with a Genesis coupe 3.8 then add a turbo, coils, wheels til i got to 40K

The only track cars would be STi/WRX but they suck nowadays. Everything else is designed for grocery getting and look fast. Need mods for track use.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Current generation Mustang? V6 or Ecoboost flavor ... but I guess you've already got the Focus RS up from Ford.

Jeez had to throw the warranty in there and gum up the works ... didn't you.

Any of the BMW Z cars still fall in that range or maybe a 370Z?

New Nismo 370Z MSRP 41,990 - maybe you can get a deal ... or find a lightly used one?

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
Just thinning aloud here but if you're looking for something that carries a factory warranty and doesn't have shitty resale value, I'd probably be inclined to stick with Subaru.

Focus RS - Rare, hard to find, over valued
BMW M2 - Expensive, expensive to service, expensive all around
Miata Cup - Fun but under powered. Probably end up disappointed
Type R - Probably worth it but long wait, high market adjustments in the first MY

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
after owning and working on a subaru i will probably never suggest one to another person unless they have a decent amount of disposable income or are planning to keep it stock. An evo 10 would be a better option in my opinion z06 or 302 mustang. unless you absolutely need the awd or just really want it your going to get 17ish in the city and 20ish on the freeway out of either wrx/evo. mustang claims 25 on the freeway and i think 18 in the city, not too far off. Corvette is very close to the mustang in mpg.

I almost bought a genesis, unless you want an automatic i would not suggest the m6 transmission. Multiple revisions within a couple years without seeming to have solved the core issue with the syncros. They also have a dual mass flywheel issue that seems to rear its head pretty early. If you want to know more about this just google it and see all of the frustrated owners with under 5k miles on there third transmission. however in this gloomy mess with the manual, the auto is surprisingly flawless.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
How about the new Ford Fiesta? Seem to be pretty cheap and have lots of support since Ken blocks gymkahana
im pretty impressed with the fiesta, its light has a decent amount of power and alot of tuning options. It really feels like a turbo honda.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
after owning and working on a subaru i will probably never suggest one to another person unless they have a decent amount of disposable income or are planning to keep it stock. An evo 10 would be a better option in my opinion z06 or 302 mustang. unless you absolutely need the awd or just really want it your going to get 17ish in the city and 20ish on the freeway out of either wrx/evo. mustang claims 25 on the freeway and i think 18 in the city, not too far off. Corvette is very close to the mustang in mpg.
I dont know why all these cars are gaining weight. Evo10's are so heavy, Civics are heavy and put on weight, Hell even my camry is larger than past versions..

I just got into an argument online where some moron write that he took his camry on a vacation trip.. It was zipping right along.

I said you must have the V6 cuz the 4 banger is super slow and underpowered..

All of a sudden i got people trying to convince me that the 4cyl has power and can pass cars. 4 large adults and loaded with luggage. Car weighs 3500, another 1000lbs with people and luggage and a 180hp 4 banger is zipping around.. ?

Anyways, Cars are putting on weight, underpowered, and theres really no cars that have real sport anymore. Maybe the 370Z, Camaro LTZ, Mustangs. Sport is used to describe a base model with a spoiler and different wheels. Same suspension, same engine, nothing involving SPORT as the term it once was.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wish my budget was there for a Mustang GT350, cuz I'd just go that route. But I don't believe I can afford that right now.

Yes, the RS is rare and hard to find right now because it just started reaching US dealership in the past 2 weeks. :)

You're probably right I'd be left unsatisfied with the power of the new Miata.

I did consider an Evo; hell, I had a Lancer previously, so I'm well familiar with the Mistu brand. BUT, the said thing is the the interior that was in my '03 model yr Lancer is basically the same as what is in the "new" Evo. REALLY?

I see plenty of Focus and Fiesta ST models at the local auto-x events. This is what initially got me interested in looking into the RS. Yes, the RS is heavy; but for what is and does (and does well mind you), I'd be fine with it. Heck, it could easily lose 200lbs just with your typical weight-reduction processes.

If the IS350 was just offered as a 6-sp, I'd go with that over the 370. It's just...meh, I guess.

Curious to see what the future of the new, lighter Camaro platform will be. The mustang will have to counter with something new here soon!

Anyone seen/read about this new AWD twin turbo Fusion?

2017 Ford Fusion V6 Sport revealed with all-wheel drive, twin-turbo power

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Newer Taurus SHO could be a hoot, if you don't mind it only being available with an automatic gearbox. Fiat 500 Abarth could be fun too ... however you did say you wanted to lean away from FWD ... and they're taller than they are wide ... which could cause a problem.

Oooo twin turbo fusion ... perhaps based loosely on the rereleased Taurus SHO?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Golf R or anything with the new gen 3 engine
as mentioned, the STI, though they are still using a 2 decade old engine. I know more than a coupe of Subaru tuners that would take the new 2 liter WRX over the STI.

The RS is a lot of money for an econobox with great drivetrain. The interior is going to be more of the same crap that is in the base focus, and have you tried on the seats (the Recaros) in the ST? Terrible.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
I dont know why all these cars are gaining weight. Evo10's are so heavy, Civics are heavy and put on weight, Hell even my camry is larger than past versions..

I just got into an argument online where some moron write that he took his camry on a vacation trip.. It was zipping right along.

I said you must have the V6 cuz the 4 banger is super slow and underpowered..

All of a sudden i got people trying to convince me that the 4cyl has power and can pass cars. 4 large adults and loaded with luggage. Car weighs 3500, another 1000lbs with people and luggage and a 180hp 4 banger is zipping around.. ?

Anyways, Cars are putting on weight, underpowered, and theres really no cars that have real sport anymore. Maybe the 370Z, Camaro LTZ, Mustangs. Sport is used to describe a base model with a spoiler and different wheels. Same suspension, same engine, nothing involving SPORT as the term it once was.
I agree, sport has really lost its meaning in the last decade. And often when a real "sport" option come out its insanely overpriced for a meh kind of upgrade.

I think the weight is going up mainly because of the star ratings being put upon the manufactures. Thicker sheet metal in all areas, automatic features for braking, stability, traction and so on.

I mean how safe can a car really be? im not going to argue that seat belts and air bags (that operate properly) are stupid but pretty soon were going to be driving tanks that can survive a direct nuclear blast from any angle and still not be totaled. There has to be a point where we stop adding weight and understand the risks we take when driving. Adding more weight to a vehicle only worsens all other attributes. For example, we have strict emissions controls in california, but the engines have to be more powerful to move all of that weight around, but yet we have more emissions control devices to help clean the exhaust up due to the power output.

But then what about MPG? if we were to cut the weight of cars in half they would instantly gain large amounts of mpg, keep the same hp ratings and emission devices we would be in a much better place both emission wise and cost wise.

But knowing this country it will never end, cars will become solid blocks of steel that dont actually move, they have seats and you drive to work in VR.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I liked my Fiesta ST. I always felt it was what a Fit-R would be if Honda ever felt so inclined.

If I was in this situation, again, I would consider either a 370Z or a Mustang GT (350R if used prices go down instead of up...that flat-plane crank, y0!)

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,014 Posts
18k will buy you an r32 here ;)

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I agree, sport has really lost its meaning in the last decade. And often when a real "sport" option come out its insanely overpriced for a meh kind of upgrade.

I think the weight is going up mainly because of the star ratings being put upon the manufactures. Thicker sheet metal in all areas, automatic features for braking, stability, traction and so on.

I mean how safe can a car really be? im not going to argue that seat belts and air bags (that operate properly) are stupid but pretty soon were going to be driving tanks that can survive a direct nuclear blast from any angle and still not be totaled. There has to be a point where we stop adding weight and understand the risks we take when driving. Adding more weight to a vehicle only worsens all other attributes. For example, we have strict emissions controls in california, but the engines have to be more powerful to move all of that weight around, but yet we have more emissions control devices to help clean the exhaust up due to the power output.

But then what about MPG? if we were to cut the weight of cars in half they would instantly gain large amounts of mpg, keep the same hp ratings and emission devices we would be in a much better place both emission wise and cost wise.

But knowing this country it will never end, cars will become solid blocks of steel that dont actually move, they have seats and you drive to work in VR.
I have a feeling the mpg is because of the epa and big business control. We had cars back in the 90's that got 40 mpg but now days everything barely makes it to 35mpg probably because of the oil industry and the lame ass epa. I mean if you can make a leaner burning car get 50 mpg and still have decent power then why not? It seems if you could slightly increase emissions to double mileage then we would have less overall emissions issues to worry about but then it would affect the oil industry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
1) Focus RS
2) used BMW M2
3) Miata Cup
4) Type R

i believe out of this list i would pick the type r, it clearly is the front runner here in speed, handling and overall shock value. im not familiar with its new power plant, suspension set up etc etc. but honda rarely disappoints when it comes to the type r badge. i would have preferred it to be a naturally aspirated car, to keep true to the heritage of the type r. but look how honda butchered the new nsx :(.

the miata is a close second. the new one looks great, im sure it handles better then any other generation miata, and you know theres gonna be a ton of aftermarket goodies. what it lacks is in the power department. no surprise there, they all have. the new hard top version is stunning. a good drop, some better looking wheels and youd have your self one sexy car.

now please dont take me for a miata fan boy, for wich im not. my mother did own one, so i do appreciate the zoom zoom vibe, but i remember how good her new 2001 6 speed miata handled and dropping the top was nice. ok maybe im a fan boy, but emphasis on fan because i will never own one lol.

what are your true requirements, daily driver, how many doors, mpg, cost ?

i generally buy cars based on how i feel driving them, handeling, styling, feedback and power are high on my list, may be the only marks on my list.

me personally, my next car will be a Mercedes Benz cla45, upgrading my cla250 at some point. this is my first new car first benz and ive fallen in love with the car and brand. cla45 is the most powerful 4 cyclinder ever, 26psi and 370 hp all fed threw a 7 speed dual clutch out to a very aggressive awd system. better then a evo, 12.7 car stock. i also own and drive a fully built 2002 jeep wrangler, with 35 inch tires. so i am very much a person who buys and builds a car based on a specific purpose. i.e my fully built crx, lightweight, good power, great throttle response, amazing handling etc etc.

heres my negatives for the other two cars on your list.

focus rs is going to be a fad, just like the srt4 and cobalt was, cheap and non memorable. as most fords are besides the higher end stangs. nothing really grabs you and says im that car you have to own.

the m2 just seems to me like bmw put together in a hurry, knowing they could slap a m badge on it and sell a bunch. feel the same way about the m4. bmw is no longer the ultimate driving machine, i feel they havent been for a looong time. the orginal m3 was a ground breaking car, as was the second gen m3, as was the first and second gen m5. the third m3 was very nice, but not nearly as ground breaking at the first two. the fourth gen got heavy, really heavy. im a fan of the first few m cars, these new gen m cars, just dont do it for me when you compare what you get for money spent.

hope ive given you some interesting points of view to think about. let us know what you choose !

stratton.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^Every comparison I've seen/read about on all of the various "hot hatches" on the market right now, the RS has edged out the Merc in the overall fun factor of the ride and driveability. Yes, the Merc has high marks for design/interior/styling plus most power/quickest qtr mile. But the pricing and fact that I can have more fun in an RS has definitely made me rule it out.

The RS has never been in the US before; so it's going to be interesting to see where it falls into the "collectability" aspect. I feel that the limited production #s that will be released to the US to help with this. We all know that the Type-R will hold its value, as it has with the previous gen. Taking into consideration how well the previous RS models (MK and MKII) have done in the UK, I'm not too concerned.

Anyone else have an opinion on a fun "new" car under the $40k price point?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts