Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
first time handeling new valves,
i just got a set of new supertech valves for my d16, the head is in exelent shape,

is it nessacery to cut the valve seats or lapping will be enough?

thanks

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Im gonna say get a 3 angle vj. You'll have fresh seats. And ive heard lapping is not good for the valve guides, from a reliable source lol

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
If you've already invested in the springs and have the extra cash, I would get a
valve job. Just for the peace of mind alone.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Sounds like the head will have some money in it...so I'd spend the extra $30-60 and get the new 3-angle cut.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
honda comes factory with a 3 angle

good head and new valves, just have a machine shop instlal them and check for leaks

work as necessary

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
honda comes factory with a 3 angle

good head and new valves, just have a machine shop instlal them and check for leaks

work as necessary
you realize the valve job is matched TO THE VALVES......replacing the valves means it needs redone.

lapping them MIGHT cut it but i'd just tell the machine shop to do what needs done... if you go in there telling them what to do they'll do that and nothing more, even if they see something else (atleast most of them).

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
valves made for the honda motors tend to have the angles pre matched to factory heads

lapping is generally necessary, but you dont always need a fresh cut

its simply recommended to prevent problems down the road.

im a cheap ass if that wasnt a big enough indicator lol

·
Registered
same
1,624 Posts
valves made for the honda motors tend to have the angles pre matched to factory heads

lapping is generally necessary, but you dont always need a fresh cut

its simply recommended to prevent problems down the road.

im a cheap ass if that wasnt a big enough indicator lol
prematched to what head, and what seats? you think they are all the same? no they arent, like i said lapping will probably get the job done but a complete valve job would be ideal.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
New valves = new valve job. Period.

Lapping is last century tech. Don't let anyone near your engine who wants to lap valves. If a shop can't do a proper valve job, you are probably better off lapping stock valves.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
after finally biting the bullet and paying for a valve job, i would never NOT pay for one again.

imho one of the best possible things u can do for your cylinder head.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Every time I've rebuilt a head myself, I've just lapped them. Takes about an hour and a half, I've never had any issues lapping stock valves in a stock head. Haven't done it with a set of new valves though. But I'm with everyone else on taking it in and getting a new 3 angle done since you have the head off and apart already.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts