Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has 1998 Civic dx 5spd. Its d16y7 engine with y7 transmission. The forks were gone on the original so he had to replace it. The system was flushed and bled so there is no air. (i know its a self-adjusting clutch)

Now here is a question, it goes into gear just fine its just when you release the clutch pedal it doesn't kick in right away...maybe an inch off the floor(it is very annoying). Is there any way to adjust that or anything that I can do to fix the problem?

Clutch pedal itself is 6.5" off the floor when not engaged and the freeplay is 1".

Thanks in advance!!:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply..but i don't think it has anything to do with the pedal adjustment..when i release the clutch in the first gear it doesn't catch on right off the floor but maybe an inch or too later..

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had this problem, tell me if u are having the same. I would push in the clutch pedal, change gears then release the clutch pedal. My clutch pedal would seem like it wasnt returning all the way up. I had to stick my foot under the clutch pedal to pull it all the way up. Now if thats ure problem most likely its ure clutch pedal spring, I changed mine and it worked like a champion never had to pull it back up with my foot again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had this problem, tell me if u are having the same. I would push in the clutch pedal, change gears then release the clutch pedal. My clutch pedal would seem like it wasnt returning all the way up. I had to stick my foot under the clutch pedal to pull it all the way up. Now if thats ure problem most likely its ure clutch pedal spring, I changed mine and it worked like a champion never had to pull it back up with my foot again.
Nah thats not it...when i put the clutch pedal to the floor in first gear i have to let it out 2" before it engages!!...before it used to be that i would release the pedal just a bit and the thing would catch on...i'm sure that this is some adjustment problem or maybe its the clutch cylinder gone bad...thats what i'm trying to find out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you have a hydro trans in a cable car? sure about that?
well...there is fluid that goes all the way to the tranny, and thats what moves the clutch. its not cable..i've bled the system but i'm guessing its the clutch cylinder maybe it lets air in...i'm not sure tho

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
the clutch is wearing out.. its normal.. when you have a new clutch resurfaced flywheel and all new goodies.. the clutch engagement point will be somewhere near the floor... after you put miles on it.. 30k on the engagement point is gonna raise.. when the clutch is almost done the engagement point will be somewhere neart the top...

you dont adjust a hydro clutch.. the only thing you adjust is the freeplay in the pedal.... like if you grab the pedal with your hand you should only be able to move it 1/8-1/4 of an inch before you feel any resistance, meaning it should move before it does anything..

other then that... ur gonna have to live with it

·
Registered
999 Posts
mines been grabbing up top too.. but i have a brand new clutch and flywheel... and i bled it twice.. what else do you think could be the problem.. i been driving like this for months now

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
i've never ever had to depress a clutch more than a few inches to switch gears. IIRC, transzex said something about the engagement point should be around 2 inches from the clutch being all the way up..

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
and people wonder how/why I shift so fast.........

stock parts adjusted to OEM specs. OK, the clutch MC (leaking) has never been changed.....

but 1" on the clutch pedal is all I need to make 2-3-4 hard shifts. If i'm, lazy, just lift off the gas pedal and shift.

Master the 4-5 shift (1.033 to .878) if you think your good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts