Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a beat to shit DA and was tired of the primer look so I decided to do a Rustoleum paint job. I picked up the materials then my guy showed up w/ his gun thinking I had an air compressor. I didn't and we couldn't fit his into my car so we went to Wal-Mart and bought a Wager Power Painter for $55. Honestly for the price I think it worked out great and my friend said it goes on much smoother than rollers. I thought this may be a viable options for people looking to do a budget paint job.

Here we are spraying it. We used a 50/50 mix of paint to lacquer thinner.

Here are some pics:

Starting out:

Sanded down: (we just put the rusty hood on to cover the engine bay. it was rusted when I got it BTW)

First Coat

2nd Coat

We painted the rusty hood for shits and grins plus there was extra paint left.

You can see my friends reflection pretty clearly. Not bad for $100 and 2 coats. We stopped here but the coverage was pretty good.

The finished product w/ no buffing or wet sanding. It has some light orange peel but it's not too bad.

All in all, I think the car looks pretty damn good for the minimal investment I have into it. I'm also pretty surprised how well the paint covered the rusty hood and we only did that to use leftover product. If you're doing a rustoleum paint job and don't want to roll on the paint, I highly suggest the Wagner Power Painter. For the price it is a great value and works pretty damn well. Once it quits raining and my paint has time to set, I'll post some updated pics.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No wet sanding or clear coat. We did this in about 2 hours. Right now I have my torpedo heater blasting it to smooth it out and it's prob 80+ degrees in my garage. After that I'm just going to polish it but that's it. I also don't think oil based paints like clear coat but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone w/ more experience on that could chime in.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
2hrs excluding prep. The total time was about 9hrs as we started around 8pm and also wasted time running to the other side of town to find the spray gun which wasted at least 90 minutes to 2hrs.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It could probably be much better than it's going to, but I figure this is better than the primer color it was. Once I lower it I'm hoping it'll be at least somewhat respectable.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an updated pic and it's still tacky. I'm pretty impressed. It's far better than any rattle can job I've ever done.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'll prob just polish it and leave it be. I'm just flipping the car but I thought the Weber Power Painter idea would be good for other people. To be honest it worked awesome for what it is.

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
updated pictures - did you use the rustolium dilluted with thinner?
Yeah it was a 50/50 mix of Rustoleum and lacquer thinner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
awesome! always wanted to try that with the harbor freight one! did you thin the paint at all? or just straight up use the paint from the jug?

·
FF Misfit
Accord
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
You do know that a gallon of REAL automotive paint is about $100?

Why not spend the extra $50 and get a finish that will last?

I almost did a $50 paint job but smartened up and spent the extra $50. lol.

·
Registered
98 dx sedan
895 Posts
You do know that a gallon of REAL automotive paint is about $100?

Why not spend the extra $50 and get a finish that will last?

I almost did a $50 paint job but smartened up and spent the extra $50. lol.
Any chance I could snag some Honda paint for that much? lol

Where do you get your stuff danz?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts