Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....First of all....NO flamming on the topic damit....As i am sure this has been covered not only 500,000,000 Times here....and prob X amount on other sites...But i want peoples Ideas and thoughts on this matter now....

Ok so. my trans decides it would like to Grind going into 3rd gear....and well....2nd gear is gone....it doesnt go in...just grinds...And the funny thing is, last night, it decided to go into gear...hahaha...mabe like 4 miles....IT hasnt done that for weeks...Is it worth rebuilding current Trans....New syncros? etc..And what type of Syncro;s would work best better....or OEM fine??? or would junking this thing and build a new one be better.....Price is an ""issue"" please i am looking for help on this matter....Labor costs would be pretty low...i guess if rebuilt....so help me the fuck out...i am not a Trans Guru.....

·
Registered
1995 Civic EX Coupe
579 Posts
i would just pick up another tranny with as low of miles as possible obviously. i see em goin for $50-$100

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
might be the case......I also have a fucked up motor mount too....and like i said...and just reading another post were user "tranzex" said that it could possible be shift forks?? last night the car was shifting into gear in second....but when i would put it into first that grinded??? so i am not too sure if its the fucking Syncros...or if the Shift forks are fucked up....my motor mount next to the Timming belt....is also fucked and loose/broke....so i am in the Dark about which it is....TranzEX help!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,648 Posts
classic symptoms of a broken 1-2 shifter fork.....won't know until you split it open to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok man......I told my freind about this who works on my car....He said he is going to take a look at it.....i droped it off yesterday.....Anyways, i will let everyone know the outcome....see what it possibly is....anyways...."IF" the tranny is fucked.....how much could you build me a nice one for.....?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,648 Posts
$1000+ for complete overhaul, but why?

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jesus christ.............Transex is going to build me one for 150 bucks all complete with LSD.....:haha: :TU:

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i found out today it was the shift forks....going to replace....only going to cost about 60-70 Bucks......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Transex, I was just curious. I am in the midst of collecting parts for my turbo build & was considering trying a rebuild since I will be installing an LSD anyway, but at $1000 just for parts - forget that, I'll try & source a few trannies for that amount of money & have insurance. Thanks for the info, I was hoping that you would reply.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Transex, I was just curious. I am in the midst of collecting parts for my turbo build & was considering trying a rebuild since I will be installing an LSD anyway, but at $1000 just for parts - forget that, I'll try & source a few trannies for that amount of money & have insurance. Thanks for the info, I was hoping that you would reply.
You dont need to replace everything. Teardown and inspect, service manual gives the measurements for most components. Replace whats busted, worn or noisy. reuse the rest. Right Bone?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,648 Posts
yep.......but it wouldn't be a COMPLETE overhaul, which is what he asked about.

IMHO more that $200 in parts = junk it!

LSD install is about $125-150 in parts + shifter fork is needed, about $200 total in parts.

·
Registered
943 Posts
yep.......but it wouldn't be a COMPLETE overhaul, which is what he asked about.
Guess i'm just used to doing things hondas way. I overhauled an 03 civic manual trans under warranty earlier this week. Replaced the isb, one diff bearing and the seals. Everything else was fine. I wouldn't have done it any different if it was a customer pay job or if it was for my hatch. Just cant justify the expense of replacing a good part with a new one. I wouldn't know where to draw the line. LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was just thinking that it may be beneficial to have a nice fresh trans, but it's not worth that cost to me. So, I will replace what's broken & reuse what I can. It should be an interesting project since I have never cracked a tranny case before. Although, I have never built a motor & I am doing that too, I know I am in for some frustration, but if I can learn from it, it's all good.

Thanks for the input gentleman :TU:

·
Registered
48 Posts
i wish i had the know-how to do this same thing myself!

labour charge locally to rebuild a transmission (or anything as a matter of fact) is just frickin ridiculous!

and a used replacement is not findable either... :(
I don't have the know how, but there is a FSM and how to books which combined with doing it will give you the experience......

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
glad you got it worked out... 70 bux for parts, or everything?
Yeah he fixed everything for me for acutally 70 bucks.....i still gave him bout 120 though cause i owe him for some things still....

I don't have the know how, but there is a FSM and how to books which combined with doing it will give you the experience......
oh and THANKS FOR THE :hijacked: :slap:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah he fixed everything for me for acutally 70 bucks.....i still gave him bout 120 though cause i owe him for some things still....

oh and THANKS FOR THE :hijacked: :slap:
how did you get him to do the work if he lives in OH and u are in CA? Cause im in CA and would love him to do some work on my tranny's, as im sure a few of my friends would to as well. I try to message him on aim but the only way I can ever find him is to post and hope!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,648 Posts

They live close to each other, thats how......

nowhere was I mentioned doing the work......because I didn't :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts