Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So let me begin this buy saying I'm a Noob.

I drive a 98 Acura 1.6 EL with a D16Y8.

Now I'm stuck at a fork in the road.

See the thing I wanna boost my car, to my understanding I can drop a B18 non v-tech and drop a turbo kit and it would work perfect. But i'm not looking to spend soo much on a swap also I don't think I'll need all that power.
Honestly, I'm only looking for a about 5-10 lbs.
After some reading on forums and so forth, I found out I can boost my D16, which is great but, I don't know where to start as per prep work.
I'm new at this so bare with me but I need some help.

My engine is stock and has about 270k.
Let me know what you guys think I should do, keep in mind this is my only car so I'll be driving it as an everyday car.

·
Registered
DD is the civic
170 Posts
The first place you need to start is checking on the health of your engine given its mileage. That is, unless you plan on pulling it giving it a refresh. Secondly, on a stock engine, only expect to make a max of around 180-200hp if you want to keep your engine together for any long period of time. "How many lbs of boost" doesn't mean anything unless you know what turbo you want to run. If you are talking about a 14b...7-8lbs is reasonable. If you are talking about a 50 trim...forget it.
Lastly, keep reading. All of the questions you have asked and WILL ask have been answered time and time again. So be sure to learn from other peoples mistakes BEFORE you even spend your first dollar!

FYI, cost wise, for a basic setup to get you into that 180-200hp range, expect to spend somewhere around $1000-$1500+ depending on if you buy new parts or used, use something like Hondata or go instead for a more homebrew crome/neptune solution, etc.

·
Registered
680 Posts
one of the biggest things to look at is tunning before you do a turbo or highly modified engine. there are very few good options for obd2 but you can get a conversion harness and run obd1, if you don't have emissions where your from.

run a couple searches on it and what people have done to get around it before anything else to see if you will even be able to use what build you are planning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check for any leaks maybe get a gasket kit and replace them so you know your engine is solid to begin with id also like to see some pics of your el those things are sweet

·
Registered
82 Posts
for engine prep work, what i did was: a new headgasket, arp headstuds, ported oil pump, and a 60mm b18b tb.

·
Registered
1995 civic hatchback
113 Posts
how's the condition of your motor?

270k is a lot of miles. definitely do a compression test and a leak down test to get an idea of the condition of the block. if that checks out fine I say go for it. GL!

·
Registered
1995 civic hatchback
113 Posts
also like likuidphreon mentioned, on a stock block keep it under 200 whp on a good tune for reliability. that's around the max of your rods, which is the weak link of the motor.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The first place you need to start is checking on the health of your engine given its mileage. That is, unless you plan on pulling it giving it a refresh. Secondly, on a stock engine, only expect to make a max of around 180-200hp if you want to keep your engine together for any long period of time. "How many lbs of boost" doesn't mean anything unless you know what turbo you want to run. If you are talking about a 14b...7-8lbs is reasonable. If you are talking about a 50 trim...forget it.
Lastly, keep reading. All of the questions you have asked and WILL ask have been answered time and time again. So be sure to learn from other peoples mistakes BEFORE you even spend your first dollar!

FYI, cost wise, for a basic setup to get you into that 180-200hp range, expect to spend somewhere around $1000-$1500+ depending on if you buy new parts or used, use something like Hondata or go instead for a more homebrew crome/neptune solution, etc.
X2:bandito:

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
I boosted my stock engine with around 163,000miles on it (still a far cry from 270k) and it lasted the 10,000+ miles I put on it before swapping in my built engine. Of course, this engine had great compression and leak down results.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I boosted my stock engine with around 163,000miles on it (still a far cry from 270k) and it lasted the 10,000+ miles I put on it before swapping in my built engine. Of course, this engine had great compression and leak down results.
Not too far
270000km = 167770mi

Cause i really hope he dosent mean 270,000 miles lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW guys thanks alot for all the input.

I didnt expect to get soo much love up here.

To answer a few questions Im in Toronto so emissions does matter and I meant 270Kilometers not miles.

I'll def keep reading around and check out the health of my engine before I look to get anything done.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
To answer a few questions Im in Toronto so emissions does matter and I meant 270Kilometers not miles.
when was the last time your car passed smog? I heard the emissions are going to be stricter where you're from. Or is it for 2001 and up? I forgot lol.

Nice EL man.

I got a Domani conversion :chinese:

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Ok, 270,000 kilometers... I was about to say boosting a engine with that many miles probably wouldn't last that long. At 167,000+ you're much better off but like everyone said above the compression and/or leak down measurements are going to give you a much better assessment of your engine's health. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but a fresh head gasket would be a pretty good idea. Obviously the more you can freshen up the better i.e water pump,oil pump,timing belt... One other thing to consider is you can say you only want 5-10 psi but I guarantee once you experience such low boost you will want more. Go to the "turbo build" "engine build" threads and see what those guys did. There's everything from stock bottom end builds, to Vitara builds, to all out sleeved block builds. Hope you get the answers you need.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
I had assumed miles but since it is actually closer to 167,000 miles then I wouldn't let the mileage concern you as long as the compression and leak down are fine. Also, I at least have an intuitive feeling about the cars that I drove and their health.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.