Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my step dad gave me a deal
hes wanting a new car
so im going to try to find another civic and get the motor and rebuild it for boost
and give him my old engine
d16y8
but i have kind of a noob question
how well do turbos do in cold weather?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
like all things car related, its all about up-keep. mine had no issues with cold weather**. just follow all the normal maintenance procedures for when the cold rolls in.

**mind you, i have not really had the car out in anything lower then ~20*. as i could barely get traction at that temp. lower would probably lead to trouble.

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
warm it up good before you drive off.
make sure all your fluids arm warm. get an oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure.
and the same thing goes for turning your car off. let it cool down properly if youve been raping your motor.
even on a nice warm day id always warm up my fluids before i drove off.
check your oil more often as well.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i have had absolutely no problems out of my audi. it is a 1985 200 turbo quattro with the k24 turbo im running 12 psi daily ( damn fuel cut) i let it warm up for 15-20 minutes cold or not and sit for 2-3 before i turn it off no problems at all and shes seen single digit cold before.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yeah no problems in cold for me either, Except my idle gets real high when its cold. as in around 30 or below.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think as long as you have some temp and pressure gauges and let the engine warm up a bit before you drive off you will be fine.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
lol the lower the temp (to a certain extent) the better mine runs
i always noticed that too. just let everything get up normal operating temperature when you boost and you should be good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok then if they run fine in the cold that leads me to my next question
should i try and find a car with a b or just get another d16y8 so its a direct swap

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
THATS up to you. You can make 400whp from a d series failry cheap. do you want/need more than that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol no
400 hp on a civic is unreal
the car is like 5lbs
id like to get about 300 whp
what all would that take

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cold weather isn't an issue for turbo setups. Just make sure your tuner has corrected cold crank settings and knows a little about the humidity and climate the car/setup will be in...

lol no
the car is like 5lbs
what all would that take
wow, where to start...

Short Block rebuild - Vitara setup or some nice JE's
Stock head, just redeck - new valves and rework if your looking to spend extra cash...
Get a complete turbo kit - Look into Greg @ GO-Autoworks.com
You'll need injectors, pump, gauges, etc...

Find a good tuner with plenty of knowledge of SOHC turbo setups... Talk to as many 'tuner's as you can, more knowledge the better....

Im sure most of the other users will fill in the gaps here....

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
lol no
the car is like 5lbs
what all would that take
Vitara 8:5:1 pistons. $150 max. bearings, and SRM/TT/Eagle rods from $255-350 shipped. Stock head will support 300whp no problem. need a fuel pump, injectors...might be able to get by with 450cc DSM's. id get them tested/cleaned. and engine managment aka crome,neptune, hondata. Crome being cheapest....and no its not cheap managment. works great. im sure others will chime in on the small shit ive left out.... headin outa work, so peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts