Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the honda world and I'm wondering if you guys can give me advice on how to build up my car. I have a 90 civic 4dr 5spd weighing in at 2100 lbs. I have put a 92-95 sohc vtec in it with a aem cam gear, dc sports header and aem cold air intake. I would like to get the car in to the low 14's and was wondering what you guys would suggest. I have planned a p/p head ,exhaust and a lightweight flywheel . Do you guys think this will get me to where I want to be or am i going to have to put the spray on it? Thanks for any advice

·
Got some PHAT ass?
909 Posts
Hey man welcome to the site. I think you'll find that most the people on here will help you out a lot, I know they've helped me.

I think with the current bolt ons you have you should be in the 14's but probably not low 14's. IMO if you have the means you could scrap a decent DIY turbo kit for $500 get a t25 turbo off an eclipse, and HF manifold with adaptor plate, a DSM side mount intercooler and some piping from JC whitney and you could run 7 psi and get into the 13's and since you have a 4dr it would be the ultimate sleeper with the side mount noone would even know what hit them

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
well i say since you already got a decent amount of money in the n/a stuff...imo you should get a cam..i prefer the zex 59300 cam and since your gonna have the head off to do a port and polish you should get some a6 pistons or zc pistons to bump the compression with that and exhaust you should be hitting low 14's if not better, and if you get a lightweight i suggest a 12lb one rather then a 7 or 8lb. good luck.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want the sleeper angle thats for sure . I jumped on an integra the other night and took him by surprise. Keeping with the sleeper angle are there are any small wheels that look good but wil not kill my gear trying to stay under 15"

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome, First decide if 14's is were you want to stop @ and if you want Fi or N/a. either way you'll get there. word of advice, if you ask for help,Please! listen to what some people here have to say.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are there good tires in a 14" size available .I'm more inclined to keep the car n/a but maybe add a small shot of N2O 30-50 how do these d series hold up to the spray. If they don't hold up well with stock internals what should be changed rings? etc If I raise the compression is it still safe to spray. I don't want to stop at the 14s but I come from the mustang world and want to be able to suprise some of the old cars I used to mess with I can't stand chevy's theres a camaro down the street that has ric eter as his plate I would love to jump on him

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
welcome to the site. looks like you're well on your way to getting what you want out of your motor. what bottom end are you using. is it a 1.5? if so i would not recommend notrous, FMDIRC racer blew up his mini-me with a 50 or 60 shot i believe

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure whatever the stock bottom end is on a 92-95 civic sohc vtec

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also i haven't been able to get my power steering hooked up since switching the motor over the guy says he cant get the pulleys to line up and the belt to stay on any suggestions

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
sedan DX is lighter than the coupe actually...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok well do not do a lightened flywheel, worst "upgrade" that is made, makes teh clutch slip a lot easier, but what i would do is make yourself a cheap turbo kit from misc cars and if done properly then it'll be somewhere in the 13's and cheap too.
or
just look around honda tech and crap for a jackson racing supercharger, there isnt a ton of power to be made but you will have a lot of torque and half decient power and you can get them for like $1000 complete, just a few ideas

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You have a good combo. A light chassis with a d16z6. Did you swap the tranny to an Si/EX? An exhaust, Throttle body, edelbrock/skunk2 (or even a y8 ) manifold, stage 2 cam, some ECU tuning and some light rims and i can't see why you couldn't be running low 14s. You might even sneak into the high 13s with slicks and practice. And I wouldn't even bother hooking up the power steering. At 2100lbs, its not really needed and it will just suck power

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tranny came with the motor. Are the intakes/throttle bodies worth the money for the power that you gain

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hrtatac said:
tranny came with the motor. Are the intakes/throttle bodies worth the money for the power that you gain
you can get a y8 intake manifold but you wont really notice a difference

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never heard that the flywheel was a bad upgrade anyone else had problems with a l/w flywheel. How much does a good head go for ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts