Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 ex
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im new to the honda game, had two in the last 3 months. I have raced and build snowmobiles for 10 years, build 4 jeeps so im pretty handy with a wrench. i just picked up a 95 ex its got a del so si trans, 148k rust free. my plan for now please feel free to imput, like i said new to imports.
d16z6 148k rebuild block with

vitara 75mm pistons
5.458 i beam rods
notch block arp 2000 rod bolts - whats a good buy, what to good to be true

stock head
get a 3 angle valve job
crower stage 2 turbo cam is $310 good? for the cam
should i get springs seals guides, im going to stay at a 7200 shift point

build should be a 8.5:1, i want to add boost, we will get to that later.

i have a si trans now but i want a dx or vx trans, i put no less then 2500 miles of 80mph plus hwy driving. so right now i run 3700prm at 80 and get 34 mpg, if i slow down to 65 i get 40mpg so which trans will net me best mpg at 80mph dx is 3300rpm vx is 2700rpm, does any one have any experince running a boosted d16 with vx trans ?

now to the turbo, im going to put together a kit, i have heard that cx racing makes a ok/good intercooler/pipeing kit for a good price, has anyone tryed/used them? ill buy a good BOV hks greedy and some on. mani ? log style of ebay, expensive ram horn or topmount? now for the turbo, i know ebay is the devil for turbos ill stay clear. id like to source a turbo for a junk yard car, talon/eclipse maybe a volvo, turbo lag wouldn't bug me at all id rather have alot of turbo left then be running a small turbo on the edge.

i want to over build for my hp level, my hp goal is 200
is my block build idea ok ?
head/cam ok?
vx or dx trans
does anyone know a good tuner around st. paul/ minn MN
what should i run for tuning,crome?

i know its a long post with alot a questions but like i said im new to honda's
and i would love your imput, please no junk info, i dont want to hear about your friends brothers dog sitter run 20psi of boost on stock rods tuned by a farmer on 87 thanks

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
you'll definitely want new springs for that stage cam, but if you are only going for 200WHP, you probably don't need a better cam, the stock one should do just fine with a good turbo setup and tune

it is always a good idea to rebuild the block and head before boosting...get the block and head checked out by a shop to ensure that it is in good shape and not out of square...

good luck with the build, wish i could help out more, but pricing i'm not so good with nor the transmission information.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
200hp, the little D can handle this on a stock block. Build it what you want though. I rather have an si/ex trans for a good fun setup. Vx/Dx I think are economy trans. Check out the engine building section.

·
Premium Member
95 ex
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im hoping that if i build everything to hold 400hp it will last forever running 200. which brand valve springs is everone running. The si tranny is fun but i spend most of my time running 80 mph so i dont mind if it a little doggy 0-40 so i figure a vx tranny will net the best mpg and not get into the turbo while run hwy and the turbo will make it fun to pass people even if i have the drop into 2nd to do it.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
if you run a dx/lx trans you can run and lsd but speedo cable is an issue;(
vx trans are stupid tall and should be made into pop cans. Hx trans are a little taller than lx/dx and supposedly have larger bearing (is that the word i'm looking for) like the ex. And if that's so you could have speedo and an lsd. Honestly though if yours is fine i'd prob rock it and some cash for spare trans depending on how hard you are on it. I'm a liittle tired and i'm sorry if that sounds like babble

·
Premium Member
95 ex
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i got the car cheap, the clutch was so bad i could only do 45 on the way home which was 70 miles. Put a clutch in it the next morning. then the next day drove it 700 miles to work. The trans has a grind/vibration when i let off the gas in 2nd. I have had the car for a week now and im still learning/searching about what works tips tricks builds. d series has the most info, but its still takes time to find what im looking for and from what i have seen alot of noobs get ripped for asking questions so i would like say thanks for the info

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
yes those that ask questions that are answered in the stickies do get ripped, however most of your questions up to this point are legit and to boot your are specific enough with your questions that we can answer them intelligently, so no worries ;)

as for the grinding/vibration when engine breaking in 2nd gear, does this happen in any other gear? if so how much difference in the grind/vibration is there?

and yes it takes a lot of time to learn about ones car, reading is going to be a necessety in this game, doesn't matter how you get the information reading will be required, so keep doing what you do and you'll be surprised as to what you learn

·
Premium Member
95 ex
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tranny vibration is in second a tiny bit in third. The new clutch i put in last weak started slipping yesterday. i put 800 miles of easy miles, got on it hard yesterday started slipping so im pretty pissed. Im not sure y yet but since i have to drop the trans might as well do the tranny swap with a new clutch next week when i get home.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
when the clutch was replaced, did the pressure plate also get changed and what about the flywheel? was it resurfaced/replaced?

·
Premium Member
95 ex
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new pressure plate, i didnt have time to get the flywheel resurfaced i cleaned it up and scuffed it with some 800 grit sandpaper

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the flywheel always needs to be resurfaced minimum, just scuffing it will not do the job

·
Premium Member
95 ex
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got my buddy grabing two trannys tonight. Ordered a act clutch and a oe flywheel today so im going to be busy when i get home next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts