Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Civic Si
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got my first Honda last July, a one owner '89 Civic Si. It's pretty high mileage, but has had meticulous maintenance and records over it's life (crazy, right?). It's not perfect, but it is a blast to drive and I have big plans for it and it gives me something to do on a college budget.

Right now, it only has an old set of Enkei 84 wheels with Hankook RS3 tires, a momo steering wheel, and a suspension techniques rear sway bar.

I plan on rebuilding the d16a6 engine (hopefully swapping in another one while I rebuild this one), koni struts w/ ground control coilovers, camber arms/bolts, cold air intake, DC header, catback exhaust, and hopefully a new paint job after a little rust removal.

Any autocross guys out there? Especially Street Touring

Attachments

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Welcome! There's a few of us on here that autocross.

You're on a good path it seems for an STS car. I started in college too, and it's definitely an affordable way to get into racing.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Just don't go out of your way money-wise to hit your goals
... But there are many track-oriented racers on here (trying not to sound like a JDM ricer yo) lol.

How do you like the car so far? I'd say upgrade when you feel more comfortable. With those tires already, you got a lot to learn before you'll be bumping their limits.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention something. Depending on your spring rate I would try no front sway bar or an HF bar. I didn't like the feeling of no front bar so I run an HF front sway.

·
Registered
89 Civic Si
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I absolutely love the car. It was faster in H-street than my 08 Impreza was in G-street (about 8-9 seconds on our local permanent test n tune course). Just on tires and stock struts with a swaybar, it feels like a giant go-kart and I would've won H-street last year, but I didn't have the car for enough events and lost on participation. With the dismantling of H-street (addition of new Civic Si, Fiesta ST, etc), I wanted to try to move into Street Touring.

I've read a lot of Andy Hollis's and Redshift's STS build notes. I've read that the car can feel very 'vague' without a front swaybar (which is what I assume you were referring to) and the HF hollow bar helps on the turn in and consistency.

What kind of spring rates did you run?

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
I absolutely love the car. It was faster in H-street than my 08 Impreza was in G-street (about 8-9 seconds on our local permanent test n tune course). Just on tires and stock struts with a swaybar, it feels like a giant go-kart and I would've won H-street last year, but I didn't have the car for enough events and lost on participation. With the dismantling of H-street (addition of new Civic Si, Fiesta ST, etc), I wanted to try to move into Street Touring.

I've read a lot of Andy Hollis's and Redshift's STS build notes. I've read that the car can feel very 'vague' without a front swaybar (which is what I assume you were referring to) and the HF hollow bar helps on the turn in and consistency.

What kind of spring rates did you run?
I think you could be competitive with the new Civic Si (I started in an 8th gen Si in GS back in 2010), and Fiesta ST would probably come down to course design. Only thing is tire/wheel width on stock civic wheels leaves a lot to be desired...

Yep, I didn't like the vague turn-in when I ran no front bar.

I run 550lb fronts, 650lb rears but I'm on the spss valved yellows with ST rear bar and HF front bar. When I was on stock yellows I ran 450/550 to save the struts some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts