Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I currently own a 2000 Honda Civic DX Sedan. I have recently become interested in the Honda performance scene, and would like to get the help of all you tech guys on suggestions and such.

Right now the motor is a D16y7, and I have come to find out that its the least powerful engine. At the moment I do not have the funds to do a swap, so was wondering what would be the best route to go to be able to make a quick car but also a daily drive. I have heard one route, and thats putting a y8 head on, thus getting v-tec.. I was wondering if this would be the best route performance wise/money wise? I would also like to know if this is a really involved thing to do, and est. how long it would take to accomplish this task.

Well thanks for reading my post and helping a noobie out :)

·
Let's Go Oakland!
99 EX - 13 EX
4,222 Posts
Well I currently own a 2000 Honda Civic DX Sedan. I have recently become interested in the Honda performance scene, and would like to get the help of all you tech guys on suggestions and such.

Right now the motor is a D16y7, and I have come to find out that its the least powerful engine. At the moment I do not have the funds to do a swap, so was wondering what would be the best route to go to be able to make a quick car but also a daily drive. I have heard one route, and thats putting a y8 head on, thus getting v-tec.. I was wondering if this would be the best route performance wise/money wise? I would also like to know if this is a really involved thing to do, and est. how long it would take to accomplish this task.

Well thanks for reading my post and helping a noobie out :)
buy something new, then ud have a quick car that can be daily driven..

first post fail.. search

and intro yourself with pics or ban!

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
You'll need a Y8 head gasket, I would suguest ARP head studs(optional), Y8 Head complete with intake manifold, P2P ECU, some wire and ECU harness pins with pigtails. It'll take a few hours to complete depending on experience. How much are you looking at spending? The head and ECU alone can cost as much as a complete used JDM swap which would be my suggestion.

·
Banned
2,119 Posts
swap the transmission to a y8

itll drop a second off your quarter mile time, and be way more fun then vtec.

I had a mini me, I even had a y8 in my car. I can honestly say a Y7 with a y8 trans will run faster than the y8 alone. or a mini me.

do a trans swap, convert to obd1 and get a delta cam

·
Registered
89'civic sedan lx
1,493 Posts
welcome to DS and use 'SEARCH' button for info and post pics in the showcase..and gl on the build..

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
Well I did both the EX tranny swap and mini-me and I have a different opinion. I don't care about quarter mile times though. I like the feel of the VTEC engagement more than what I got out of my EX tranny with 12lb flywheel and LSD. But don't get me wrong, the EX tranny swap is a great mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was thinking about going to a pick a part or junkyard around my area to find my parts. About the Y8 Trans, does it add horsepower or what?, because Im not looking for track times, as Im not going to race it, I was something that can be a DD, but also fast, as in acceleration and top speed... Thanks for all the help and not shooting me down like the other guy

·
Registered
2012 civic si
40 Posts
the y8 trans has shorter gears so you will accelerate faster form what every says it will be world of diff. ... my .02 is put a y8 manifold, full exhaust, and if you dont plan on doing much els then do a mine is kinda cheap if you know people also its not too hard to do just the wireing but there are lots of threads for mini search alot ... never did a mini me but form what i see it aint hard

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
The D16Y7 IS NOT the least powerful. Just put the Y8 intake manifold on there and be done. VTEC is over rated. Even with a DOHC.

·
Banned
2,119 Posts
Well I was thinking about going to a pick a part or junkyard around my area to find my parts. About the Y8 Trans, does it add horsepower or what?, because Im not looking for track times, as Im not going to race it, I was something that can be a DD, but also fast, as in acceleration and top speed...
why do you care about top speed, if its going to be a dailydriver?............

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
I was wondering if this would be the best route performance wise/money wise?
You wanna make money? Sell me the Y7. I woud punt retarded kittens across a mine field to have another Y7!!!

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts