Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a d16z6. I want around 200HP the the ground NA on a lower-end budget and retain the Honda long life.

Block - Started by doing some piston research and found a site with some forged pistons. Found A6 pistons with 11:1 and z6 pistons only to 10:1. Obviously, I'd rather have 11:1. Can A6 pistons work in the Z6, if not, how hard would it be to use the A6 block with the Z6 head? Now for the rods, what would be a good set to go with that will handle the high compression all day with no problem?

Head - With the cam, I want something that will have a pretty good idle, but really shine when VTEC hits. Also one that doesn't cost too much per HP. I'll also need a good set of springs and retainers that I will probably just get from the same manufacturer as the cam if possible. I have also liked the idea of Ferra stainless valves.

If I decide I need more power out of it, other things will happen like a P&P, work on the IM and TB and such. This will be my first engine build so I don't want to spend too much money on it in the event my masterpiece goes down the drain. I'll be doing the work myself unless it involves machineing.

The engine will be going into a '93 del Sol SI with intake/headers/half an exhaust. I'll throw a few pictures in as well I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
cracklingice said:
I have a d16z6. I want around 200HP the the ground NA on a lower-end budget and retain the Honda long life.

Block - Started by doing some piston research and found a site with some forged pistons. Found A6 pistons with 11:1 and z6 pistons only to 10:1. Obviously, I'd rather have 11:1. Can A6 pistons work in the Z6, if not, how hard would it be to use the A6 block with the Z6 head? Now for the rods, what would be a good set to go with that will handle the high compression all day with no problem?

Head - With the cam, I want something that will have a pretty good idle, but really shine when VTEC hits. Also one that doesn't cost too much per HP. I'll also need a good set of springs and retainers that I will probably just get from the same manufacturer as the cam if possible. I have also liked the idea of Ferra stainless valves.

If I decide I need more power out of it, other things will happen like a P&P, work on the IM and TB and such. This will be my first engine build so I don't want to spend too much money on it in the event my masterpiece goes down the drain. I'll be doing the work myself unless it involves machineing.

The engine will be going into a '93 del Sol SI with intake/headers/half an exhaust. I'll throw a few pictures in as well I guess.
What happened to your muffler? Is that thing loud??? Anyways, sounds like your off to a good start. Look into Eagle rods for your block. They'll handle the pressure. Exospeed makes a great Cam, and so does Crower (both will need springs and retainors). Some guys are doing an A6/Z6 mini me, so maybe they will chime in. As far as the valves, if your on a budget then don't get them. I believe that Honda makes somewhat strong valves, and they will hold with a new cam. Consider a cam gear also. Adding to your intake manifold will help also...

Good luck, post up your stuff when you get it done..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't consider any d16 block mated to a d16 head a mini me regardless of if the block had vtec before or not. To me since it says mini it would only apply to d15 blocks with a vtec head, but that's just one of my peeves. I'm just going to simply call it a hybrid, if I call it anything at all.

Oh, as for the muffler, there is none. Had to ditch it for the duels, but I'm going to eventually replace the cat with a small muffler and see how it sounds. As for how loud it is, my friend's VTEC with a cheap muffler on it is 2 times louder, but it could have some stuff to do with the fact his car came stock with a B16

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No need for the A6 block since exospeed has 11.5:1 for the Z6 from Arias. How much more horse power will I get boring the block out from 2.955 to 2.973? The exospeed cam is too mild. Seems like a Comp Cams stage 2 cam has more power. I want a butt load of gas and air to be able to go in. I'll probalby need a custom cam to meet what I want. I want good gas milage and a good idle to retain streetability and then when VTEC hits I want it to just go nuts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't seem that hard. Put enough gas and enough air in at the right mixture and compress it strong enough. Bottom line, if a DOHC can do it, a SOHC can just the same.

·
Registered
643 Posts
cracklingice said:
QUOTE]

That's like asking for a Supermodel looking cheap hooker

Ain't gonna happen

Although there was a guy in Indonesia that built his lil D14 to close to 200 HP.
Don't really have much info other than it was built to REV and with the recipe of High Compression and lots of air (Sidedraft carbs)
This type of build would NOT get 200K as RPM=Ruins Peoples Motors
but it gets you in the neighborhood of the desired HP output

·
Registered
723 Posts
200whp from a z6 is hard!i'm personally aiming for 160whp with a 12.3:1cr and the stock head,later when i can afford it, p&p the head,i hope to break the 170whp mark and run low 14s or high 13s

but 200 is too much for me,it's possible, but you will need a great amount of compression and custom work,it will be unreliable for daily driving i think

Although there was a guy in Indonesia that built his lil D14 to close to 200 HP.
that guy posted on h-t that the hp was in fact flywheel hp not whp

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll see what I end up with in the numbers department. I am not talking about a D series with some work and then a vafc for fuel management so I've already got the ricers beat. I want to do this right, not half assed. I may not reach 200whp with this build, but it's a good goal even if it seems high.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, abandon the budget statement. My goal is now 200whp reliably without forced induction. Reliably includes responsibly as well.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
You can reach 200whp NA, but you will get it at 10 000rpm, with 120lbs of tq, up to 160 whp with N/A d16, no reliability, so much money invested and by the way you put 4000$ in engine, you could be toasted by almost anything who have turbo or nitrous..
If you can get 130 octane gaz, maybe you can achieve your goal but $$$ + $$$ = $$$$$$. Nitrous or turbo will be easier, cheaper and more powerfull, and for sure more reliable...

Built engine + forged internal + 100 nitrous shot= up to 240whp for not that much.

·
Registered
723 Posts
cracklingice said:
Ok, abandon the budget statement. My goal is now 200whp reliably without forced induction. Reliably includes responsibly as well.
200hp n/a d16z6-y8 and reliability for every day driving ,doesn't mix

like i said before,it's not imposible,bisi was making a lot more than 200whp with his d15,but it was a on a race motor that run with race fuel and had an incredible amount of compresion,that would be imposible to run with even 95 octane gas

i have a realistic goal ,i'm aiming for high160s - lows 170s with a 12.3:1 cr on 93 octane gas,fully built head,crowers tage 2 cam,skunk 2 im,bisimoto header etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts