Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting at about 1,200 miles fresh off a rebuild. I added Y8 pistons to my Y7 block port and polished head with Zex stage 2 cam. I was already throwing an unknown code after IM install but was still managing about 275 a tank. Now I am stretching it to only 200 miles a tank which is around 19mpg. I am currently still untuned untill I find out some how what code im throwing.
Any input is appreciate.

W

·
0 Posts
well no once said that putting a cam in would help gas mileage. get a chiped ecu and lean it out but before that check the code if you have a obd2 go to autozone if not check the engine lights

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I know but I have seen plenty of people with my same setup getting 35-40mpg.
I will check the code today, I just found out how on a obd-0. Also as for tuning I am going the mild route I have an adjustable cam gear and will purchase an adjustable FPR and most likely lean it out on the dyno. Also a fuel injection cleaning couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But even before the additional work it wasn't great. What are common problems. Clogged injectors, plugs, CEL, etc. so I can make a list and replace or have then all cleaned im trying to see over 300 miles atleast.

·
Registered
255 Posts
B16 ECU on a D16? I don't know the exact specs, but if you look at the static flow of a B16 compared to a d16, it is going to be alo higher therefore a way richer mixture. You need to get tuned first, then worry about MPG

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But the mileage problems all accured after the rebuild. I doubt a 80 mile change from a little un-tuned headwork. As for tuning should I get a FPR if I were to purchase a VAFC or a Fields controler. Im really just trying to get some higher mpg at this point, I working on getting a WRX and this will be my little quick beater to haul things and sorts.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Dude, I'm having the same horrid gas mileage as you. The one thing I see we have the exact same of is the b16 fuel map. I have a skunk2 p28 with a b16 fuel map and I'm seeing 200 per tank as well. I'm bout to trade mine for a stock p28 and if that changes anything I will let you know.

·
Hondaphile
1,113 Posts
well if you're asking for help, then refuting every offered suggestion then I suggest you figure it out on your own as you obviously already know what's wrong with it.....<sigh> if you ask for help, you must at least be open to the idea that someone may have the answer even if it's something you don't want to hear.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First nobody refuting any answers. I just looking for more suggestions obviously I know I need a tune. But people keep suggesting the ecu when I have had the ecu for a good 5 year now with no serious gas mileage problems till the rebuild a month ago. An as for a FPR is it needed if I go with a fuel controller like VAFC or Fields.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Infamous said:
First nobody refuting any answers. I just looking for more suggestions obviously I know I need a tune. But people keep suggesting the ecu when I have had the ecu for a good 5 year now with no serious gas mileage problems till the rebuild a month ago. An as for a FPR is it needed if I go with a fuel controller like VAFC or Fields.

i suggested a vacuum leak.

B

·
0 Posts
what about the 1-4 wire 02 Sensor problem.. i put a D15b7 in my 92 CX without changing to a 4 wire 02 sensor.. threw CEL like every 10 mins and gass milage SUCKED BUTT.. just a thought with a obd0-1 car...

:rice:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts