Honda D Series Forum banner
61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
Check your inbox on here, I may have just thrown a good wrench into the works of this new project..........well maybe. Check it out.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
659 Posts
Alright, enough with the theatrics, 15 days man, 15 muthafucin days! Everyone is on the edge of their seats already, wait much longer and someone gonna fall off. Spill the beans, what are we lookin at?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
So I got the new proj up and running :)

Gave each wheel end some love:

Tire Wheel Photograph Automotive tire Car

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive fuel system

Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Diving mask Electric blue Gas

Plant Window House Gesture Tree

It had Hardrace UCA's, and a Koni/GC setup.

Also put my old gold Rota knockoffs on it, because one of the wheels that came with the project was bent in the right rear a bit:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

While redoing the brakes, I attempted to remedy an issue found with the front Koni/GC setup on it. The coil seat that is adjustable does not fit the spring snugly, and it pops around on the seat just going over normal bumps at speed. The spring is compressed so hard, and its loose fit on the collar guide is causing it to move ever so slightly over bumps, resulting in small, rather loud metallic pops going over bumps.

Loosening the collar a few turns to relax the spring helped ALOT, but ride height ends up much too low overall like that. I don't like coilovers where you can't adjust ride height independently of spring compression.

So after much toying with myself saying "don't buy cheap coilovers..." over and over, and continuing to read around looking for good deals on a set that had independent ride height adjustment, these had an incredible number of really good reviews on every site that offered them, and for only $210 shipped (found on ebay for $50 less than the host site), i couldnt pass them up:

Red Material property Magenta Font Audio equipment

PLX Wideband is also functional at this time. Still need to wire it to the Demon for datalogging :)

Camera accessory Gauge Plant Cameras & optics Reflex camera

So.... how much longer till the full reveal? Is the suspense madness??!!!

Muahhhaahahahaa

Sleeve Font Art Event Magenta

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So the reason I've not posted any in-depth write ups of this car until now, is 2 reasons:
  1. I wanted to get it running first
  2. Needed time to go over every bit of content and take time to write something meaningful

I had to pull up a laptop to actually compose all of this, because the story is way too long and just way too crazy to meaningfully describe the whole situation.

That's what this is honestly, crazy. It's significant because these kinds of things never happen to me, and it's taken me over a month to completely absorb the reality and gravity of this situation.

This reveal will be a multi-parter to say the least :)

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Oh where to start? How about the beginning.

I'm sure you guys were able to guess this already, so its not going to be that much of a surprise since there was a post with pieces of the beginnings of a paper trail. Heck, @Oldcivicjoe actually hit the nail on the head with one of his previous posts lol:

Was this perhaps a donation?

@Aeroflux , a D Series OG on here, is the reason this thread and all content that follows exists. I seriously just happened to have a luck of the draw opportunity to contact him because I happened to respond to his post first:

Seriously, these things do NOT happen to me. As my wife says, I'm either really lucky, or really Unlucky, and this just happened to be the former.

Aero and I chatted for a bit via PM, and he explained some high level things about the car.

When I realized after a few messages that he was willing to allow me to have the car, reality started to set in. I took the opportunity to read over every single post he's ever made here on DSO, to learn more about him, his journey and any history related to the car.

I think the best part of all this is the amount of history and stories that come with this car. It's insane! More on that in a bit :)

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Aero had some pics on his donation post of the civic, but I couldn't wait to see it in person.

We arranged a time and place to meet, and I headed to his neck of the woods with truck and trailer.

Fast forward a few weeks.​

Meeting Aero in person was very cool. He is a car guy through and through. It was astonishing, he knew every little detail about this car like a true car guy, starting with the first crazy one:

He was the ONE and ORIGINAL owner of this 1995 Civic CX Hatchback, purchased brand new!
@Aeroflux did an INSANE amount of work on this car, while trying to keep it as original and true to form as possible. It shows through every little mod, and the condition everything was kept in. Tasteful as possible. Just by itself, in my books, this car is showroom worthy with how pristine he managed to keep it over the years.

Sure it has it's blemishes, its a 26 year old car! But each one gives it character, and amazingly enough, Aero was able to explain and describe each one like they were personal scars. We walked around the car slowly over the course of an hour or so, while he described each dent and ding.

A few of my favorites are as follows:

• The car has a different right front fender. Aero said the car ended up taking a love tap in that corner, and while he was in a junkyard just happened to come across another chassis in a similar green that had no damage to that fender. He snagged it, and threw it on. The fender still has a piece of black center trim from being from another trim level, but it fits the car really well, and unless you spend any noticeable amount of time next to the car, you might not even really care to notice it. I love it.
  • The roof and rear plastic wing has two dents/scratches in it that run parallel to the roof lines down the center of the car. Aero said a guy out in California tried to whip a brick through the back windshield, but it missed and bounced across the roof.
  • One of the sides has slightly more mini scratches and dents in it, due to it being in a carport that had blinds hanging down the sides for shade, but got whipped up against the car in a storm!

Needless to say, this is a pristine example of a civic and owner who's been through their fair share of life moving around the country. The stories were amazing! The car itself has been all over the west coast, the Grand Canyon, the mid-west and a few places along the east coast!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
The immaculateness (is that a word?) of the interior is amazing. Those pics are as I picked it up, so even though the car had been sitting for about 3 1/2 years, Aero must have been putting Armor All or something on the dash and door panels. Spotless!

The tow home went well, and I offloaded it next to the house so I could give it a deep cleaning at some point with just soap and water:

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Plant

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 · (Edited)
Aero also had a bunch of spare parts in boxes that came along with this car, some seriously neat gems! I won't list everything, but I started going through these boxes simply looking for any spider nests before putting them up in storage, and ended like a kid who just had a massive Christmas score :)

2 spare OBD1 ECUs:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

2 sets of Bostech and RCEngineering 440cc injectors:

Font Handwriting Ingredient Magenta Paper

A spare Walbro 255:

Fluid Finger Pink Nail Magenta

Some Timing and Compression testing tools:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Measuring instrument Gas Electronic component

Motor vehicle Automotive design Eyewear Bumper Gas

A K&N cleaning kit:

Automotive tire Finger Bumper Motor vehicle Font

A crap ton of OE Honda and aftermarket bushings:

Food Packing materials Box Font Nail

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
A Bisimoto Level 1 D16Y8 cam and Bisimoto D series adjustable cam gear:

Wood Musical instrument Font Electronic instrument Wind instrument

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Tar Line

Wheel Automotive tire Light Hubcap Alloy wheel

A spare knockoff GT28 turbo:

Gas Kitchen utensil Electric blue Automotive tire Fashion accessory

Automotive lighting Helmet Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

A mint D16Y8 intake manifold:

Gas Engineering Wood Bumper Machine

A really good quality HVLP spray gun:

Product Publication Wood Material property Electronic device

The tool to press out the rear main control arm bushings:

Rectangle Tool Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Joint Hand Furniture Green Comfort

Some stock 75.5mm pistons and rings (I think Aero said before turbo he was going to do an N/A build):

Electric blue Automotive tire Plastic Font Rectangle

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
After going through the parts and putting them up, the car sat where it was for a few days. Made a parts list of things I would need at minimum to try and get it started, and a few others in anticipation of getting it running, hence the parts I listed at the beginning of this thread :)

One day after work, I took an hour to clean, de-spiderfy and de-wasp the engine bay, and generally wash the exterior and vacuum the interior. With plain soap and water it really cleaned up:

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Light

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive air manifold

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,258 Posts
I have this exact tool, and have used it many times! Don't use an air gunner or any impact with it. Only a ratchet and socket or wrench. Love it!!

And this is amazing! These things just don't happen, and we are so glad it was you. Puttin in the work in on yours after the tree hit it, like really to the point of junking it, but then resurrecting it and then this! Amazing!

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Aero also had all documentation from all places where this car was for things like machine work and tuning, which made it easy to figure out what the build spec was!

From everything I've read and investigated, here is the build spec of this car which was built professionally at a machine shop:

Cylinder head
  • Stock cam and cam gear
  • Full Supertech valvetrain (valves, springs, and titanium retainers)
  • Light port work to intake and exhaust
  • Intake and exhaust manifold port matching
  • ARP D16Y headstud set
  • OEM Y8 Headgasket

Block
  • D16Y8 block
  • D16Y7 crank with chamfered oiling holes, micropolished
  • Rotating assembly balanced to 10K RPM
  • ACL Duraglide main and rod bearings
  • New Yamada D16Y8 oil pump with port work
  • 75.5mm Vitara Pistons
  • Revolution custom length rods with ARP rod bolts (block and girdle notched)
  • ARP flywheel bolts
  • ACT Streetlite Flywheel
  • Action 2KS Pressure Plate and clutch disc set
  • Golden Eagle Oil sandwich plate
  • Stock timing belt and water pump

Transmission
  • As far as I can tell, its a stock S40 of some type. I believe it is what came with a Y8 in stock form.
  • Magnetic drain plug
  • Honda MT fluid
  • Stock axles

Induction, Intake and Exhaust
  • Most of an Edelbrock Turbo kit
    • Aluminum Intake pipe to turbo
    • Performer X Intake manifold
    • Edelbrock front mount intercooler
    • Tial 50mm BOV
    • Edelbrock exhaust manifold and downpipe
    • 2.5" exhaust out to the back
    • 2.5" resonator and Turbomax muffler
  • Garrett GT2560R internally wastegated ball bearing turbo
    • Oil and water cooled CHRA
    • OEM turbo for an SR20DET
  • K&N cone filter
  • Vibrant oil separator/catch can, with drain back lines and vapor closed loop back to turbo inlet

Fuel system, ignition system and electronics
  • Siemens Deka 60lb/hr (640cc) injectors
  • Walbro 255 pump
  • Autometer digital series Oil Pressure and Boost/Vac gauges
  • Neptune RTP tuning package with Demon1 emulator on converted P06 ECU
    • PWM components installed for electronic boost control
  • PLX Gen4 wideband controller with Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor (recently added)
  • MAC 3 port EBC solenoid
  • Omnipower 3Bar MAP sensor
  • New IAT and ECT sensors
  • NGK plug wires
  • OEM dist cap and rotor
  • BKR7E's gapped to .022"

Suspension, brakes and wheels
  • Stock calipers and rotors in front
  • Stock drums in rear
  • Koni yellow adjustable shocks (front and rear)
  • Eibach Ground Control springs (front and rear)
  • Stock front sway bar
  • OEM Integra rear sway bar setup
  • Russell front stainless brake lines (recently added)
  • Team Dynamics 5 spoke black wheels with good Yokohama rubber
  • Knockoff Gold Rota's with cheap rubber (currently on it due to bent Team Dynamics wheel)

I believe that's it in a nutshell. Again, captain disbelief over here still.....

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
659 Posts
I'm so happy this went to a good home, I was thinking about trying to snag it for my cousin, but I guess im k and awd swapping his 05:sick:

61 - 80 of 126 Posts