91 civic
8,901 Posts
i like and i have, too. lol.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They cost about a 1000 Euro Landed. Thanks to the High Import Duty we pay.
And the fact that they where custom designed from scratch.
Im sure you guys could get them for half that price. As they have a US dealer who stocks and sells popular model's.
I dont use Clay I use a rubber molding compound that you nuke in the microwave or oven it turns to liquid. You pour and it sets in a few seconds.
Wossner is world class. But Im not happy with this set. There where some technical issues I had and the reply from wossner I got was sorry. But you where in a hurry. Next time we will fix it right.

To all the guys going get it ceramic coated. I do not know why you would say that. In my book you do not ceramic coat the tops of forged pistons. It is a big no-no. You can ceramic coat cast pistons. But never forged. Anti Skuff coating has been applied to the skirts though.
How much these will make. Will depend on which Dyno gets used. One Dyno we plan on using will show about 140-150 BHP. The other will show about 110-120.
They weigh a little more than stock 227 Grams.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I am curious why you say that you don't put ceramic coatings on forged pistons, because it's done all the time in everything from F1 to Civic pistons?

That's really pretty close on the exhaust side. Wow.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thermal barrier or ceramic coating a piston dome (whether cast or forged) just insures that heat from the combustion process doesnt travel through the dome of the piston downward. Coating the CC, the valve faces and the domes are the best way to improve thermal efficiency.

It keeps the important heat/energy trapped in the CC where & when it needs to be. It also adds some reliability to the piston itself since the dome sees some really intense temperatures.

So, im kind of curious why it would ever be skipped over if not for the price tag that some companies charge for the service.

·
Registered
Wagovan
773 Posts
Subscribing for ultimate n/a beast ripps.
And yeah, vr6's sound like the sex and haul ass stock. Ive also seen them respond extremely well to quick bolt ons. I/h/e

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We put the car on the Dyno. It sent a new National Record for most power pulled from a Honda 1.5 Vtec in the country. I think its safe to say highest NA power by any car in the country.

Because this engine is being run in the National Super Saloon Class I am not at liberty to discuss the numbers. Anybody involved in serious racing will understand why.
At 9000 RPM the Torque Curve was still climbing. But thanks to our crappy Crank Design and stock Rods I did not want to push it any more. When the billet rods come in we will lift the Rev Limiter to 11,000 RPM. Nobody makes rods for our cranks. Except the guy in Hungary. And Im not comfortable using those rods. I had a look at one of the sets. Only option now is custom rods.
Lets just say the power numbers achived exceeded my expectations by a huge huge margin.

Here is a small clip of the car. This was shot hours after putting together the engine and we had the timing backed off by a good 20 Deg. Here. Because there was not time to street tune it or dyno tune it. The build finished in the night and we where at the track the next day.
On the dyno we picked up 50 BHP with a few hours of tuning.

On the issue of ceramic coating pistons. Its your call. I just dont do it. On my NA builds. The car has just finished one of the most grueling races in the country. At the Chenai. Track where track temps cant hit over 65c. And the IATs shoot thru the roof. This track helps separate the men from the boys. As already posted we started 17th and finished 4th. A lot of engines built by some of the biggest names and front runners blew up. But she ran sun up to sun down during practice. And without a problem during both races.
We wont be going with Wossner for our other cars. Will probably go with JE.
I was not happy with the weight of the pistons. (More than stock).

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
That's good stuff, man!

I'm still going to experiment with ceramic coating stuff, though. LOL! I think it will help me keep some of the temperatures within a "reasonable" range on the next engine I build.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's really cool to hear about your race team doing so well. It is not often you start off like this so cherish every good finish as if it were a win.
You guys make the Honda team proud.....keep it up!:clap:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts