Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know about my last system and the up and coming new one. She's a beast. Been hard at work getting things done and the build has begun. It saddens me how fuckin heavy and slow my car will be but even with the added 600lbs it will still kick the crap out of most of you hehehe. So here is the current progress off the ol cell phone camera reduced for your viewing pleasure.

6-15" Merlon subwoofers in a 12cuft internal slot port 37hz tuned enclosure :) I have a few more pics and there will be tons more once I get some further progress done. These are the basics of it you get the idea. Straight old school beat down wall behind the "b" pillar.

First we must gut!

Then after 3 days of measuring, calculating and drawing we get to cut some wood woohoo! This is just the front board and yes it is fitted to the car lol super tight fit.

The enclosure pre-assembled after a test fit in the car. Next is break it down and final assembly in the car all glued and screwed. No it does not just slide right in it has to be assembled inside the car piece by piece. Look at that port!

So what does it take to do this? Lots of hard work and this:

·
Registered
same as above
1,084 Posts
holy shit!

Reactions: 93 red ls

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
roof flex enough to unseal the windshield :)

Bizzar, you ever heard of Rick McCallum, RAAMaudio.....

http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

I met him at IASCA Finals, now we are talking Scion trannys......

"Compared with some of today's high-tech, high-dollar multimedia systems, the rather simple setup in Rick McCallum's 1996 Toyota Tacoma SE pickup is like a throwback to the heyday of car stereo when sound quality - not how many monitors you can install in a vehicle - was paramount. And that ranks high in my book. While Rick admits that he's obsessive when it comes to install quality - and he frequently apologized for the fact that he's somewhat limited by his DIY circumstances - it's apparent that his primary focus has been to make the Tacoma's system sing. On that level, I'd have to say that he's definitely succeeded."

Funny how paths keep crossing.......

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
wow thats alot of cash what about 3500? lol with that much cash (in my opinion) you could have a 12 second hatch and a couple 12's in the back but its your car :)

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roof is a solid 3/4" thick along with the floor. I have heard of him and read through the 12Volt News but never met. I have done so many sq setups in the past and got tired of the uppetyness of it I decided to go back to turning heads and meters for the hell of it. Although every setup I do sounds just as good if not better to the ear and only a mic can tell the difference. SQ imo is way over-rated to the average listener and only for the hard core purists. I use good wire, nice speakers and super clean signal and amplifiers (mids/highs wise) and pay close attention to positioning. I also try to keep my focus on both sides of the spectrum. When it comes to bass my boxes are damn near roll cages haha. I also try to tune them to the speaker and its efficiancy range not just some random guess like 90% of the shit you see out there and those prefab piles of poopoo. That port is going to hammer soundwaves right down the roof line and beat up some mics on the dash hah. Hmmm... time to buy another car.

edit: iatp thats not my cash lol i have a little inside help so very little cash was actualy spent. I just emptied the register before closing lol.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw, I already have a 12 second hatch :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
That port is going to hammer soundwaves right down the roof line and beat up some mics on the dash hah
knew that pathline, almost a nice arc :)

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
holy crap what are you shooting for on this one? this wont make your cd drive in the computer skip?

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
wow thats alot of cash what about 3500? lol with that much cash (in my opinion) you could have a 12 second hatch and a couple 12's in the back but its your car :)
btw, I already have a 12 second hatch :)
yep, his hatch is already fast as hell. He got a sponsorship to build the wall in there. Like he stated before, even with all that extra weight, it will still smoke alot of people ;). Build looks good Derek :TU:

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: got her in there. Now the fun shit begins heh. Trim panels, final wiring and the entire backhalf. Sigh...

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
ive come to the conclusion that your fucking nuts lol... thats going to be crazy... might be a stupid question but do you think youll have problems with the glass on your car?

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Foam, gotta love that foam. Roof flex? Says who!! Tomorrow after the foam cures it will get cut and the trimming begins.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts

you look way too happy to be cramped in the hatch like that :lol:

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
sick

are you gonna finish it up and make it look pretty or just leave it ghetto and let the mic's do all the talking?

i love pure spl setups...

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its gonna be all purdy. Its not really an spl setup its more for show and shaking the earth. I like to go deep hah! If It were an SPL setup I would have bought a CRX, slapped in 2 12's, tuned them to about 70hz and juice them with 10,000 watts each! BUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRPPPP 160db. If I have problems with the windows then hey, I did it right lol. I am doing this setup so later down the road it can be returned back to somewhat stock like most my setups. Theres nothing more pleasing to me than hitting a nice db in the 40-45hz range (wich is so wrong lol). Thats just disgusting :)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
Derek, might as well remove the rearview mirror before it is blown off!!!!!

Not like it's useful anymore!!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts