Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
FN2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've just bought my 16 year old an EJ9 as his first car and our project for about the next year until he can drive.
The plan is to nut and bolt it, strip it out etc as he likes the Kanjo style of things.
I'm not expecting miracles from the little 1.4 engine but I've found some interesting bits and pieces on line like the Dodo upgrades. Are these held in high regard?
I'm a self taught home garage mechanic with some basic skills and experience in engine building with old stuff like mini's and Ford Pinto's.
I'm thinking of doing the usual bits like polishing the throttle body, a light skim and match porting the head after a head and valve clean up.

·
Registered
FN2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,
Will have a read on how to do the pics.
I've been looking round for the bits to do the dodo mods but they aren't easy to find so far. May just be easier to buy and swap one of the smaller vtec's but that wasn't the plan. May just do the IM and an eBay mani, decat and exhaust.
i take it my basics ideas are ok and worth while on this engine? I've read the cc of the combustion chambers are something ridiculous like 34?
How much is safe to skim without causing problems?
I'm busy wet sanding the and compounding the panels at the moment though.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts
forum is slow on weekends, but welcome to d-so. if you have a photobucket, or any image hosting site, you can copy the img code and paste it here with a space or 2 in it and I can come back and edit it to work, until you get your minimum posts up to par.

·
Registered
FN2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok,will do.
Any thoughts on my engine plans or am I going the wrong way. All I read about is swapping and bolt on's?

·
Registered
FN2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha, yeah I know. He's learning though.
We've done oil, filter and plugs. Breaking him gently.
We removed cleaned, polished and replaced the throttle body.
Moving the battery into the back of the car tomorrow.
The paints so hard I'm already fed up trying to correct it!

·
4,104 Posts
where are you from?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome, and props for bringing your young one along on the journey that will be his car. Awaiting those pics.

·
Registered
FN2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only use an iPad and it doesn't seem to like photo bucket or the other way round. Can anyone suggest another iPad/forum friendly app?

·
4,104 Posts
say the code is

http://www.d-series.org/forums/customavatars/avatar35615_13.gif

the site wont allow you to post it due to post limits, so you have to add a space in the link

www. d-series.org/forums/customavatars/avatar35615_13.gif

that should allow you to post it, then I come back and add the img link for it to work

http://www.

d-series.org/forums/customavatars/avatar35615_13.gif

that turns into this

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
seems like you're trying to work with what you have in which case all you can do if free up power instead of add. doesn't mean it wont have pep and go but don't expect much. how many miles are on the engine? loss of compression through poorly sealing rings may be the first place to start. an entire exhaust system would be the next. a nice header and 2.5" piping matching resonators and mufflers to 2.5" also. try to find a header that has a 2.5" collector if not modify it. proper suspension will make a great deal of difference such as a full coil over where you can adjust spring preload and ride height independently.

·
Registered
FN2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
seems like you're trying to work with what you have in which case all you can do if free up power instead of add. doesn't mean it wont have pep and go but don't expect much. how many miles are on the engine? loss of compression through poorly sealing rings may be the first place to start. an entire exhaust system would be the next. a nice header and 2.5" piping matching resonators and mufflers to 2.5" also. try to find a header that has a 2.5" collector if not modify it. proper suspension will make a great deal of difference such as a full coil over where you can adjust spring preload and ride height independently.
You are correct. It's 92K miles. Compression test is a good idea. I'd have thought 2.5" is a bit big for a 1.4, don't you need some back pressure?
Yeah it's all going to be about lightness, handling and braking.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
The 2.5 is good if you are gunna mod the motor a bit. Back pressure yes, and you will get quite a bit with the right muffler and resonator combined with the bends in the piping. I ran a 2.25 in my daily y8 with intake and header, would need slightly more if I went with a cam and itb setup lets say. Plus the 2.5 will sound damn good if you make it a short path like exit behind front wheels or in front of rear, if you like them to stay cleaner longer.

Also welcome to the site, my kids are just getting into cars as well, it is a good hobby for the family.

·
Registered
FN2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 2.5 is good if you are gunna mod the motor a bit. Back pressure yes, and you will get quite a bit with the right muffler and resonator combined with the bends in the piping. I ran a 2.25 in my daily y8 with intake and header, would need slightly more if I went with a cam and itb setup lets say. Plus the 2.5 will sound damn good if you make it a short path like exit behind front wheels or in front of rear, if you like them to stay cleaner longer.

Also welcome to the site, my kids are just getting into cars as well, it is a good hobby for the family.
Ok, thanks.
It will be a compromise as we have a 105db limit on tracks here so will be to the back.
Still trying to do the picture thing. Hopeless with this sort of thing. I'll get the boy on it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts