Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a D16Z6 :grin:

Basically, the Jackson Racing Rotex is so far only "kitted" for newer vehicles. I'm wondering if it would be possible to kit my own together and supercharge my badboy! The low end makes like 100-200hp compared to "older" superchargers that barely put up 100hp (like Vortec crap).

What do you think?

On a side note, I wish Skunk 2 would make race headers for teh D series, they made one for the B series and its hella nice, but we need a D series no? (I'm going full skunk 2 on my car.)

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
you want to home build your own cast supercharger? Is that what i am getting out of this question?
Really? Just go get some parts and bam, you got your self a new supercharger?

Good luck?
Or did i miss some thing here.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
Rotex is not suitable for use in D/B/F/H motors.

Will work on K motors, due to rotation.

Yes, I've had a BMW Rotex apart......

If impellar and housings were made for "reverse" rotation motors, I would think about it.

But it still will never match a well designed turbo setup. Which is why I gave up on the AKSC project.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Rotex is not suitable for use in D/B/F/H motors.

Will work on K motors, due to rotation.

Yes, I've had a BMW Rotex apart......

If impellar and housings were made for "reverse" rotation motors, I would think about it.

But it still will never match a well designed turbo setup. Which is why I gave up on the AKSC project.
hmm thats interesting bone, didnt know about that. Maybie a jackshaft... or a set of gears..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Basically I meant buying the Rotex, and then buying "build your own" piping kit, and then some how mounting it.

Why would it not work. I'm a big fan of understanding why 100% and knowing exactly why. If it wouldn't hurt, go into detail why it wont work?

EDIT: Reverse mount it? that would make it work properly? lol??>

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Basically I meant buying the Rotex, and then buying "build your own" piping kit, and then some how mounting it.

Why would it not work. I'm a big fan of understanding why 100% and knowing exactly why. If it wouldn't hurt, go into detail why it wont work?

EDIT: Reverse mount it? that would make it work properly? lol??>
it would be like spinning a turbo backwards, wouldnt create any boost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it would be like spinning a turbo backwards, wouldnt create any boost.
If I understand it right, your saying that because of the way the internals spin, no matter which way i mount it i will get no boost? What if i just swap the in and out with each other, that would fix it? Because the way that i see it, its like a turbo, but it doesn't have to have the in and out the proper way?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
If I understand it right, your saying that because of the way the internals spin, no matter which way i mount it i will get no boost? What if i just swap the in and out with each other, that would fix it? Because the way that i see it, its like a turbo, but it doesn't have to have the in and out the proper way?
its because of the way D/B/H/F series engines all spin backwards of k-series so that means if you put a cw spinning supercharger on a counterclockwise spinning engine it will spin backwards of what its designed for.. meaning it will pull air out of the engine instead of force it in..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its because of the way D/B/H/F series engines all spin backwards of k-series so that means if you put a cw spinning supercharger on a counterclockwise spinning engine it will spin backwards of what its designed for.. meaning it will pull air out of the engine instead of force it in..
okay, so if i reverse mount, then it would spin correctly?

<0000>............If that's the motor and 4 pistons, and it would mount on the right like this.

<0000>b...........What if i reverse mount it to where its

<0000>d...........Then that would make the Rotrex spin in the right directions because of the reverse mount?

EDIT, in the picture for the K20 @ the website for kraftworks, it shows the rotrex mounted the "right" way, if I were to have a braket to reverse mount it, it would work?

lol

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
okay, so if i reverse mount, then it would spin correctly?

<0000>............If that's the motor and 4 pistons, and it would mount on the right like this.

<0000>b...........What if i reverse mount it to where its

<0000>d...........Then that would make the Rotrex spin in the right directions because of the reverse mount?

EDIT, in the picture for the K20 @ the website for kraftworks, it shows the rotrex mounted the "right" way, if I were to have a braket to reverse mount it, it would work?

lol
Yep, if you reverse mounted it, then it would work. And after going through all the trouble to reverse mount it, it would be a frankenstien of a creation and you would be way deeper in the hole than a cheap turbo setup that would out-preform it. Also, how are you going to charge the incoming air if the rotrex is meant to be on the intake manifold? since if your reverse mount it, it would now be off the side of the engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, if you reverse mounted it, then it would work. And after going through all the trouble to reverse mount it, it would be a frankenstien of a creation and you would be way deeper in the hole than a cheap turbo setup that would out-preform it.
I like to be different! Thank you for your time. In the future, there will be, a rotrex d16z6!!!! yay.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
why? rofl.
Think about it, your going to reverse mount it.. meaning the supercharger will be on the opposite side of the engine, inside the fender. Also with a rotrex you have to route exhaust gasses to the supercharger. Very complex system for something that a turbo does so simply. Do some research on it and reply back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think about it, your going to reverse mount it.. meaning the supercharger will be on the opposite side of the engine, inside the fender. Also with a rotrex you have to route exhaust gasses to the supercharger. Very complex system for something that a turbo does so simply. Do some research on it and reply back.
according to the website, and pics and video's, there is no "exhaust". What happens is instead of having the exhaust manifold turn the turbo, you have it linked to the pully system of the motor. There's basically the "intake" portion, which you hook a filter to, then the "output" that you hook to your throttle body. Also, a D16z6 in the del sol has TONS of room, and the rotrex is quite small......

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
according to the website, and pics and video's, there is no "exhaust". What happens is instead of having the exhaust manifold turn the turbo, you have it linked to the pully system of the motor. There's basically the "intake" portion, which you hook a filter to, then the "output" that you hook to your throttle body. Also, a D16z6 in the del sol has TONS of room, and the rotrex is quite small......
Ohh.. yknow what.. i was getting rotrex and comprex superchargers mixed up, yeah rotrex supercharger would work if you reverse mounted it, but your better off getting a ccw spinning centerfugal supercharger. Alot less hassle and it wont be sitting off the side of your engine like a huge boil.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
You would have to mount the unit over top the 92-95 washer bottle, then no room for piping.

The bracketry needed would be heavy and awkward Servicing would be a bitch, piping would be even worse.

Not worth the effort.........move one.

rMHT turbo setup will be cheaper and easier.

Oh yeah, lets not forget the special fluid the unit needs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts