Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DX with an AEM short ram intake, if I change the intake manifold will I gain somemore ponies? If so, which one should I get?

Mat

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
:gir:I say save your money on that Edelbrock and get a z6 IM........drops two insignificant coins and walks away

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what will I notice with doing this? Will the intake work on those IM's as well?

Mat

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the Y8, Z6, Skunk2, and Edelbrock will all bolt up with no modification on my D15B7? Will all the stock sensors, injectors, etc.... bolt up as well?

Mat

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
should I get the type r or prelude throttle body?

Mat

·
Registered
185 Posts
i would go with the type r throttle body. it is 62mm compared to the 60mm (i believe) prelude throttle body. if you get a skunk2 manifold, the throttle body opening of that manifold is 62mm. perfect for the 62mm type r throttle body. if not u can always get the bbk 62mm throttle body. thats what i have with my skunk2 manifold. remember to get an intake manifold gasket and tb gasket. i recommend the hondata intake manifold gasket. it keeps heat from reaching ur intake manifold. hope that helps.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard some people having trouble with the Skunk2. If I got the Z6 intake and type R throttle body can I still match it by porting it out?

Mat

·
Registered
185 Posts
94Civic224 said:
I heard some people having trouble with the Skunk2. If I got the Z6 intake and type R throttle body can I still match it by porting it out?
a
Mat
yes u can port match the z6 manifold to a larger tb. i only had clearance problems that was easily fixed with the skunk2. i say save up for an edelbrock or skunk2 because if u get a stock manifold (z6/y8), dont expect to go much faster. with the skunk2 or edelbrock u will definately feel the power difference (butt dyno).

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Your gonna notice more gains by just going with the AEM CAI long tube setup.

Then a A6 cam timed properly, lastly a Z6 inatke manifold.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just bought the Short Ram AEM, what is the A6 cam?

Mat

·
Registered
693 Posts
94Civic224 said:
I just bought the Short Ram AEM, what is the A6 cam?
Mat
You don't need an A6 cam, too much work for stock performance.
You could benefit from swapping in a Y7 head, they are cheap & don't require any electrical or ecu mods. Valves are larger than the B7 and compression will go up since the chambers are a bit smaller. Valvetrain can handle more rpms too.

I just put the Y8 manifold & t/b on my Y7 over the weekend, along with AEM CAI for 96-00 EX. I have issues with the OBD1 ecu so I'm still using stock Y7 ecu. Even so, the sound of the engine is awesome and the top end pull is really improved!

·
Registered
693 Posts
94Civic224 said:
So the Y7 is plug and play, and the Z6 isn't?
Talking about heads, yes. The Z6 bolts right on too but since it is VTEC you would need a P28 computer and also modify or replace your engine harness for the extra connectors. Since the Y7 is not VTEC it will bolt-on and go, you only need to use Y7 or Y8 head bolts.

The Z6 head of course is more powerful, just more involved and more expensive.

A Y8 or Z6 tranny would be probably the best return on investment for you though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts