Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New hybrid transmission! 4th gear grind issue!

So I finished creating my DX/ZC hybrid transmission and hooked it up today. I swapped in the side gears in the differential so I could use the original axles from the DX and while I had the case open I swapped the 5th gears too so I could have lower RPMs on the expressway. I also put in a new clutch kit. So after I got it all hooked up I took it out for a spin and all was great. Then after about 45 minutes of driving I tried downshifting from 5th to 4th and it wouldn't go into 4th gear all the way. It felt like it went in and then when I let the clutch back in It would pop out and grind horribly. Now it wont go into 4th gear at all! There's also a little grind every time I shift into 5th unless its at around 1000rpms. I have no idea what this could be caused by. Could it have something to do with the short-shifter off ebay? I also used 5w30 synthetic motor oil since I was told that's the same as honda mtf. I've been out of a car for over a month trying to get this transmission debokle solved, so I would really really appreciate any help on the issue. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
did you inspect the synchro sleeve? the dog teeth on 4th gear, measure the synchro to dog teeth clearance? 3-4 fork?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just took it for a spin despite the fact that it won't go into 4th. After about 3 minutes at 70 mph on the express way it just popped out of gear and wouldn't go back into 5th. After I got off and headed back home it would go into 4th and 5th now only sometimes. WTF mate!! is something coming loose inside the transmission? What could the problem possibly be? I really don't want to have to take the tranny off again since this'll be the 3rd time in 3 weeks but I don't really think there are any other options. What should I check for once I've got it off?? What could possibly be causing this problem??

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
first off, get rid of the synthetic oil....it is NOT the same as MTF.

I've never EVER had a tranny pop out of 4th or 5th, but that is usually a sign of low fluid level.

What was the shim clearance after you swapped 5th gear? You did check right?

·
Registered
91 civic dx sedan
351 Posts
^^^^ listen to this man

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first off, get rid of the synthetic oil....it is NOT the same as MTF.

I've never EVER had a tranny pop out of 4th or 5th, but that is usually a sign of low fluid level.

What was the shim clearance after you swapped 5th gear? You did check right?
Sadly I did not check the "shim clearance". To fill the oil I just openned the oil fill plug and filled through the back-up light switch hole until it began to pour out the oil fill hole. I don't really know too much about transmissions. My old DX transmission crapped out on me and I don't have enough money to pay someone to fix it. So I bought the ZC because I was told it was an SI and then come to find out the axles wouldn't fit (http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=60479). I then also didn't have enough $$$ to buy new axles and intermediate shaft for it so I found a way around it IE swapping the side gears.

I'm at a loss of what to do next. So first off I'm gonna drain the oil and replace it with Honda MTF. How much do I add? Or should I just use the same technique I did last time?

THANKS for all the help. I've been struggling with highschool, college (I dual enroll), work, girlfriend, and MY CAR for too long. So I appreciate all the help towards making my CRX driveable again :) .

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, I began dropped my transmission again. I need to know what to look/check for. I also went to autozone to buy some honda mtf and when they looked it up on their computer it said my transmission uses 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil??? Should I use honda mtf anyways? Should I just go to a Honda dealership to buy some?

Here's a picture of the oil I took out. I'm not really sure what all those little metal flakes indicate except that somethings wrong. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Ouch...thats alot of metal...open the case back up and see what you broke...I think it sould be pretty obvious

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
silver or gold color?

10w30 motor oil, no need to waste money until the tranny is right.

Even then you don't need it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
dead synchro, I'll bet you hurt the synchro and blocker ring, likely a broken 3-4 shifter fork.

$$$$$$$$$$

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,796 Posts
first, combine your posts, you are flooding needlessly.

You should have the parts left over from the tranny you just gutted to make your hybrid tranny.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmmm...alright well I'll take it apart and take some pictures and post em' up to see what you guys think (clearly you are all much more knowledgeable that I lol)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts