Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kicking around the idea of getting rid of the Legacy GT and picking up a new Honda. The Legacy recently hit 100k, and when it did I replaced the timing belt and a leaking valve cover gasket. Other than scheduled maintenance, front axles, and rear wheel bearings the car hasn't had any issues other than the starter being a little noisy when it's cold, but that is a common problem and easy to fix.

I haven't been keeping up with auto related news, and some Googling and dealership walk throughs I found out the new civic comes with a turbo SOHC (and soon to have a manual trans). I also saw the that it looks like the Type R might be sold here soon, as well as a CRZ with a dumbed down Type R engine. This throws a wrench in things.

Neither of the last 2 things seem to have been totally confirmed. If true I would consider keeping the Legacy as a daily/winter car, and just driving it until it dies. Though being a fan of the under dog, the SOHC turbo peeks my interest as well. It seems to make decent power stock, with what I can only assume is a tiny turbo. I have to talk to an insider I know still, but it would only make sense that Cobb is going to make an Access Port for these. If Cobb gets involved tuning should be a snap, and everyone and their mother makes aftermarket bits for Hondas, making upgrades a snap.

So the question is, do you jump on an EX when the manual trans is released, wait for an Si version, hope Honda actually brings the Type R, or Honda makes a totally amazing car? ie. CRZ with a turbo 2.0

I was looking to buy middle/late 2016. I'm in no hurry since the Legacy hasn't given me any problems, and it's still in great shape.

Has anyone ready or seen any reliable news about what Honda is or isn't going to release in the next year or so? I know the 2016 turbo SOHC is still new, but is there any info on the engine? I would assume Honda left room on the table for power/reliability.

This could have me nix the setup in my garage that I am working on, and just buy a track ready toy.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I was just talking about this and I think transzex said USA isn't getting the type r, I think if we do it will be non turbo probably (but that won't be an issue really).I'm not impressed with the hp of the ex-t but the mpg and 166ft lbs at 1700 rpm is pretty impressive, I don't know much about it besides it's a 1.5L with forged internals. I don't see why cob would get into honda tuning, they do Subaru stuff only right? I do see hondata making something like flash pro though for this car. if they make a manual version I say get it because I read that the ex-t msrp is 23,000 and the type r msrp is 40,000, I really want the new type r 4 door but I won't be buying one if it's above 30,000.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was just talking about this and I think transzex said USA isn't getting the type r, I think if we do it will be non turbo probably (but that won't be an issue really).I'm not impressed with the hp of the ex-t but the mpg and 166ft lbs at 1700 rpm is pretty impressive, I don't know much about it besides it's a 1.5L with forged internals. I don't see why cob would get into honda tuning, they do Subaru stuff only right? I do see hondata making something like flash pro though for this car. if they make a manual version I say get it because I read that the ex-t msrp is 23,000 and the type r msrp is 40,000, I really want the new type r 4 door but I won't be buying one if it's above 30,000.
Cobb has expanded what they are making Access Ports for.
COBB Tuning - Accessport
Basically, anything new with a turbo on it.

From the interwebz it looks like Honda is using a small turbo that is pushing 16psi to make those numbers. I would assume they are trying to minimize lag. A new turbo would be high on my to do list.

From this picture it looks like the turbo is just running out of breath.

edit: and the 1.5t is a DOHC... huh. I had just assumed it was a single cam engine.
I wonder if they will start putting this engine in the Fit.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I think someone said it's a k04 turbo. Just get a custom manifold new turbo and a ecu and I bet they make over 300hp, I definitely want one when they have a manual transmission (cars ugly but it will eventually grow on me)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
2016 Honda Civic 1.5T and 2.0L engines technical presentation (specs, pics, videos) | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

Anyone else think its funny the NA engine is 10.8:1 and the turbo engine is 10.6:1 with 16.5psi of boost and runs on 87 octane?

2.0NA:

"Lightweight steel connecting rods are heat-forged in one piece for higher strength"

Interesting.

"Exhaust-port passages cast directly into cylinder head (eliminating separate exhaust manifold)"

Because who doesnt love that?

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
How they described the rods and exhaust is exactly what they did with my L15A7 motor in the 2013 Fit.

Those motors have proven to be reliable past 300whp, with factory 117 crank ponies.

I think reliability is definitely there.

youtube - engineering explained.

Looks like a kid, but he does a great job at reviewing the new civic. Sadly the civic was not a manual

·
Registered
844 Posts
I currently own a 2015 crz after loads of research and several high end Honda racing mechanics.

Ill pass on the knowledge I was giving by the HPD crew last June

"the only way a crz will EVER come out with a K series is if it was swapped, even in Japan the best version of the car is some mugen RZ and it has a supercharged 1.5 L-series engine"

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts
They're definitely, without question, introducing a type r here. Honda announced it in an official press release. The consencous among most is that the type r will be in the $34-35k range and make around 300+ hp. The speculation is that the Si will make around 230hp though I'd think 220 is more realistic and I'd be surprised if it was more than $26-27k.

CRZ is boring and there's only loose speculation that it will get a larger engine though I recall the Honda President announcing that want going to happen.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
HR-V only comes in CVT tranny if you want AWD though.

Honda needs to release a manual AWD vehicle in the sub 32k market

Especially when the 2WD variant with a manual still has the chassis revisions for the AWD system, indicating overseas they offer it as such

·
Registered
5,878 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
test drive the hell out of anything you are interested in. Dont be an impulse buyer.

If you use the Legacy as trade in, do not let them know right away. DO your research and find fair market value. Most dealerships want at least a 50% profit margin, so keep that in mind. 100k tune up is a MAJOR selling point. Dont let them take too much advantage of you

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,931 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
That CTR looks ass ugly

Id sooner buy a 2016 civic and give it a little dose of steroids

1 - 20 of 104 Posts