Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm a new member. I own a 93 Del Sol Si that I'm rebuilding right now. Mainly joined cause I'm looking for the Greddy or Edelbrock turbo kit that's CARB compliant for Cali. Thanks

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,260 Posts
You can build your own, but you need a recirc BoV, and a functioning pcv system with catch can, pcv valve, and draft tube in the intake, you also need to do some little things like check valves on the evap system to maintain functionality there, magna flow has a 2.5" carb legal cat for it, then it needs to be tunned to maintain between lambda .95 and 1.05. Then its just a couple weeks of dicking around with paperwork, a visit to the smog ref for initial testing, and a return visit 3 months later for a follow up test. They will tape the ecu shut to notify smog techs if its been tampered with after the testing is finished.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can build your own, but you need a recirc BoV, and a functioning pcv system with catch can, pcv valve, and draft tube in the intake, you also need to do some little things like check valves on the evap system to maintain functionality there, magna flow has a 2.5" carb legal cat for it, then it needs to be tunned to maintain between lambda .95 and 1.05. Then its just a couple weeks of dicking around with paperwork, a visit to the smog ref for initial testing, and a return visit 3 months later for a follow up test. They will tape the ecu shut to notify smog techs if its been tampered with after the testing is finished.
Please could you put it in more layman's terms? I'm not super new to turbos but I am new to diy kits. And how will this be legal in Cali? And what if I wanted to tune it... Would it make it illegal? Sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oooooooooooh. Wait can I use any turbo kit and as long as I keep it within a certain smog limit?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As long as it is obd1 car it pretty much just needs to pass the gas side and and have functioning emissions controls standard to the model, yours came with egr? No big deal, plenty d series didn't, if they see a block off plate that's a red flag, but if the oem manifold you are using wasnt equipped... loop holes and reacharounds, its how smog goes in cali, lol. You just need to tune it correctly for emissions testing below 3000 rpm. The carb legal kits are nice, but EXTREMELY hard to get hold of now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as it is obd1 car it pretty much just needs to pass the gas side and and have functioning emissions controls standard to the model, yours came with egr? No big deal, plenty d series didn't, if they see a block off plate that's a red flag, but if the oem manifold you are using wasnt equipped... loop holes and reacharounds, its how smog goes in cali, lol. You just need to tune it correctly for emissions testing below 3000 rpm. The carb legal kits are nice, but EXTREMELY hard to get hold of now.
but what about the visual?

but what about the visual?
I mean the visual inspection

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you do the paperwork and your gasses pass at the smog ref both times they will give you a carb oe number, sometimes they engrave it on exhaust manifold, turbo, intake tubes, ect. Other times it's a sticker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do the paperwork and your gasses pass at the smog ref both times they will give you a carb oe number, sometimes they engrave it on exhaust manifold, turbo, intake tubes, ect. Other times it's a sticker.
Just to be clear... I can do this with any turbo kit... right?

Just to be clear... I can do this with any turbo kit... right?
Cause I already have an ebay turbo kit, just thought I needed the carb one

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yes, contact your district smog referee for paperwork and appointment for testing, sometimes it's 6 months out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you dont mind, can you explain this list in more details and what I need to do in more detail? Maybe with links to the parts I need so I know what they look like?

Yes, contact your district smog referee for paperwork and appointment for testing, sometimes it's 6 months out.
and is this legit? I've never heard of this before so I'm a little skeptical

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
With a quick search I found this video that explains the recirculating bov or bypass valve, not going to spoon feed you, you want someone to do it for you im pricey, more than happy to nudge you in the right direction though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With a quick search I found this video that explains the recirculating bov or bypass valve, not going to spoon feed you, you want someone to do it for you im pricey, more than happy to nudge you in the right direction though.
I'm fine with doing it myself, I just haven't heard anything about a pcv system with catchcan and a draft tube for the intake

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That's pretty basic, and won't support much more than a small turbo, but would work with a properly made draft tube in the intake duct between filter and turbo, for reference on the draft tube look at the stock breather tube that comes off the valve cover and runs into the intake, see how it extends 1/3 of the way into the duct and is slash cut? When air flows past that it creates a small amount of suction that will pull the pcv gasses into the air intake when under boost and there is no vacuum at the pcv valve, through the turbo, piping, intercooler, more piping and into the engine to be burnt during combustion then further burnt through the catalytic converter.
This is good for a couple reasons, emissions and ring sealing, but kinda a pain long term as you will need to run a non combustible intake cleaner every so often to clean out the oil vapor that accumulates in the turbo and intercooler piping, I use the stuff honda suggests for the k series routine maintenance.
Now look up the black box delete fitting, catch cans, and extra valve cover vents, go further down the rabbit hole and see what you find 😃

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's pretty basic, and won't support much more than a small turbo, but would work with a properly made draft tube in the intake duct between filter and turbo, for reference on the draft tube look at the stock breather tube that comes off the valve cover and runs into the intake, see how it extends 1/3 of the way into the duct and is slash cut? When air flows past that it creates a small amount of suction that will pull the pcv gasses into the air intake when under boost and there is no vacuum at the pcv valve, through the turbo, piping, intercooler, more piping and into the engine to be burnt during combustion then further burnt through the catalytic converter.
This is good for a couple reasons, emissions and ring sealing, but kinda a pain long term as you will need to run a non combustible intake cleaner every so often to clean out the oil vapor that accumulates in the turbo and intercooler piping, I use the stuff honda suggests for the k series routine maintenance.
Now look up the black box delete fitting, catch cans, and extra valve cover vents, go further down the rabbit hole and see what you find 😃
Will do! I should mention that I only want 250 wheel hp with 300 being the max? And you never answered if ur in Cali or not

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yes I'm in cali, have had to deal with smog bs since I started wrenching. The hoops you have to jump through suck, but once it's done it's just keeping it in good running condition to stay legal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts