Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been snooping around reading, figured I'd join in.
Bought a 93 Civic Lx (D15B7) auto. Been doing some upgrades on the suspension for now.
I've mostly played with DSM's (1g A's) , had a couple other Honda's in the past, an 86 Prelude Si, 85 Civic Dx.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
938 Posts
Welcome! Look forward to seeing progress

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. So far I've done:
eBay coilovers, Adjustable height, preload, damper.
Rear control arms, subframe plate and bar
Front traction bar.
Manual steering rack.
Deleted all power steering components, obviously.
Air-conditioning deleted from firewall thru engine compartment.
All new stock replacement suspension up front.
It was literally a little old ladies car, no mods or abuse.
Did basic maintenance that had been neglected, plugs (E3) wires, cap and rotor. Fuel filter might have been original, still had a warning label for pressure relief.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
If you put E3 spark plugs into your engine, stop and think for a minute. Do I want this car to reliably start and run?

Then go back to the partsstore and ask for NGK Vpower, the FACTORY spark plug. If you check the gap, its gonna show as 0.039, but teh groove in the center makes it the full 0.044 gap.

Already questioning the focus of this car when ebay suspension and E3 spark plugs were used. Ive had enough cheap suspension parts turn to scrap in hours of driving to deter me from ever going that route ever again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used E3's for years without issue.
It's a cheap car without a serious goal, just a giggle mobile. I would buy something serious, I would have picked up something that has a better chassis and drivetrain if I was looking for actual performance, but thanks for the backhand diss.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Backhand diss? Lemme explain a few things.

The proper NGK plugs for your car are $2 each. They work 100% with teh factory ignition. Ive had bad luck with E3 plugs. Are they goign to quit working or shoot through the hood? nope. They simply are not the best for fuel economy or power. The plug the ignition system was designed around, THAT is the correct plug. Especially for non-tuned or modified powerplants.

The ebay suspension? Yes, a bit of a diss. It is stuff that is bound to fail. hardware backing out or breaking, bushings popping right out since the adhesive holding them in is not great.

Ive been through the cheap civic parts list multiple times. I didnt learn the first time I sent a wheel off into the shoulder. I didnt learn the second time when I burned through a set of tires due to bad alignment from shitty bushings. I didnt learn the 3rd time I had a control arm bolt break and slap a rear tire against the fender.

Im putting it out there right away, rather than seeing you deal with that bullshit.

What can you do now? Keep an eye on things. Check the bolt torque on anything that isnt OEM honda or a grade 8 or 10. Keep an eye on tire wear to make sure things are working aws they should.

Not exactly a backhand diss, but I do see how it came across as such.

```````````````
```````````````
It is your car. Dont let anyone on the internet control it. But we in the forum are indeed allowed to share experiences, adn at least give you a few things to think about.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts
If you put E3 spark plugs into your engine, stop and think for a minute. Do I want this car to reliably start and run?

Then go back to the partsstore and ask for NGK Vpower, the FACTORY spark plug. If you check the gap, its gonna show as 0.039, but teh groove in the center makes it the full 0.044 gap.

Already questioning the focus of this car when ebay suspension and E3 spark plugs were used. Ive had enough cheap suspension parts turn to scrap in hours of driving to deter me from ever going that route ever again.

See, this I agree with................because its true.

E3 spark plugs are good for one thing. Fishing weights, things to throw at the guy in the next bay to annoy the piss out of him, or most appropriately to be thrown into the trash can.

Reactions: robgoof
1 - 9 of 9 Posts