Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,

I have been spending almost all day searching and researching various forums and have decided to start here with my questions.

I was approached by a friend of mine yesterday who picked up a 92 turbo hatchback last weekend. The car is not running properly and I am trying to help him figure out why.

Here is what I know as of right now since I haven't really dug into the engine yet...

The engine is a D15B2
There is a phearable.net ECU
255l Fuel Pump
T3/T4 turbo from a volvo S40
VAFC Apexi A/F Controller
Turbo Timer
I have yet to determine if there is a FMU unless the phearable.net ecu is it.
Manual Boost Controller
Fuel Injectors from a Honda Accord (I don't know the year yet)

Keep in mind I have only looked at the car for 10 minutes in the dark tonight night.

The car is running very rough, sputters and it looks like the boost controller is not working which is a good thing because the way this car was pieced together the engine would be blown if it was working.

Everything I have read to date tells me that using a VAFC and FMU with this setup is garbage. What I want to do is first figure out what the hell has been done to the car. It appears the conversion has already been done from DPFI to MPFI but again, I will confirm that later.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction of what to look for or give me any pointers? I know only what I learned today about Civic motors.

Any help is appreciated.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
if you have a chipped ECU you dont need a VAFC or FMU.

The only way to really tell is to put a wideband O2 sensor on and monitor the AFRs.

Also you need a chip reader/burner to see what kind of tune it has on it. Make sure the injectors on the tune match what is in the car. Check the timing tables and see if they check out...etc.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Good Afternoon,

I have been spending almost all day searching and researching various forums and have decided to start here with my questions.

I was approached by a friend of mine yesterday who picked up a 92 turbo hatchback last weekend. The car is not running properly and I am trying to help him figure out why.

Here is what I know as of right now since I haven't really dug into the engine yet...

The engine is a D15B2
There is a phearable.net ECU
255l Fuel Pump
T3/T4 turbo from a volvo S40
VAFC Apexi A/F Controller
Turbo Timer
I have yet to determine if there is a FMU unless the phearable.net ecu is it.
Manual Boost Controller
Fuel Injectors from a Honda Accord (I don't know the year yet)

Keep in mind I have only looked at the car for 10 minutes in the dark tonight night.

The car is running very rough, sputters and it looks like the boost controller is not working which is a good thing because the way this car was pieced together the engine would be blown if it was working.

Everything I have read to date tells me that using a VAFC and FMU with this setup is garbage. What I want to do is first figure out what the hell has been done to the car. It appears the conversion has already been done from DPFI to MPFI but again, I will confirm that later.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction of what to look for or give me any pointers? I know only what I learned today about Civic motors.

Any help is appreciated.
The engine shouldnt be DPFI if its in an eg (MPFI and OBD1) and has accord injectors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike-

Thanks so much for your quick reply. He does have the VAFC and since the need for a FMU is not needed with the chipped ECU that explains why I didn't see one. Where would I pick up a chip reader/burner?

I forgot to check and see if he had a wideband already on the car. That's on my list of things to check tomorrow.

I appreciate your help and insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The engine shouldnt be DPFI if its in an eg (MPFI and OBD1) and has accord injectors
Well, it's a 1992 Civic Hatch. I noticed a z6 intake manifold on it tonight.

I was under the impression all d15b2 engines were DPFI but that may not be the case since 1992 cars were OBD1.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Well, it's a 1992 Civic Hatch. I noticed a z6 intake manifold on it tonight.

I was under the impression all d15b2 engines were DPFI but that may not be the case since 1992 cars were OBD1.
1992-1996 obd1

you have a chipped ecu that maybe running on a basemap which is not a tune. Find out what size ejectors your running, usually the person who made your basemap already input the correct injector size <<<hopefully<<<<<

vafc not needed, your ecu should control your fuel. Get it to a tuner to tune it correctly. The only way to read what setup your ecu have is to have a program like crome, neptune, etc..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I did some more digging around today in some light. There is no wideband...not good. I should kick my friend for purchasing someone elses incomplete half assed project, but he did get a good deal on it.

I found out today that I think there is a problem with the internal wastegate. The manual boost controller is not working and the wastegate doesn't seem to be moving. The turbine does spin.

Hopefully this rain will stop today so I can get a better look. I will post some photos later.

So far on his shopping list is:

Wideband
A/F gauge
Possiblly an internal wastegate
Electronic Boost Controller

and ditch the VAFC

Then it looks like we'll have to find a tuner in the area.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Mike-

Where would I pick up a chip reader/burner?

no prob, I used to get all my ECU supplies from moates.net

They had one for like 80 bucks, but if you are getting into basic tuning you should get the ostrich.
It allows you to make changes to the tune on the fly, so its much less time consuming to tune.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
You said Accord injectors. Most likely they are obd1 But check the resistance on them just to be sure you won't need to run a resistor box...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts