Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have just purchased a 1999 Honda civic EX 5-speed with 85000 miles. It was previously owned by an elderly couple who garage stored it, and only drove to church, grocery store etc. It's mint condition, 100% stock. I love the car, but it's SO SLOW. No power at all unless I Rev it past 4000+ even merging on the interstate I can't shift into 5th til past 60 mph.
1. I'm thinking of turboing the D16Y8 in it, or
2. I got a JDM LS-VTEC from a friend. B16 head, B18b block, not running, half in pieces but it's all there.
I will not be racing or dragging this car. It's a 100% daily driver just looking for more power. I would be fully satisfied with 170-200whp. (200+ is OK, just don't want anything over 250 just seems impractical in a tiny FWD car).

My absolute #1 priority is maintaining or increasing? factory RELIABILITY. I am willing to shell out a solid amount of cash for a 200hp motor that will run another 200,000 miles. (I use top quality oil and am very thorough with maintenance on my vehicles).

I've been doing research. From what I've read, if going with the LS vtec while maintaining reliability, it must be done 100% right in every way, plus have the headache of swapping a motor.
I'm leaning towards keeping it simple- turbo the D16. I don't necessarily have a budget, but I really don't want to spend over $5000. $2-3k is more of my goal, but if $5k+ is what it takes to build an ultra solid 200whp motor that will daily drive another 200k miles, so be it.

Thoughts, comments or opinions?
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
Waitress wanted
939 Posts
stick with a D..
Do you plan on tackling this project on your own ?

if you gotta pay anyone to do anything forget your 2-3k..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a motorcycle technician for most of my 20's, and have worked on cars before. I feel I could install the hardware, but I would have to have someone tune it. But also have no experience with a turbo system. I might pay to have it installed. If it costs more than $5k I'm ok with that, as long as it's extremely reliable and will last.
Do you think I should invest in building the motor in addition to the turbo system? Crank, rods, pistons, cams? If I am only wanting 180-200whp?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is no way to make a turbo D16 last like the factory motor? This is what I wanted to know and get opinions on.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
Being blunt, you bought the wrong car for what you want/need.

Messing about with cars to increase their power by 75%+ is a labour of love and not about having an A to B daily.
I can't speak for the USA, but a budget of 5K plus your EX would open up a lot of better choices here in the UK.

On the other hand, you could install a turbo yourself, pay a real pro to tune it and have a lot of fun. Reliability will depend on the integrity of the build & components, maintenance, keeping the boost low and driving style.

My take is this:
If the EX really is mint, keep it stock and nurture it. Use the $5k to buy a hooligan. Example 1: get a Miata and go everywhere slowly but sidewards. Other ideas might include an MR2 or something home-grown that's 20 years old, plug-ugly but has a V8.

·
Registered
92 cx
932 Posts
I'd say the B swap is more reliable than a turbo D build. It will still cost a bit to do it properly either way you go. The turbo D will be faster hands down. Just 7psi with small turbo i beat a JDM B18C TYPE-R swapped EJ1 with the 4.78 final drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, food for thought. How long have you had your turbo D and how much hp? Also what turbo/setup are you running?

·
Registered
92 cx
932 Posts
Well it's down right now cuz i suck with electrical disagnosis. I made 176whp and 189wtq on 7psi with a greddy 15g. It's faster than the semi built ls/vtec with stage 2 cam set up i had (175whp and 135wtq and 120lbish heavier). The ls/vtec setup lasted twice as long tho without any issues. Parts cost more for bseries stuff too. People practically throw out D series stuff. Also i hated only making real power only in vtec.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Turbo and reliability shouldn't really be used in the same sentence when it comes to slapping something onto a N/A motor. It's possible, but not probable. Jackson racing use to make a supercharger kit for the D16, if you can find one of those you might reach your HP goal, but even with that reliability could still pose a threat.

A turbo will eventually make you nuts... one of two things will happen. 1. Reliability will take a dive and you'll be wrenching on it all the time. Or 2. The sweet taste of that "boost juice" will cause you to make you want more, and you'll end up wrenching on it all the time.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If you want 200 go and factory stock reliability, start thinking K swap.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,867 Posts
depends on how much of a go getter you are...
Right you can buy a compete smashed up rsx that will give you every part you need. Other then a few odd and ends and if you can weld you need less of those odds and ends.

But a b18c5/1 with boltons will give you near the numbers you want within your budget and factory reliability. Or even cheaper would be a h22 with a bseries tranny using the H to B no adaptor plate idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the B18 I have has a jdmB16 head on it. It would need to be completely rebuilt.
I think I'm going to start tinkering with the D16 that's in it and learn some while I save and eventually do a K swap. I would like to find a wreaked tsx.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the B18 I have has a jdmB16 head on it. It would need to be completely rebuilt.
I think I'm going to start tinkering with the D16 that's in it and learn some while I save and eventually do a K swap. I would like to find a wreaked tsx.....

If I were to put the ls V-tec in it, I would have to find a different transmission right? I am mechanically inclined but have never swapped a car motor or transmission. It sounds very involved and difficult

1 - 18 of 18 Posts