Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey all... i have a ef soon to get a b18 swap... and a 4dr eg with a d15b in it... well the story goes, i got a 4 dollar turbo, and a 45 dollar turbo manifold with my guess is a 15lb wastegate on it
i got a td04hl-15g out of a volvo, from a junkyard, very little shaft play btw.. took the turbo out, stuck it in a jeep charaoke air box and bought that for 4 bucks.. all i need is my downpipe, lines, oil adapter plate, and a intercooler kit...
(puttin it on the 4dr, which has a 50shot of nitrous) the motor has about 40k on it, and just bought a 8lb flywheel with a stage 3 clutch (the ebay special lol for 250 bucks (xtd))
the interior was all blue and white from the guy i got the car from, just about finished swapin it all over to grey, and put in integra seats... just needs the the black dash in, and different color rear seats
ill get pics up soon of the car and the turbo n such

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
so your manifold is gonna fit the turbo??? you still missing a bunch of parts... you need an ecu, a tune, injectors, also you have a 50shot of nitrious already hooked up and your planning on turboing it??? for one, its not going to last too long.. have you seen the rods of a d15? there thinner than a d16. you might get 175hp out of it safely, the wastegate on that turbo is internal.. and im positive its not on 15psi... you have a lot of researching to do... use the search button above

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow dude... the whole story aint there... the manifold has a external wastegate on it thats fuckin insanley huge... and the tdo4 has the internal wastegate which is correct.. with probably a 6lb spring in it, the wastegate came with manifold.. now about the manifold lining up with the exhaust portion of the turbo... the bolt holes line up perfectly, just need to be enlarged... so a buddy who goes to a machining school has it right now mashining out the holes bigger and resurfacing everything... another buddy is making oil lines for me, the nitrous is going buh bye, already have a chipped and flashed ecu for more fuel and air.. all i have left for this kit is the flange to be welded on the downpipe (that i have yet to order) a intercooler kit, like i said before my oil lines and oil adapter plate for the oil flow and return lines, and yes i would like to get a hondata s300ecu... but the moral of this is, my buddy has a 525whp 03 civic k20a2 (fully built) pushin only 22lbs of boost, who's helping me build a simple kit, oh ya another buddy had a del sol with a d15b in it running 8lbs at like 196whp, daily

·
Registered
230 Posts
so which wastegate are you going to use :|
?

the internal one from the volvo im sure isnt good for 15psi.. lol
If you were to weld the flap shut on the internal waste gate and use the external one which you say is huge then yea sure it can ..lol do what you want and what about injectors?

but i would just listen to the poster above... do more research before you blow your motor

just my .02

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
3,890 Posts
so which wastegate are you going to use :|
?

the internal one from the volvo im sure isnt good for 15psi.. lol
If you were to weld the flap shut on the waste gate and use the external one which you say is huge then yea sure it can lol

I would just do more research before you blow your motor

just my .02
wow i did not know you could do that but it does not seem smart

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
11,969 Posts
Well, aren't you the boost-happy litle n00b I thought you'd be?

You seem to know a decent amount of info but as boostfreak suggested, I also suggest you get to researching. I also suggest that you check out homemadeturbo.com. There's much to learn about boosting the piss out of a Honda motor and even more about boosting a SOHC Honda motor.

A vast majority of the member here, including admin are running terbow'd cars a daily driven cars and even more members that are in the process of terbow builds. I know quite a bit about terbow Hondas and its all because I've done a lot of researching & reading on this very site. Its worth being a member her.

I myself am planning to do something to my motor that's just as costly & time consuming as having a terbow...

But nonetheless, welcome, read, research, and follow the rules and you'll love it here.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
wow dude... the whole story aint there... the manifold has a external wastegate on it thats fuckin insanley huge... and the tdo4 has the internal wastegate which is correct.. with probably a 6lb spring in it, the wastegate came with manifold.. now about the manifold lining up with the exhaust portion of the turbo... the bolt holes line up perfectly, just need to be enlarged... so a buddy who goes to a machining school has it right now mashining out the holes bigger and resurfacing everything... another buddy is making oil lines for me, the nitrous is going buh bye, already have a chipped and flashed ecu for more fuel and air.. all i have left for this kit is the flange to be welded on the downpipe (that i have yet to order) a intercooler kit, like i said before my oil lines and oil adapter plate for the oil flow and return lines, and yes i would like to get a hondata s300ecu... but the moral of this is, my buddy has a 525whp 03 civic k20a2 (fully built) pushin only 22lbs of boost, who's helping me build a simple kit, oh ya another buddy had a del sol with a d15b in it running 8lbs at like 196whp, daily
well you seem to be somewhat on the right track here.

So you have a chipped ecu for more fuel and air......im guessing that means an ecu that will allow you to tune your afrs? What program are you running to tune with?

also, with that tuning on your daily driver d15, your gonna want to mess with the ignition maps, probably making them pretty darn conservative. I would retard 1* per lbs of boost, and not much less than that if you dont know what your doing when it comes to tuning.

And thats fine and great that your buddy ran 8lbs and had 196whp on his d15, but just because he had it doesnt mean you will. Different turbo, different tune, and most of all, different motor, so if you see 175whp and it breaks, you can only blame yourself cause after reading this you can consider it a warning. Your really pushing the limits of that motor and the key thing that will be the determining factor of if it holds up or not is going to be the tune.

And hopefully when you had that 50 shot running through there, you had a good tune and didnt tear anything up that the turbo will finish off......

but you seem decently knowledgable, and you seem like you have a couple of knowledgable buddies, but my main concern is your tuning. Research ALOT about tuning!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not using the 15lb external wastegate... im going to make a plate to just block off that waste gate... how the manifold and the turbo sit together, there is 2 wastegates (trying to clarify) im using the stock internal wastegate which is inbetween the 6 to 8lbs... i have 450cc injectors... im running low boost till i get the b18 in the hatch to drive around daily, THEN im throwing in new pistons and rods... all im saying is im running a low boost set up, for just daily driving, and some fun here and there, i dont want to boost the piss out of this car, i just want to take advantage of a 4 dollar turbo,... as i said before im not making the biggest n fastest machine... thats what the hatch is for, b18a1 soon to have sleeves, forged pistons and rods after i sell my dam suzuki... this car is a daily driver, and a secondary project car,

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
im not using the 15lb external wastegate... im going to make a plate to just block off that waste gate... how the manifold and the turbo sit together, there is 2 wastegates (trying to clarify) im using the stock internal wastegate which is inbetween the 6 to 8lbs... i have 450cc injectors... im running low boost till i get the b18 in the hatch to drive around daily, THEN im throwing in new pistons and rods... all im saying is im running a low boost set up, for just daily driving, and some fun here and there, i dont want to boost the piss out of this car, i just want to take advantage of a 4 dollar turbo,... as i said before im not making the biggest n fastest machine... thats what the hatch is for, b18a1 soon to have sleeves, forged pistons and rods after i sell my dam suzuki... this car is a daily driver, and a secondary project car,
man, if you want a reliable daily driver, throw away (and by throw away i mean sell) that external wastegate with the 15lbs spring in it and have your buddy who is a machinist, machine you a block off plate for the manifold, cause if this is just a temporary boost setup till you get your hatch running, you dont need that 15 lbs wastegate. that 6-8 lbs internal gate on the turbo will be JUST FINE, and you can get some extra cash from the external when you sell it. not to mention, that stock d15 wont be able to handle much more than the internal wg of that turbo anyway.......

the 450's will be just fine. if they are dsm injectors, be prepared to wire up or buy a resistor box, unless you have obd-0, which i know you dont.

but like i said before man, everything your doing seems fine. I dont think you need that wastegate and i think a block off flange would be the way to go and just sell the external wastegate.

there are plenty of people that boost a motor on a very low budget, some fail miserably and some succeed and have a very well running reliable car. but like i said before, its all in the tune and that will be the single most important thing you do for this turbo setup!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
even if i was to run 175whp i'd be happy, and ya if i was to run 220whp and blow it up i could say that i was warned about it... but around where i live all there is are ricers, so i'd just blow the doors off all them for the hell of it... ya i wasnt specific on how much power im lookin forward to see... of course everyone wants to see their car with as much power under the hood as possible, i just want to say i have a 4dollar turbo'd car... i never said that this was going to be ez or cheap... didnt even say that i was nearly completed, ya maybe my wording helped make it seem like it is close, or even ez... it is a proccess that takes commitment, and i have some really good friends that are helping with this... but just would respect not to be hated on, for what i have got, and got done so far

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guess i didnt clarify enough... I AM NOT USING THAT 15LB SPRING!!!!!I AM BLOCKING IT OFF... IM USING THE STOCK INTERNAL WASTEGATE, WHICH I KNOW IS AND WILL BE PLENTY OF BOOST FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO
lol said that a few posts ago

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i figure if i sell that wastegate, and the nitrous kit... that would give me the rest of the money i need to buy my downpipe, my lines, hardware, intercooler, and ect.. on everything else i need.. have a kid who will buy the kit i got for free for 300 bucks... and that wastegate i can put that on craigslist for like 35bucks for the hell of it...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
even if i was to run 175whp i'd be happy, and ya if i was to run 220whp and blow it up i could say that i was warned about it... but around where i live all there is are ricers, so i'd just blow the doors off all them for the hell of it... ya i wasnt specific on how much power im lookin forward to see... of course everyone wants to see their car with as much power under the hood as possible, i just want to say i have a 4dollar turbo'd car... i never said that this was going to be ez or cheap... didnt even say that i was nearly completed, ya maybe my wording helped make it seem like it is close, or even ez... it is a proccess that takes commitment, and i have some really good friends that are helping with this... but just would respect not to be hated on, for what i have got, and got done so far
trust me man, no one here is hating on you, just trying to help a fellow d-series noob out!

Everyone has to start somewhere.......hell, before i built my d-series and blew it up, i did alot of research....and asked ALOT of stupid questions in the process. Thats the purpose of the forums.

And everything takes time, but the key for yours is to do it right. I agree with you, i used to live in a town with tons of ricers, and i GUARANTEE you that if they drive anything like the ones in my town did, that 150whp will be able to beat them all day long, but i also agree that 175whp would be all the better:)

just take your time and research. Before anything was purchased or installed into my car, i did an extensive search to make sure that i was making a good decision and that i was installing it correctly........the only stupid question is the one you dont ask that causes your daily driver to throw those skinny ass rods....

so ask away, and you shold just research all of my old post, i bet they can answer every question you have to ask...

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
i figure if i sell that wastegate, and the nitrous kit... that would give me the rest of the money i need to buy my downpipe, my lines, hardware, intercooler, and ect.. on everything else i need.. have a kid who will buy the kit i got for free for 300 bucks... and that wastegate i can put that on craigslist for like 35bucks for the hell of it...
you obviously live near a junkyard if youve already gotten parts from there.

for your setup, you could easily get by with a dsm side mount intercooler. I just thought i would throw that out there if you are trying to have a quick car for cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya there aren't any dsm's in any of them.. so as of right now i have the volvo intercooler i got the turbo from... its huge but i can get it to work... (height wize) requires me to move the radiator and cut a chunk out of my hood (just a chunk out of the support section near the front... but ima wait to hopefully find that dsm intercooler

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ima get everything else though meanwhile... and save the intercooler for last...
question though... im having a bogging issue from 2 to 3k rpms, for first n 2nd gear... and also, the 3 stage vtec ive been noticing kick in at different rpms in different gears... that normal?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
ya there aren't any dsm's in any of them.. so as of right now i have the volvo intercooler i got the turbo from... its huge but i can get it to work... (height wize) requires me to move the radiator and cut a chunk out of my hood (just a chunk out of the support section near the front... but ima wait to hopefully find that dsm intercooler
well, my opinion of a ricer is doing what you just said, which is cutting a whole in your hood for a low hp build.........but hey, do what you gotta do. If it were the difference of loads of hp, i would give you a saw to do the job, but if you can just get a new IC, just get a new IC.

here is 3 dsm side mounts for cheap:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__dsm-side-mount_W0QQ_nkwZdsmQ20sideQ20mountQQ_fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1QQ_trksidZm39

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no no no.... not like actually cutting a hole in the top of the hood, not the outsid of it... right next to the locking hook... i need to grind out a small hood for some clearance... but thats last resort lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts