Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replace the head gasket on my d16y8 and installed some new ARP studs. Got it all put back together and tried to start it. Engine turns over but wont start. Im guessing its the timing belt causing the problem because i was stupid enough to forget to set the cam and crack and tdc before taking everything apart and im sure its at least a couple teeth off now.

so my question is, can i remove the belt from the cam, rotate the crank to tdc, then rotate the cam to tdc, then reattach the belt without having to take everything else apart? according to my manual that should work, ive just heard so many horror stories about people smashing their valves doing similar things.

also i was planning on putting a skrew driver into the number one cylinder then rotating it untill its at its highest point, is this an accurate way to find tdc?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Take the timing belt off the cam, rotate the crank, so the TDC white mark on the crank pulley lined up with the pointer on the lower cover. Take off your distributor cap and mark sure the cam is at TDC, and tension the belt according to the manual. Hopefully you didnt do any damage already, I cant imagine you would have without immediately hearing it upon cranking. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
no you cannot turn them over seperatly....

pull your #1 sparkplug and insert your dipstick into the hole. with the timing belt on turn it to as close to tdc as you can. check marks on the head if your a couple teeth off your ok. remember the crank spins twice for each time the head spins once so if the dash's are upside down turn it over one more time till piston is tdc. if its a couple teeth off time according to the manual, if its way off pull the sucker back apart and make sure to use a new headgasket as the "new" one you just put in has already been crushed and is no good to reuse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could the distributor timing cause it to turn over but not start? i just want to try everything before i take the entire thing apart again.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
go through the procees i just listed...get it first to tdc with everything still installed to see how far you are off

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
no you cannot turn them over seperatly....

yes you can. if the crank is 90* off tdc, there is enough room for VTP clearance on all cylinders.

pull your #1 sparkplug and insert your dipstick into the hole. with the timing belt on turn it to as close to tdc as you can. check marks on the head if your a couple teeth off your ok. remember the crank spins twice for each time the head spins once so if the dash's are upside down turn it over one more time till piston is tdc. if its a couple teeth off time according to the manual, if its way off pull the sucker back apart and make sure to use a new headgasket as the "new" one you just put in has already been crushed and is no good to reuse.
could the distributor timing cause it to turn over but not start? i just want to try everything before i take the entire thing apart again.
yes, distributor timing can, either your 180* out, or your spark plug wires are not in the correct order.

when i fixed my cam timing, i put the crank at tdc, marked where the belt was on belt and cam gear, pulled the belt off, moved the cam in the corresponding direction, moving it very little, pulled the cam gear off, adjusted the belt on the gear according to which way and put the gear back on the cam with the belt on the cam gear. probably not the best way though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts