Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! Against my better judgement, I'm now part owner of a $500 '97 EX coupe. Previous owner ran it without oil and the engine locked up. The plan is to get it running again and sorted out for HPDE events this year, and then turn it into a proper racecar to run in chumpcar once my novices are used to driving on a track.

I'll probably start a project thread at some point here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are your plans engine setup wise?
For now just a running stock Y8. Given the chumpcar-assigned value of the car, I don't have a whole lot of room to play with mods. Once the car gets stripped + caged, the plan is to upgrade to an integra rad, and add an oil cooler and accusump. I mostly just want it to be inexpensive and anvil-reliable.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
You can get away with a few internal mods to take advantage of the up top power and keep it reliable. Just take as many precautions as you can in the oil delivery department.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
For now just a running stock Y8. Given the chumpcar-assigned value of the car, I don't have a whole lot of room to play with mods. Once the car gets stripped + caged, the plan is to upgrade to an integra rad, and add an oil cooler and accusump. I mostly just want it to be inexpensive and anvil-reliable.
Skip the integra radiator and get a del sol si vtec radiator. Same size as your current, looks stock but is a dual core.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In for the build! Love seeing people using their Hondas the correct way.. On the track!
Thanks! I have a bit of history with HPDE events in various other cars. The rest of my team hasn't even been to an autocross.

You can get away with a few internal mods to take advantage of the up top power and keep it reliable. Just take as many precautions as you can in the oil delivery department.
Yeah, I've been reading up on porting the oil pump. I'm planning to go over and replace the seals on the used engine we'll be installing, so I'll probably do that before we put it in.

Skip the integra radiator and get a del sol si vtec radiator. Same size as your current, looks stock but is a dual core.
Not really worried about cheating with the rad since I have the points to claim it. Would like to take advantage of the extra airflow and a second fan.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Thanks! I have a bit of history with HPDE events in various other cars. The rest of my team hasn't even been to an autocross.

Yeah, I've been reading up on porting the oil pump. I'm planning to go over and replace the seals on the used engine we'll be installing, so I'll probably do that before we put it in.

Not really worried about cheating with the rad since I have the points to claim it. Would like to take advantage of the extra airflow and a second fan.
You will need to drill the spot welds on the lower mounting brackets and re position them for the integra radiator. I have a huge triple core, something that should be plenty big for your needs, unless your climate is a lot warmer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts