Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a story with my old man's 03 civic lx.
Cars got 118k miles on it. timing belt service done at Honda dealership at 90k
and timing belt snapped sending piston in cylinder #2 up and smacking the o2 sensor out of the head. so now ive got a perfectly good car, with a blown motor. ive been looking around where I am (north Jersey) for a used D17a1 but cant find any for a reasonable price. Best price ive got was 120k motor for $750. that seems kind of steep since I see D17A with like 60k miles going for $400 and it comes with a exhaust manifold ( current one has a crack). I'd like to go for the D17a because it has Vtec and this cars going to be my daily while my Evo X sits at home as I am in school. If I were to pick up the D17A what other things would I need to get and have done in order for it to run right. I do not care for power ( my evo x makes plenty of power for me), if the car can run and go 80mph I am more than satisfied.

I am going to be doing the job myself, with the help of my old Auto shop teacher, but he isn't too sure about what needs to be done. I read that I need to get some harnesses and an ex ecu? but would the car run with the harness and ecu without it getting tuned?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Biggest problem is going to be the immobilizer on the 01+ ECU's. You can bypass this with K-Tuned Immobilizer / Multiplexor Bypass - JDM Honda Parts USA <--- this or you will need the ignition cylinder and key from the ECU you get. Or the other option is after you have everything installed have it towed to a Honda dealer and let them re program the keys to that ECU at hefty cost.

Others way around include using k-pro (tuning software) that disables the immobilizer function but is also expensive. You would be better off getting a non-vtec motor.

Also I doubt you pushed the 02 sensor out, I think you meant spark plug but I still don't see how breaking a timing belt causes the piston to contact the head, more likely you threw a rod bearing and hit the top of the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biggest problem is going to be the immobilizer on the 01+ ECU's. You can bypass this with K-Tuned Immobilizer / Multiplexor Bypass - JDM Honda Parts USA <--- this or you will need the ignition cylinder and key from the ECU you get. Or the other option is after you have everything installed have it towed to a Honda dealer and let them re program the keys to that ECU at hefty cost.

Others way around include using k-pro (tuning software) that disables the immobilizer function but is also expensive. You would be better off getting a non-vtec motor.

Also I doubt you pushed the 02 sensor out, I think you meant spark plug but I still don't see how breaking a timing belt causes the piston to contact the head, more likely you threw a rod bearing and hit the top of the combustion chamber.

Im guessing the timing belt broke causing the piston to make contact with the sparkplug. I was the one driving the car when it happened, and basically, the car wouldn't accelerate and would hesitate at constant speed. i came out of a toll booth and tried to accelerate but it wouldn't, so i floored it, and BOOOM, the car stalled and i pulled over to the side. compression test was done, 170,70,170,170. and the plug was blown out of the head.

theoretically could the d17a motor run with a lx ecu? and would it be reliable?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
You could use the d17a vtec motor and just put your camshaft and valvetrain from the d17a1 into the d17a vtec motor and I think that is all you would need to do so your stock ECU will work. I just don't know what to do about the vtec solenoid, if you just leave it, or if you need to make a block off plate or fill that one with JB weld. I forget that part.

You may need to use your old intake if the d17a doesn't have an EGR setup on it.

Also, you can't do a compression test with a busted timing belt

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Im guessing the timing belt broke causing the piston to make contact with the sparkplug. I was the one driving the car when it happened, and basically, the car wouldn't accelerate and would hesitate at constant speed. i came out of a toll booth and tried to accelerate but it wouldn't, so i floored it, and BOOOM, the car stalled and i pulled over to the side. compression test was done, 170,70,170,170. and the plug was blown out of the head.

theoretically could the d17a motor run with a lx ecu? and would it be reliable?
Someone may have just cross threaded a spark plug and it stripped and shot out, this could be the only problem with your motor, please check this out before spending hundreds on another motor setup.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
As BeerDrinkin said, it's impossible to do a compression test on an engine with a broken timing belt and the only way the piston can hit the head is if it travels further then normal. A timing belt does not limit the travel of a piston therefore breaking it will not allow the piston to go any higher then normal. The d17 is notorious for blowing out spark plug threads. I guarantee that's your problem. Simple time sert (commonly called Heli-Coil) repair and you're done. That thread will be stronger then before after this is done.

P.S. If you're not worried about speed or building this car, why bother with this whole vtec swap. Keep It Stupid Simple

1 - 10 of 10 Posts