Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my last engine was overheated by previous owner after several head gasket failures, I decided to rebuild a new engine.

d16z6 Block and crank and Pistons
D16y7 Oil Pump(because of crank speed sensor) d16z6 Water pump
D16y7 Oil pan (because of the oil pump)
D16y7 Head

Now in installed it and it is running super rough it does not seem to be running on four cylinders infact it seems that it is running on only two. So it is puffing smoke, it does not smell like coolant and there is no bubbles in my coolant resevoir, and there is none missing.

So symptoms
Smoke Smells rich
Shakes very badely at idle, sometimes will Die
Very Little Power below 3000 rpm
poor power above 3000rpm

Anybody with any ideas let me know, I cannot quite figure it out.
Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cam timing as far as I can tell is correct,
However I am not sure if a z6 crank and y8 head will do the same thing as the z6 head or not, I wouldn't think it would make a difference.

Oxygen sensors are new

And the only code showing up is Random Misfire,
Misfire in cyl 1, 2, 3, 4

Those are the only codes in the ecu

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hold up, why the hell are you running a non vtec head on a vtec block. Did you change any pinouts on your ecu. Your gonna need to convet back to notec if your car was once vtec.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Also if you used to have a d16z6 engine in there you would be running an obd2 head and all obd1 parts. Im pretty sure that they are intercheangable but not postive.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
have you done a compression test? are you running stock injectors with a stock ecu? are you getting spark to all 4 cyl? are there any other cel codes in the ecu? did you set your valve lash?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so the block has all OBDII sensors, so no problem there.
The ecu is non Vtec OBD2B ecu
The injectors are stock to match the non-vtec ECU
There is spark on all four cylinders, as checked by timing light.
New spark plugs as well.
Compression, no I have no done that yet... I will try it out tonight and post the results later tonight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so I am really confused now!
Now checked by the machine show was that the head and the block were true. New head gasket ARP Head studs.
compression
1 - 0psi
2 - 150psi
3 - 150psi
4 - 0psi

So I am hoping that someone could tell me what is going on... the car is not burning coolant there is no bubbles and after a 350km's running like shit there is 0 coolant missing from the system!

any ideas?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hold up, why the hell are you running a non vtec head on a vtec block. Did you change any pinouts on your ecu. Your gonna need to convet back to notec if your car was once vtec.
its an obd2 non vtec hatchback

·
Registered
259 Posts
ok so I am really confused now!
Now checked by the machine show was that the head and the block were true. New head gasket ARP Head studs.
compression
1 - 0psi
2 - 150psi
3 - 150psi
4 - 0psi

So I am hoping that someone could tell me what is going on... the car is not burning coolant there is no bubbles and after a 350km's running like shit there is 0 coolant missing from the system!

any ideas?
0? wtf
U didnt end up getting a new distributor to try out did you? as unfortunately the one I brought was only the early obd2

Hmmm..these little gremlins are always after you for some reason...btw im 95% sure you did,,but did you follow the helms online catalog?
Haynes is garbage. Did you follow the proper piston ring placement of the open ends of the rings according to the wrist pin?
Like as far as the compression goes..assuming there was no leak in the lines when you were conducting your test...the only culprit i can possibly think of is either piston ring related problem in #1,4 or for some strange reason for cylinders 1,4 your valves arent closing all the way.

Maybe your ecu for some reason took a plunge to the unknown as the only non-sensor related ideas that come to mind as far as the misfiring is distributor and/or ecu related.......assuming that the injectors are your stock obd2 ones that worked fine and are the same ones you were using when you drove the car before any mods were done.

·
Registered
Honda Civic 4g4d
16 Posts
1,4 your valves arent closing all the way.
Did you check and set all valve clearence when you put the head on, I dropped a Z6 and had a compression issue due to that, but not as severe

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did set the Valve clearance but I have screwed it up before so I will try that again and see how that works.

As far as the piston rings in the correct position... yes I did everything by the FACTORY service manual. they are correct in relation to wrist pin. I will do a leak down test on tuesday to make certain. I will come back and tell you guy's what comes up... but if you think of something not covered let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I did set the Valve clearance but I have screwed it up before so I will try that again and see how that works.

As far as the piston rings in the correct position... yes I did everything by the FACTORY service manual. they are correct in relation to wrist pin. I will do a leak down test on tuesday to make certain. I will come back and tell you guy's what comes up... but if you think of something not covered let me know.

Thanks
i dont think theres anything else for us to say untill you get the leakdown results or find out why there is no compression in 1 and 4.

good luck man

1 - 15 of 15 Posts