Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in my freshly built vitara/I-beam engine this weekend. It runs great except for the fact that it sounds like a little diesel engine. It gets quieter as the RPM's go up but louder as there is a load on the engine. I just adjusted the valves to spec and they didn't get too much quieter. What can cause this?

I'm thinking I might be a tooth off on the timing. My dad says it's my o2 sensor (throwing an o2 sensor heater code; 41). My good friend says that I didn't notch the block enough, but I can turn the crank by hand and I don't hear a knocking noise. Please let me know what you guys think.

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
well you must wait until all heat is out of the engine, this can take over night sometimes. then you adjust the valves, if they are new and or re lapped valves you will want to repeat this in a few hundred miles, i think all D motors sound like little diesels.

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
2,452 Posts
the "diesel" sound is normal.. there is nothing wrong with the engine

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
can you get a video or audio clip up?

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well you must wait until all heat is out of the engine, this can take over night sometimes. then you adjust the valves, if they are new and or re lapped valves you will want to repeat this in a few hundred miles, i think all D motors sound like little diesels.
yeah i let it cool for 3 or 4 hours.

the "diesel" sound is normal.. there is nothing wrong with the engine
thats interesting, is it the piston slap i've heard so much about?

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STD

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
yeah i let it cool for 3 or 4 hours.

thats interesting, is it the piston slap i've heard so much about?
3-4 hrs is not enough time. you need to let it cool overnight and do the specs when the engine has not run or run for long time(couple min) not enough to heat up.

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, it's nice to know that I don't have to worry so much about it thanks guys :TU:.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
doesnt the piston slap effect anything? it cant be good. i will be experiencing the same thing very soon.
in the LONG run it isnt good for an engein...but what the hell...its a budget build...just let ur motor warm up completly before u really get into it everytime u drive it and it should last for a while....mines going on 1 and half years seeing 14psi daily and 27psi all last summer....

·
Registered
713 Posts
i thought it had to do with the floating wrist design more than the piston slap?? well the motor that i used vitaras on makes the noise also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts