Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a D16y8 in my 98 Civic Ex Coupe and wanted to know which engine build would be a better fit for it. I’m looking for something with a little more Bark and the least amount of bite lol

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,296 Posts
k24.
/thread

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
What is the power and fuel economy goal?

What is your budget?

V6 swap is by far the cheapest actual swap if you go automatic.

small turbo build to 200hp would be easiest

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easiest, cheapest and a simple swap! My Civic is already an automatic but it’s currently having issues with the D16Y8 transmission so I might as well do a whole swap

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Its going to be cheaper to find another d18y8 transmission.

Of course, many times, its simply a matter of chanign the fluid a couple times, and the D16 auto's are back in business.

No matter what swap you go with, you are gonna be spending a grand or more. IF you do maintenance prior to running it, such as timing belt, oil pan gasket, front and rear main seals, perhaps a headgasket and new botls for good measure, etc...

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Go to a junkyard and rip out a full setup from a honda odyssey van, including the shifter, cables, harness, moutning brackets, ecu, immobilizer box, dash harness, and gauge cluster.

That would be the cheapest way to having a far more powerful setup.

Downside is the late 90s, early 00s honda v6 transmissions are purely at mercy of owners. Change the fluid regularily? transmissions lasted forever. Miss only a couple? transmission takes a shit.

Guess which type of owner was more common?

·
Registered
EJ1 Coupe
56 Posts
Go to a junkyard and rip out a full setup from a honda odyssey van, including the shifter, cables, harness, moutning brackets, ecu, immobilizer box, dash harness, and gauge cluster.
i was told the auto v6s didnt bolt upto the civics?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
i was told the auto v6s didnt bolt upto the civics?
OK?

I recommended going through with an automatic v6 swap because if he goes automatic B18 or B20, he is not gonna be satisfied, as the CRV transmissions are in the same boat as Honda Odyssey owners, 80-90% of them are foolish and think because its a honda, it will survive not getting normal maintenance.

Auto K swaps can be cheap as well, but gearing in the Accords are long, and while good for fuel economy, will suck for performance (remember he wants it cheap).

An Auto V6 gets the best of everything ONCE YOU FIND A GOOD TRANSMISSION. good fuel economy, possibly around 40mpg driving easy. Good performance, it is made to move around a minivan. and completely awesome reliability from the engine, which only gets hurt when someone does a timing belt and mess's up the timing (which is easy to do if you dont double check things out)

But I still think PROPERLY diagnosing the D16 automatic is the smarter move. My old 97 auto civic had a transmission that was flaring gears under heavy load, SLAMMING in and out of gears randomly when cold, and made a lot of noise in general.

3-4 fluid changes later after flushing the cooler, and the transmission was working as near to perfect as I could tell, minus slight hesitation when cold due to the wear and tear it had received from being crappy. Id have rated that transmission around 80% life if 100% life meant it was perfect.

Honda ATF. it makes a HUGE difference, and there is a very good reason why any and all honda techs will recommend honda's own fluids where automatics are concerned.
It is also expensive. 3-4 fluid changes on a potentially SHOT transmission is more expensive of a process than simply finding a good running one on the market somewhere for $100 and swapping it in OEM style.

·
Registered
EJ1 Coupe
56 Posts
OK?

I recommended going through with an automatic v6 swap because if he goes automatic B18 or B20, he is not gonna be satisfied, as the CRV transmissions are in the same boat as Honda Odyssey owners, 80-90% of them are foolish and think because its a honda, it will survive not getting normal maintenance.

Auto K swaps can be cheap as well, but gearing in the Accords are long, and while good for fuel economy, will suck for performance (remember he wants it cheap).

An Auto V6 gets the best of everything ONCE YOU FIND A GOOD TRANSMISSION. good fuel economy, possibly around 40mpg driving easy. Good performance, it is made to move around a minivan. and completely awesome reliability from the engine, which only gets hurt when someone does a timing belt and mess's up the timing (which is easy to do if you dont double check things out)
where i am in the world we didnt get any late 90s manual v6 accords (or odysseys if they came manual?), its somewhat been a bit of a pipedream for myself to jswap my coupe, we have quite a few auto ones that find there was way to junkyards with burnt auto clutch packs, so the motors are cheap, but when i researched that path, apparently it wasnt possible.

so thanks, il have to look back into it

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
yeah, the transmissions are physically strong, but old worn out or non-honda trans fluid is what kills them FAST.

Most of the cheap mounting kits utilize the automatics. The idea is perhaps buy a running vehicle with it, and go from there.

honda van would be from 1999 and up

So if they are notorious for being junk around you as well, then finding another 96-00 automatic D16 trans is best. and be sure it matches engine. The d16y8's trans must be matched. If you find a d16y7 automatic, it will function, but the d16y8 ecu will think it is junk, because the gear ratios are different.

Just be aware!

Have fun regardless!
-Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts