Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about purchasing a new DD in the next year or so ... I've started doing my research and now it's time to get some "expert" opinions. I've come to appreciate and respect most of the advice I hear on this board so I've got to have you all chime in. First I would like you to vote on which one you think is the best ... then I want you to tell my why I shouldn't get the other ones. I'm not interested in what you think is good about the cars ... I want to know what's bad about them. I've already picked these based on what I consider "pros" now I need the cons. If you have an alternate suggestion I'm all ears ... in that case I'd like to hear the pros of your suggestion alongside the cons of the one's I've posted. This won't be happening for a while and I'm sure I'll change my mind a million times ... but I like to have all of the information possible so I can make an informed decesion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If it were me, and those were the choises, BMW all the way.

The inline 6 is one of the smoothest motors Ive ever driven and makes decent power and torque. Not horrible on gas as long as you are attempting to conserve. There is plenty of room for kids/family/friends. Good drivetrain layout and a driving experience rivaled by few in the price range/age group. Due to the age and pure abundance of these out there, the cost of parts is steadily dropping and they are pretty easy to work on. I had a 1993 525it and loved every bit of it. Wanted an E39 (the bodystyle you are referring to) to replace it.

The MS3 and S4, being sport compact with turbos, would end up being another project down the road. They are fast and fun as is, so naturally, youd want them to be faster....and if you are like most, you wouldnt leave it well enough alone, thus not the best DD option of this group.

The Volvo, expensive cost of ownership. Parts, labor, ect....too pricey for my tastes.

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
I had an E39 540i/6 M-Sport

I loved it, except the cost of parts. Main reason I sold it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah the 525 is much much cheaper to own than the 540. Although....that 540i/6 speed is a fun ass car!!!!!

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I had an E39 540i/6 M-Sport

I loved it, except the cost of parts. Main reason I sold it.
yeah, and they like to break a lot.

out of those, the mazdaspeed3. the rest will be parts/maintenance nightmares (especially the B5 S4, they're 300zx twin turbo level nightmares to work on)

·
Registered
333 Posts
How do they like to break alot. Mine was tough as nails and never gave any trouble. It had 214,000 miles when I got rid of it. The self leveling suspension and all the electronics still worked flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay! Keep them coming.

I'm primarily looking for something comfortable, quiet (cabin noise) and fun. I love my Honda but damn that thing is loud and stiff.

I know for a fact that no matter what I get I will not leave well enough alone ... but I won't be diving into it as deeply as my Honda. It will get mods ... but I won't go all crazy.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
mazdaspeed would be my choice.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Yay! Keep them coming.

I'm primarily looking for something comfortable, quiet (cabin noise) and fun. I love my Honda but damn that thing is loud and stiff.

I know for a fact that no matter what I get I will not leave well enough alone ... but I won't be diving into it as deeply as my Honda. It will get mods ... but I won't go all crazy.
Then my vote is Lexus GS400 or even the LS400. The LS being bigger and more comfortable but the GS being a sporty smaller version of it. V8 power and Lexus dependability. Why not?

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts
3 Series BMW I really like the AWD 330xi they are cheap enough to work on yet classy

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
How do they like to break alot. Mine was tough as nails and never gave any trouble. It had 214,000 miles when I got rid of it. The self leveling suspension and all the electronics still worked flawlessly.
my cousin had (/has, but it's broken) a 98 or 99 528i, it had a bunch of suspension problems, then finally the radiator cracked, the headgasket blew and it's all fucked up.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
Then my vote is Lexus GS400 or even the LS400. The LS being bigger and more comfortable but the GS being a sporty smaller version of it. V8 power and Lexus dependability. Why not?
another vote for a 2nd gen GS or 2nd gen LS. LS is Lexus flagship model. and according to their forums, best build quality in Toyota's lineup. I'd go with either or. but for the the GS v8 only ie; GS400, GS430

I had a w124 MBZ one time. it was a 300e. pretty nice car as well. difficult to work on. But I still love the look and I still turn back when I see a clean one pass by. If I were to get that I'd go v8 as well. e420.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Civic STD
197 Posts
I say a Honda Fit. Drives nice, quiet and good gas mileage. Or you can be a boss and get an Accord CrossTour.

You don't want a car that will rob your life savings if you need a repair *cough* BMW *cough*. Plus 4cyl are cheaper than 6cyl at the pump.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can haz manual transmission?

another vote for a 2nd gen GS or 2nd gen LS. LS is Lexus flagship model. and according to their forums, best build quality in Toyota's lineup. I'd go with either or. but for the the GS v8 only ie; GS400, GS430

I had a w124 MBZ one time. it was a 300e. pretty nice car as well. difficult to work on. But I still love the look and I still turn back when I see a clean one pass by. If I were to get that I'd go v8 as well. e420.
300e is cool and unassuming ... love me a sleeper.

I say a Honda Fit. Drives nice, quiet and good gas mileage. Or you can be a boss and get an Accord CrossTour.

You don't want a car that will rob your life savings if you need a repair *cough* BMW *cough*. Plus 4cyl are cheaper than 6cyl at the pump.
Fit ... meh performance and looks goofy. CrossTour ... tell me you're kidding ... that's in the running with the Aztec for ugliest car every produced. Not too worried about the pump ... my honda is currently getting small V6 mileage anyway (silly stroker).

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Didn't see anything about tranny preference. The lexus isn't a brand that offers that but even a die hard manual fan like me would still love a GS400 or LS400 just because of the reliability and power it makes already.

If manual if all you will go with than the 540i is good. Spendy but good. Mazdaspeed would be good too though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The mid 90's BMW 6 cylinders are cheap to work on. I had one 5 series and 7 different 3 series, both 4 and 6 cylinder. Manual and automatic. Parts are cheap as hell. Its the newer versions of those engines that are expensive and the new electronics.

Head gaskets and radiators blow on all cars if you over heat them....BMWs are no more prone to it than anything else.

Suspension problems, well, dont get an E46 or newer (2001 or newer 3 series) and you dont have the subframe problems. Otherwise they are stronger than anything else ive owned. If you beat the piss out of it, its going to break...but again, that applies to all cars.

That being said, we rally'd the hell out of our heavy ass 525 wagon, hauled kegs, furniture, all kinds of stuff. It saw as much dirt as it did pavement back in Hawaii. It never even lost its alignment. In 4 years of abuse, All I ever had to do to it was replace the belt, and the front control arm bushings at 199,700 miles......which is kinda understandable. $30 for the pair on pelicanparts.com

Ill keep preaching BMW durability all day long Bang for the buck, in the market you are researching, you cant beat em.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as the BMWs are concerned I'm looking primarily at the 6 cylinder (and M-sport if I can find it) flavor ... unless an M5 comes up ... then I'm not sure I can say no. I hear the 540 has some timing chain guide issues or something like that ... could be wrong but that's what I hear.

Anyone have any actual experience with the B5 S4 (not just hey this guy I know said that someone he knew had a friend that ...)? I keep hearing mixed reviews. Turbos go bad ... turbos only go bad when people are stupid and don't do proper warm up/cool down ... find one that has already had the turbos replaced. From what I can tell the turbos are the main issue but the engine itself is pretty stout (maybe I can just track down a stage 3).

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Come on I know there have to be more people with opinions and insight than this.

Honed in on the "requirements" a little better:

1) Four Door (preferably)
2) Manual Transmission
3) Safe (Chances are I'll have kidlings in the car with me on occasion)
4) Fun - when the kidlings (and wife) are not in the car I want it to put a smile on my face.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts