Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just picked up a new project. Its a 91 civic with the d15b1 and its low miles around 55k. Was thinking a mild single cam turbo build. But this is my first honda that isnt a big red. any advice on what the d15s like? I've built boosted cars and trucks in the past. But I'm a virgin to Honda's. I just want a little go getter that will surprise people. doesnt have to be primal. I have my truck for that. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
D15's are plenty strong enough with the right piston/rod combo and a proper tune. Several 300hp+ civics rolling around as daily's in my area. Extremely easy to built a boosted d15/16 for under a grand tune included. Just avoid ebay for rotating parts, and dont get a PoP n BaNg skeetskeet honda boi 2 step tune

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've been able to read about d15 builds I think I'm gonna go with the 1.6si head with a skunk2 intake a 4to1 top mount turbo header. Small turbo from greddy. Found a great little kit being clearanced with intercooler piping injectors and ecm for 700! And a bisimoto stage 2 turbo cam. And some decent piston and rods. Havent decided on those yet. Should yield me 235-260ish at crank. That should make my little 1600 lb civic happy. Lol. Does that combo sound about right?

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
45 Posts
If you're talking about the D16A6 ('88-91 Si/EX/AWD) head, it's the same casting as what you already have. There may be differences in the cam profile and springs, but you're talking about an aftermarket cam, so that's moot. The D16Z6 ('92-95 Si/EX) head will fit, boosts the compression somewhat, and gives you VTEC on the intake valves. If you haven't read up on it, vanilla VTEC lets the engine change between cam profiles on the fly - a low speed around-town profile and a higher lift/duration lumpy cam for maximum power at higher RPMs. '96+ Si's use engines from other families (B, K and L series) - the heads won't fit. Other '96-00 Civic models have compatible heads, all of which will boost compression IIRC. The EX's D16Y8 head is similar to the D16Z6's (vanilla VTEC), the HX's D16Y5 uses VTEC-E (switches between 12-valve and 16-valve operation for fuel efficiency, not what you're after), and the D16Y7 is non-VTEC but should still boost compression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well if they're the same casting I'm just gonna spend a weekend porting and polishing mine. I was just wanting higher flow numbers. I dont want to high of compression. I've built lots of boosted motors and a CR of 9-9.5:1 tends to build sweet boosted engines without ripping head bolts out or crumpling rods. After boost effective CR should be about 11:1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts