Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, After working every spare second for the past 6 days I've replaced my clutch, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing, as well as had my flywheel resurfaced. So after getting everything finally put back together today, I pushed in the clutch, held my breath, and started her up. So far everything was going smoothly. So now the real test, I started to let the clutch out in neutral and it began making this horrible scratching/grinding sound :shocked: so I quickly pushed the clutch back in. So after contemplating what that sound could be I though maybe the gears weren't lined up correctly or something, since I had also installed a short-shifter, so I put it in first and s-l-o-w-l-y started to clutch out once again and like magic, there was no sound and I could feel the car wanting to move forward. Next, I pushed the clutch and tried the same thing in reverse and once again no sound and I could feel the car wanting to move backwards. So now I'm thinking that my diagnosis was correct about the gears being lined up. Now with a little more confidence, I put it in neutral and started letting the clutch out again....... no sound....but....the RPM's began dopping as though it were under load, like it was still in reverse except it wasn't trying to move. So I tried first again and the exact same thing happened, the RPM's dropped like it's in gear except it's not trying to move at all. Same for reverse. So now here I am at a total loss. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or what I should do now?

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
i mean like, im sur you put the stick in the neutral postion, but can you move it left and right freely so taht the tranny internals are actually in neutral? or is it stiff liek its still in gear?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not sure if this will help but did you use a clutch alignment tool when installing the clutch?

If all else fails throw the stock shifter back in just to see what happens.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I used the clutch alignment tool. I was planning on swapping the shifter just to try it. Ya never know right.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Not sure if this will help but did you use a clutch alignment tool when installing the clutch?
wont matter. if the tranny splined up, thats all that matters. once the clutch pedal is pressed in, the disc is floating anyways, and your input shaft would serve the same purpose as the alignment tool.

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
i know that you said you installed a new throwout bearing but it could be like mine, the input shaft bearing was fucked thus making the input shaft wobble, thus making the throwout bearing stick to the shaft, and that making the drag in my car while in neutral, and then i would just push the clutch back in and when i let out on the clutch it would let loose and then pop the clutch causing damage. may not help but just a thought. Did you try and turn the input shaft or anything to see if there was any wear?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
that happened to me when i put my clutch in. I went and bought a new clutch, flywheel, slave and master cylinder. (it was a good excuses to, I was in a rush) Put it back together, same thing. i adjusted the pedal all the way out which made it better but not perfect. I said fuck it, take it around the block. Within a quarter mile, it was perfect. You may just need to drive it around the block, adjust the clutch pedal some, or both. Good luck!

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
are you sure you put the throwout bearing in the proper direction? cause i've heard of people puting them in backwards ...

·
Registered
721 Posts
so...how much did the rpm drop? ridiculous amount? or just a 'c' hair?? There really isn't alot that could go wrong with your clutch...especially if everything is new...maybe you really did put the throw out bearing in backwards....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no so good. I managed to get it out of the garage but it definaitly wasn't gonna be street worthy enough to take it for a spin. My friend said that he just swapped out his axles and had the same problem. He said that what happpened was he did'nt put the axles in far enough. maybe I'm having the same problem? I'll check it out today and reply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts