Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy works for a local car dealer and asked if I would like to come work there. They need three writers. He said based off what he knows of my past work experience I would fit the job.

I am apprehensive for a couple reasons.

1) I have a family to look out for and have been at my current job almost a decade with no letting up in sight. 401K, health, good pay etc.
2) No idea how to do the job, what it entails, except form experience with the f#$k heads at the local Honda dealership.

I do want a change of career, looking for automotive as one choice so this could be good, a foot in the door so to speak.

Does any one have experience with this job? Service writer, pretty much handle the customer as they enter the shop and get them sorted and write up the jobs that need done. Send them to the tech or sales person and get a score for service quality.

The pay opportunities are vast, I can make a lot more then I am making here, if it works. There are commission incentives and other cash programs I could make a killing...but at what cost to morality? Maybe I am over thinking this, so I am asking opinions and advice.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
From what I've experienced any job that gives commissions for sales looks better than it turns out to be.

I say go for it. Whatever you want to do. Take your ASE tests and make decent as a mechanic... I dunno what your all about but good luck

Also being immoral for money is horrible luck IMO so I'd take a pass on any of that nonsense

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I am all about? That is not simple. Would require its own thread.

I don't want to hurt any one for gain. The base salary is like $2200 a month, then you get perks as you do "better". It is funny, I saw myself going to a job where I don't have to deal with customers directly, then this popped up and made me think.

I answered my self, was just wondering if I was looking at it wrong, as far as the pressure sales type stuff service writers do to me sometimes. I do not want to do that job, that way, so can it be done with out being a crook?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
So at the very worst your monthly take-home pay is $2200 before taxes. I'd ask myself, could I live a month on that pay. I know not every month would be JUST the BASE pay, but those months that you do have a bad month, can you afford it?

If so, go for the change!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am currently a tech at a GM dealership, moving to sales in a week for a new oppurtunity. I have heard both good and bad on this position. We have two here. One is very good at his job, but also not afraid to make some shady decisions on his own. He does very well for himself and makes a killing, the other guy, who i am under, is complete opposite, hard at selling and almost seems hes afraid at times of the confrontation of someone just simply telling him no.

What it comes down to is are your techs honest? Are they trying to upsell things that truly need upsold? or trying to make a quick buck.

In my eyes, a good middle between these two guys would be absolutely perfect. Sell what needs sold, dont be pushy but express to the customer what it will do in the long run. Your always gonna have shitty customers or assholes walk in. Just gotta handle it.

Ive heard its a hard job for one simple reason, you either have unhappy customers wanting their cars, or techs wanting work.

In the end this is all my opinion based on what ive experienced being a tech. Do i think its a good job? Hell ya if you can master the techniques in a moral way.

Would i ever do it? probably not but i would heavily consider the advantages and i also said id never tech either and here i am.

I know this wont help a lot and its mostly rambling but i thought some more real world insite wouldnt hurt much for you

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Don't know anything about the job but here's my advise:

1) Go to the interview
2) Ask questions concerning opportunity of growth, health insurance, stability, 401k, the companies recent sales history, etc. (basically make them be a good fit for you).
3) If they answer right, be a slight bit over confident that you can do the job and emphasize that it would "take a lot to get you to leave a company that you've invested 10 years in".

At the end of the day, if they make you an offer, you can still walk away from it if it's not good enough.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well put boys, thanks.

I like helping people, I used to do it over the phone. EFT disputes, where customers dont get their cash as requested. Call pissed, hang up saying I am the best and thank you. I can do that part, its the cut throat nature of commission based places that has me thinking.

I have insight on what is happening there and can probably use it to my advantage. Things to think on this eve with the wife for sure. Keep em coming DSO, this is helping.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Having worked at a dealer for years I can tell you I see the types of writers we have. If you go in and make an honest effort to please every customer you have rather than pushing them in/out just to get to the next customer will in the long run pay off for you, word of mouth can get you good business. Also with any job where you deal with the public just make sure you can deal with the stress that you will be put under, of course I live in Nashville and it's fucking busy here.

Also the most important thing about selling, you are not selling them a product or service, they are already there for that. You are selling yourself to them, make them feel comfortable and get them to do alot of the talking and selling comes easy after you have established a little bit of a relationship with them.

They first few days are awkward but get past it and work on selling/people skills and you will be amazed how well you can do, it's super easy trust me.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks hommie. Was waiting for you to pop up in here due to your knowledge of the business. Good stuff in here. As always, much love DSO.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just to be nosy, what job will you be leaving that has so much time invested?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At first it was tech support, got bored and helped start and eventually manage the parts department.

The last couple of years, we were bought and gutted, I was kept on as a repair technician in a depot return department. I clean up and refurbish check scanners of a few types.

The company I work for is now Burroughs, they have a lot of heritage but I feel it has fallen off and after the loss of their partners they are a mere shell. We have a long lease signed and our department is making money so I am not too worried, but this is a failing company. It is gunna get sold again and when it does....

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I'm a service writer at a Nissan, Lincoln and Honda dealership. Been working at this company for over 6 years and I really don't see that changing.

1. It is stressful.
2. I have never made the "base" salary.(Not even close)
3. People skills are an absolute must.

You don't have to be immoral to be good at it. Just try your best to take care of the customer. You won't make everyone happy.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I assume 2 means you always went over....lol.

Thanks hommie.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Sales don't have to be pushy. You can offer stuff that you think there is a legitmate need for. If you actually know cars you can sell services "properly" and give them a true cost/benefit analysis. I don't think I could be a salesman per se, but I can usually give an accurate picture of something and then it will either sell itself or it won't.

Don't give them a sales pitch give them a picture ... people like pictures.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My buddy said it that way. He doesn't go high pressure he just helps them and gets positive feed back and return business.

I know cars pretty good now that I have had to work on mine the last few years.

Working up my resume, going down there Saturday to go speak to some one.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Maybe I should look into this service writer stuff. I know I guy who owns a dealership .... hmmmm. Well I've got few years before my current IT project finishes up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having worked both sides of the sales/service wall at a dealership, I believe that Service Writers have the best job on the lot. Purely my opinion, but there are many transferable skills and resume-worthy experience points that could be taken away from it too.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks man, good looking out DSO. This helped. Will fill you guys in when something happens.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright, bump it up.

So here I am still with my company. The original offer did not pan out. There is a new opportunity and I am jumping on it.

I am attempting to get in to the service department at a dealership in Portland. This will be my foot in the door, either in parts, where I carry a ton of knowledge from my previous position. Or as a service tech, I know enough to get me in the door the rest will be a bs job till I can get some real understanding of their systems and use my skill set with their technology.

I have an in and did some of the tests he had to do so I get a bit of behind the scene of how they think. Also learned a few things about some 15 models being released.

Spoke with the manager yesterday, punched up me resume and cover letter, sending it tonight. Super stoked and hopeful.

That is all. Carry on with the debauchery. Will update either way it goes. Thanks again for the help on this boys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts